Improving bow accuracy ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Revelation View Post
    Any good tips on developing better groupings at 30-40 yards etc. ?

My groupings at 20 yards are tight but once I start moving back to 30-40-50 yards my groupings really start spreading out. Really would like for theses groupings to tighten up at 30-40 yards so I can build confidence in taking that 30-40 yard shot !!

Thanks !!!

Not an expert here but see a lot of good advice. If you’re located in the area of round rock/Taylor I would be willing to shoot with you see if I spot anything drastic. Again not a certified coach but have helped a lot of bow hunters get started and have a helped a couple with the problem you mentioned. Always willing if I am able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

video yourself if you have a camera. You can get one of those Panasonic 180's for 200.00 that will really help you critique yourself and be able to show others as well to take a look at your form.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
        If you want to improve your shooting at 30-50, shoot a lot from 60-90. Shooting longer distances really helps improve your short game.

Time on the range will help immensely. A good stabilizer setup with help slow your pin float. And making sure your bow is tuned correctly will make a big difference too.
        this is the best answer you will get,,,, if the bow is capable the only thing that will make 30-50 better is 60-90 yards,,, it causes you to work on your mechanics with a better mind set, and you will know exactly what you did wrong before the arrow gets there in very short order,,, long range does not allow you the luxury of being sloppy

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
          Get a GOOD coach.

Make sure draw length is correct.

Solid, repeatable anchor point.

Aiming drills.

Blank bailing.

Proper front and back stabilizer setup can help once form is on point.
          Very good simplified steps.

Comment

Everything has to be right. A floated barrel with barrel contact on the stock will hinder accuracy. Same with a bow. If it isn’t tuned perfectly, you will not get consistent flight.

I suggest throwing on a fixed blade broadhead and shooting it at 20 and 30 yards. If it has same impact as your field points, then you know you just need to work on aiming and holding steady. If it does not impact with your field points at those ranges, your bow needs properly tuned. And shooting it through paper and throwing it in the case doesn’t mean it’s tuned.

I would start there to see what the problem is before looking for corrections. It’s either you or the bow.

Comment

shoot more

Comment

If hes not getting good consistent groups at 30 moving to 60 ain't gonna help him if his mechanics are out of whack. That's a really good way to ingrain even worse problems.

Do you have a solid, repeatable anchor?
                Where on your finger is the trigger contacting?
                Do you have a distinct shot process you go through every shot?
                Are you capable of letting down at any time up until the shot is released?

Comment

I shoot out to 80ish when I practice and when I shoot well go through the mental setup.....grip...anchor point...level..aim....shoot. it works. find out what works for you and repeat as required.

Comment

Originally posted by Revelation View Post
                    At 30 -40 yards I'm getting on a good day 4"-5" groups but on average 10" -12" groups
                    Just need to figure out how to be consistent
                    I do not shoot with a stabilizer. I have found with a stabilizer I have the tendency to stay low of aim point - so I shoot better with out one.
                    The process of setting up stabilizers is important. Most throw a front on and call it good. If you are dropping low, you need to add a counter balance to offset the weight out front. In other words, a side stabilizer. Front slows pin drift then the side not only helps with right/left but also counters that feeling that you cant get the pin up.

If you have no interest in stabilizer set up, then I would say look at anchors... willing to add a nose nock? Little material on the string so that it hits the same point every time.

What size pins are you using?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Improving bow accuracy ???

Before you reinvent the wheel make sure the bow is properly tuned. Groups opening up at greater distances could be center shot location, vertical nock travel or a few other issues.

If that’s all good outside of quality practice you may look into moving the sight radius out and decreasing the peep size if you can.

Comment

Bow fit
                        A lot of guys shoot a bow with a long draw length
                        Post a pic of yourself at full draw, once guys can see your form they can better answer your question

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                          start practicing at 50-70 yards, it will make your 30-40 yard shots seem like a chip shot, truly will help....

research joel Turner and John Dudley, those two guys will increase your accuracy guaranteed
                          Disagree with this. If OP's mechanics are off, they are going to be much worse at a greater distance. And once that happens, the potential to develop bad habits, or develop a hesitation, or second guess when to release can happen that take even more time to fix.

Comment

Nope, it forces you to tighten your form, you might suck at 60-70 yards but your groups are guaranteed to shorten, all archery coaches use this drill as a trainer for form, but like I said I recommended two archery gurus to master the form

Comment

I have discovered that the best way for me to get better at long distance is lots of practice. After shooting for 30-40 minutes my arms start to get tired (12 years off of bow hunting) and that is when I really start to shoot all over. I try not to shoot for more than 30 minutes without taking a decent little break. muscle memory for me is the hardest to get back to.

Comment

1. Hit the gym. Seriously, having better core strength does help with stability & keeps the pin from floating too much.
                                2. Get a good stabilizer, as they work
                                3. Practice at 10 yards minimum past your target range for hunting. Want to hunt at 30 yards, practice at 40 yards....................

Comment

Working...
                                X