300blk out diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300blk out diet

I just walked out to the woods with my 2 sons & son in law for sit for some hogs & carried my 10.5” blk out. This thing is heavy!! What are some good light weight parts to shave some weight off this thing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, you would hate my nighttime AR-10 with thermal if you think that rig is heavy. [emoji16]

On a serious note, they make lightweight hand guards, thinner profile or carbon fiber barrels, lightweight bcgs, skeletonized uppers/lowers, etc. It’s going to be hard to drastically reduce the weight on a rig like that without dropping some decent cash, but you can probably cut a few ounces.

Comment

Not much more you’re gonna shave off that. I have a 12.5 grendel very similarmbut with a 3-9x50 and I think it’s light. Maybe a thinner profile barrel? Caliber change would take off some weight but then purpose may change. Light weight BCG and lighter buffer but that can throw off cycling and reliability.

Comment

I’m gonna weigh this thing when I get back to the house.

Comment

pretty bare bones there bud. Not much you can do without spending a bunch of $$$. Take off the iron sights if its a dedicated pig rig.

Comment

I just weighed this thing & it weighs 9lbs with a 30rd clip loaded. It’s got magpul Filipino sights & Burris fast fire red dot on it. I’m gonna look into a carbon fiber hand guard for it for sure.

What about composite lowers?? I don’t think I would run one on a everyday gun but something to just throw in back pack to head to the stand & when ground hunting. Maybe a possibility??

Comment

How much does it weigh without a 30rd mag? Just curious

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                How much does it weigh without a 30rd mag? Just curious

Checked it this morning. With no clip 7lbs 9oz. I’m looking at a carbon fiber barrel & hand guard. I’ve found few but haven’t finished looking yet.

Comment

Barrels, BCGs and stocks are usually the easiest way to drop weight, with barrels being the biggest chunk. Plus, they're out away from your body so it's more noticeable. If you do want to lighten your BCG, righttobear usually has their lightweight BCG on sale for cheap and you just take out your BCG parts to complete it.
                  https://www.righttobear.com/RTB-AR15...bn16-lw-co.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                    Barrels, BCGs and stocks are usually the easiest way to drop weight, with barrels being the biggest chunk. Plus, they're out away from your body so it's more noticeable. If you do want to lighten your BCG, righttobear usually has their lightweight BCG on sale for cheap and you just take out your BCG parts to complete it.
                    https://www.righttobear.com/RTB-AR15...bn16-lw-co.htm

Running the light weigh bcg do I need to run a lighter spring & adjustable gas block??

Comment

You’ll save the most weight with a lighter barrel or muzzle device, assuming that’s an aluminum handguard and not some cheap steel thing if they even exist.

The lightweight BCG’s are more designed to reduce recoil in game guns than save weight in the rifle/pistol, unless you’re trying to do an ultralight 5 lb build.

Comment

IMO you are asking for reliability issues running things like lightened BCGs and such.

Likely your biggest weight savings will come from barrel, handguard and receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          IMO you are asking for reliability issues running things like lightened BCGs and such.

Likely your biggest weight savings will come from barrel, handguard and receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          This^^^

You could run a shorter/lighter profile barrel, on a slick sided upper, with a smaller muzzle device, and a lighter hand guard. Probably easier to just sell that upper and build a new one from scratch at that point. There is also probably a lighter weight “brace” option, but it won’t be near as nice as the one you have now.

Without rebuilding the whole thing.. loose the blast shield, ditch the rail sections & sights(minimal), and just run 10 or 20 round mags. (I like the shorter mags for hunting anyway)

A composite lower won’t really save you that much weight. If your talking about swapping receivers, you can find lightweight ones that are milled out or some made out of different metals that are pretty light. But the weight savings isn’t worth the cost on those things to me.

Comment

Lol. Hit some biceps curls and some squats. My thermal rig in 308 with the suppressor battery pack and thermal is like 14lbs with a 25 rd mag

Comment

If you run 110gr pills you could drop about 5 ounces just by going from 30rds to 20. If you’re shooting 220gr pills you could drop well over half a pound.

Comment

Working...
                              X