Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLD - New proposed fees for MLD properties

Anyone hear about this yet?

Looks like they may charge $300 per year to stay MLD (conservation option)

Thoughts?

Clubs will just pass the cost on to the members.

Comment

Fairly minimal fee, although it's likely to grow as each year passes. You do get 2 extra months of hunting season.
      Last edited by Chad C; 12-11-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I was about to post the same thing. We have been using that program from the start. I have seen it evolve since the 1990s. At the beginning , TPWD was more involved and issued the permits. Now, we pretty much do it all. I don’t need a biologist to come out and tell me how to manage the herd. We perform all the counts, Talley up the numbers and submit my recommendation. If approved, I have to print off the permits. Also, we are the ones that put the harvest records into their website. Why would I want to pay money to someone when I’m doing the work? Just doesn’t make since. They are estimating a revenue increase of 1.5mil from this....
        Attached Files

Comment

I can see where it could turn into a program that actually does the opposite of managing the deer herds properly if they are going to create a focus on making money off of the program. The more people they sign up, the more money they make from the program. The more people they sign up, the farther away they are getting from properly managing the states deer herd as they have slacked WAY off over the last 10 years on the amount of effort that they put into the program. It used to take quite a bit of time and effort to determined how many tags they were going to give you. Now they basically ask you how many you want and it's a done deal.

I don't mind them making revenue off of the program and don't think the cost of $300 is unfair at all, but they need to get back to being in control of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Tye View Post
            I was about to post the same thing. We have been using that program from the start. I have seen it evolve since the 1990s. At the beginning , TPWD was more involved and issued the permits. Now, we pretty much do it all. I don’t need a biologist to come out and tell me how to manage the herd. We perform all the counts, Talley up the numbers and submit my recommendation. If approved, I have to print off the permits. Also, we are the ones that put the harvest records into their website. Why would I want to pay money to someone when I’m doing the work? Just doesn’t make since. They are estimating a revenue increase of 1.5mil from this....
            Yes! And this is basically what I told them when I sent in a response.

Comment

We hire a private biologist and print our tags. Exactly what am I getting for $300? How about a bird watching permit to make TPWD some money.

Comment

I just saw the email this morning too. Nothing more than a money grab, however I feel like tpwd probably does need more money to improve its operations and purpose, but I'd be curious to know how and what they plan on doing with the money. The cost is fairly minimal, but why is it needed? Like Tye said, they do nothing really.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

More government entities who can't manage money. About like the majority of America

Comment

$300 for what? I've been MLD for 12 years and I do all the work. I communicate with the biologist from time to time for advice, they maintain the LMA website but I don't see how that warrants $300 a year. I enter all the details myself and physically administer all facets of our WMP myself. We even print the tags ourselves now.

Comment

All about the money!!

Comment

I was told TPWD wants to hire more biologists in the state, maybe 5-8 in counties with high hunting and participation where 1 biologist needs help. I do agree they are under staffed.

BUT..... we do all the work for tags now unlike 6-8 years ago when they did it all. So they already doing less work, and want more money now. Find out how to manage money and quit asking for $300 + $30 a year. BS if you ask me

Comment

Here is the info to contact them:

Comments should be submitted via the department’s website at https://www.tpwd.texas.gov/business/...ublic_comment/

Comments on the proposed changes may also be submitted to Alan Cain by phone at (830) 480-4038 or email alan.cain@tpwd.texas.gov.

Comment

Quit MLD, let the deer overpopulate, and maybe TPWD will joint venture with another governmental agency to pay hunters/landowners to enroll in a MLD program to help control populations....

Chess, not checkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                              I just saw the email this morning too. Nothing more than a money grab, however I feel like tpwd probably does need more money to improve its operations and purpose, but I'd be curious to know how and what they plan on doing with the money. The cost is fairly minimal, but why is it needed? Like Tye said, they do nothing really.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                              It’s to hire biologists to help people that need/want assistance.

The program is way bigger than it used to be and it stretches the existing staff to the limit.

Comment

Working...
                              X