No announcement yet.

Beginner Welding Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an Eastwood Mig 140. So far no issues but I don’t weld that often. Right now I am using fluxcore in it since I also weld outside. I learned on a Miller 212 and I produce the same results with both machines.

Comment

I do everything I need around the farm with my Miller Bobcat 225. I can do almost everything I need with a 6010 or 7018. I wouldn't mind having a small MIG for around the shop stuff. Some of the previous comments on cutting metal are spot on. You need a chop saw and a torch. Clamps, stands, grinder, etc.

Comment

I found a "lightly used" Lincoln 140. It's three years old and they are asking $240. Seems like a good deal based on the cost of new 140's. Anyone have experience with that model welder? I'll be using it for small projects around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          This comment shouldn't be overlooked. Spend the money on a Hobart. That said, if you want the buy once cry once Hobart for most work a hobby welder will do, get the 210MVP. I broke down and got it last year. 120 or 240 volt input gives huge flexibility, at least for my needs. You may have missed it since it's after Christmas but Hobart does rebates and Northern tool offers decent coupons and gift card bonuses.
          x2 on the Hobart 210 MVP. I have used all kinds of different brands, price ranges, and types of welders and I will say that my Hobart 210 MVP is a beast. I like using gas since its a lot cleaner (no slag and way less smoke), but I was very impressed with the quality of welds it will do with flux core wire. Nothing like the super cheap flux welders. I also love the fact that I can weld thicker material with the 220v option and not worry about not getting enough penetration. For the money its pretty hard to beat. Get a good hood, some gloves you can actually move your hands in lol, and change your plastic lens cover on your hood every now and then! I was thinking it was me but man I can see 1000 times better now lol. If you go on youtube, welding tips and tricks page he has some great information. I watched it and taught myself to tig pretty well I think almost only on his videos.

Comment

I’ve got a mig Lotos 140 and it’s been a pretty good rig. It does flux, gas, and I have the aluminum spool.

I had the cheap harbor freight welder and it did ok. When I upgraded to the Lotos it was SO much easier to weld with.

I’ve gotten to where I pretty much only mig aluminum now and the 140 has a hard time staying hot enough on thicker aluminum. So I’ve got mine up for sale to upgrade to a 200.

Welding steel is really easy to do with most welders - it’s when you start venturing off into different metals is when it can get pretty tricky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a hobart 140 with added bottle as the flux crap is just that , crap imho.

one thing to note ... get clean strong power , running off cheap extension cords doesn't do well... you'd be amazed how much better it welds on clean power and a bottle . i ran a 20 amp circuit right next to my breaker box and just bring my welding jobs to it ..

the 140 is the biggest 110 hobart you can get. if you don't have 220 ... if you have 220 there are better choices ... then there are even bigger at welding shops , they are plain amazing !

Comment

Working...
              X