Rut in Erath county ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rut in Erath county ?

A buddy of mine has a place just outside Stephenville and he is allowing my son to do a little hunting next weekend. I was shocked when he said that he doesn't care if my son takes a buck. I immediately asked him if the deer will be rutting yet and he said he has no idea. Looking for a little feedback guys. Thanks in advance

Could be some soon, but probably closer to early/mid November.

Comment

I hunt in northern Erath county and saw a mature buck chasing a doe across a pasture a week ago. I am also seeing bucks in bachelor groups at my feeder though. There seems to always be some does that will come into estrus in October. I have hunted in Erath my whole life and saw my first doe get breed 2 weeks before the season opener in 1998. it happens more that people know.

Comment

I live in Granbury so only 30 min away from S-ville. We have a feeder in our back yard(2 acres) that draws 8-12 does/fawns every evening from the neighboring woods. So far we’ve had one smallish buck check in a few days ago but no major activity yet. I’ve seen a few bucks in the area snooping around this week but that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just to give you an update on this... Yesterday we saw more deer/buck activity than we've seen all year. Then this morning we just had a big swollen up 10 point cruise through and check the feeder behind our house and he made a scrape while he was there too. The bucks generally stay in another undeveloped area 1/2-3/4 mile away and we only have does until the rut when the bucks start roaming. So they are on the prowl now. At least where we are located.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
            Just to give you an update on this... Yesterday we saw more deer/buck activity than we've seen all year. Then this morning we just had a big swollen up 10 point cruise through and check the feeder behind our house and he made a scrape while he was there too. The bucks generally stay in another undeveloped area 1/2-3/4 mile away and we only have does until the rut when the bucks start roaming. So they are on the prowl now. At least where we are located.
            Thanks for the update 👍

Comment

Right on time IMO. Should be wide open 1st weekend of rifle season. Happens a little earlier than most think. I've been lucky enough to witness breeding many times in my life. Some hunters never see this. I've witnessed mature bucks breeding does in Hamilton, Bosque, Mills counties from 10/18-11/13. I don't buy into the concept of the younger bucks getting rowdy first while the big boys sit back and watch. I think there are just fewer big boys around, so much of what you see are the younger bucks. Case in point....Mills county while on my way to the bow stand on 10/18/14, I witnessed a breeding party of 6 bucks on a single doe. The oldest, a known 9.5yo buck kept all suitors away from her. It was pretty intense to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                Hey fellow Granburyite! I always watch the deer in a big pasture on the north loop, (close to the Shell on 51) as there are some BIG Bucks always in the pasture. Have not seen any chasing so far, but got a feeling after the cold front blowing in tomorrow it should pick up.

Comment

I have a few places to hunt in erath county, the place I’ve been hunting regularly is south of town a bit

Monday morning I had a 3 yo and a 5 yo come in to the feeder and the mature buck was posturing at the younger buck quit a bit, he allowed him to eat with him under the feeder eventually but was definitely showing some dominance.

I made 2 mock scrapes about 10 days ago and chked them this morning after the hunt and 1 of the 2 was active, so IMO they got there mind on it.

My bet is with this cold front coming tomorrow the action will prolly heat up and I bet they will be going pretty strong come opening weekend of rifle season, that aligns pretty well with how it’s been the last couple years. Shot one last year on 11/8 that was dogging a doe

I did notice 3 dead deer this morning on my way home to Granbury and 2 of them looked to be big bodied, I know deer get hit all year around but Ive noticed year after year that when the bar ditches start getting lined with dead deer that the rut is normally on... goodluck this weekend to your boy and if ya need anything hollar at me, Im gonna try to get in a sit or 2 this weekend myself

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                    Hey fellow Granburyite! I always watch the deer in a big pasture on the north loop, (close to the Shell on 51) as there are some BIG Bucks always in the pasture. Have not seen any chasing so far, but got a feeling after the cold front blowing in tomorrow it should pick up.

Hey there looks like there are a few of us on TBH. we actually live right back in there off of the NE corner of the loop. There are a lot of big mature bucks roaming around bc there is 0 hunting in the area as far as I can tell. I had probably a half dozen really nice mature bucks on trail cam in my back yard last year. The 10 this morning was the first to show up this year.

Comment

I’m 30 minutes north of there and it’s almost always the 3rd week of November

Comment

Yep it's on, no nocturnal deer either lol.

Comment

My lease is in Erath. As of last week we still have bachelor groups coming into the feeders.

Comment

Nephew shot a good buck this morning that was pushing 3 doe. Had a swollen up neck and dark tarsals.

Comment

Not yet but getting there, they are pushing does around in Comal county. Bet the boys are starting bto get antsy but it will get better in there

Comment

Working...
                              X