No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 13 year old son is wanting to get into fly fishing and I haven’t the foggiest idea about fly fishing. I was looking online and found these inexpensive options for him a rod/reel combo to give it a go.

Are these a waste of money and his time? Is there a better option for him to get started?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
      My 13 year old son is wanting to get into fly fishing and I haven’t the foggiest idea about fly fishing. I was looking online and found these inexpensive options for him a rod/reel combo to give it a go.

Are these a waste of money and his time? Is there a better option for him to get started?

If $30 is your budget its a great buy. My Dad, who got me interested in fly fishing, probably has a similar rig from Wal-Mart.

Now, if you want to get something a little more upscale but not break the bank, decide on your budget, go to a Fly Shop, let them know what you're interested in spending and let them help you out.

Now, if you don't have a local shop near by, I've bought a fly rig from these guys on sale - https://www.reelflyrod.com/

Here is one that has everything and is a step above the one you're looking at from Amazon - https://www.reelflyrod.com/redington...0-on-sale.html

It will come rigged and ready to go fish.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
        If $30 is your budget its a great buy. My Dad, who got me interested in fly fishing, probably has a similar rig from Wal-Mart.

Now, if you want to get something a little more upscale but not break the bank, decide on your budget, go to a Fly Shop, let them know what you're interested in spending and let them help you out.

Now, if you don't have a local shop near by, I've bought a fly rig from these guys on sale - https://www.reelflyrod.com/

Here is one that has everything and is a step above the one you're looking at from Amazon - https://www.reelflyrod.com/redington...0-on-sale.html

It will come rigged and ready to go fish.
        That $30.00 rig is probably just as good as a 10 year old $200.00 rig. Tech has changed a lot in the last ten years.

Comment

Cool day on the San Gabriel River near Granger, Tx. Enjoy
          https://youtu.be/mBD-_JExvN0

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Water is starting to open up a little up here, saw some nice brookies and browns lounging in a small beaver pond yesterday. Might have to break out the 5 wt for some small stream fishing soon.
            Attached Files

Comment

Three Forks and Yellowstone make some decent fly rods that won't break the bank. I also have a custom rods made by a now deceased local guy that fishes really nice. You might fins a local rod builder to make you something that doesn't break the bank but still fishes well.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                Water is starting to open up a little up here, saw some nice brookies and browns lounging in a small beaver pond yesterday. Might have to break out the 5 wt for some small stream fishing soon.
                Good deal.

Comment

Thanks to the generosity of an awesome TBH’er, Noah is now a fly fisherman. Many thanks Mike!

He’s got a lot of work to do, but he is so excited to be getting started.

Comment

Great Pic! Don’t let him wear out that pitching arm casting

Comment

Awesome, good for him!!!! Number one fly in our area in my option is a white wholly bugger.... congrats again Noah.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
                        Great Pic! Don’t let him wear out that pitching arm casting
                        Mike, it was great meeting and visiting with you yesterday. I truly appreciate your generosity and taking time to show Noah some techniques to get started.

Comment

Did a little fly fishing at the ranch today....
                          sure is nice to get away.

Comment

Just getting started, and I know the quality of some pics isn't great.
                            I'm really enjoying it, have a long way to go, to not look like a clown while casting, but I manage to catch fish!
                            The best part, my "coach" taught my 16yo daughter how to cast a fly the other day, and she out caught me on her first trip. She, too, is now hooked! Oh, and she also actually looks like she knows what she is doing when casting!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
                              Just getting started, and I know the quality of some pics isn't great.
                              I'm really enjoying it, have a long way to go, to not look like a clown while casting, but I manage to catch fish!
                              The best part, my "coach" taught my 16yo daughter how to cast a fly the other day, and she out caught me on her first trip. She, too, is now hooked! Oh, and she also actually looks like she knows what she is doing when casting!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                              Really cool, it is VERY addictive!!!!!!

Comment

I tried it when I was younger but really struggled. I may need to try again

Comment

Working...
                                X