Doe/Hog only leases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doe/Hog only leases?

I got to thinking the other day (dangerous, I know), while my wife and I were out by Fredricksburg. We were just staying in an AirBnB and I saw so many dang deer, that I thought there have to be people who need a few does taken off their property.

I usually spend my money on hunts out in CO or MT, so I never even try to get on a lease, but if someone had a doe only type of deal that was cheap I'd be all over it. So I guess my question is, does that type of lease/sublease exist? Someplace fairly cheap on the stipulation of hogs and does only? Tag soup is both unappetizing, and far more likely on out of state hunts when you're packing a recurve.

I had the exact same thought. There are lots of guys only interested in their trophy deer. It seems like there would be a market for guys like me (for my son) who would be interested in does/spikes/culls only. I have never heard of a spot like that though.

Comment

A sublease appears to be problematic and difficult to setup. Most lease agreements don't allow subleasing and most owners that lease will opt to lease the whole year vs managing 2 sets of leases.

I have tried several times to get a hog only lease where I dont have access for all of deer season and all of spring turkey. Initially folks like the idea of someone feeding for them all the off-season parts of the year and shooting some hogs, but it always seems to fall thru for one reason or another.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve thought about this also (even more dangerous) Having my own hill country lease Imo I think the reason being is most people leasing want the Doe and hogs for their family/friends. It’s also way easier for the landowner to have one party to lease to. If I was a ranch owner I couldn’t imagine the drama with two different parties on the same ranch, especially if one group pays less.

If you’re wanting a cheap meat hunt every year, There’s a hundred threads on Hilltop lakes. That might be what you’re looking for.

Comment

Folks with a lot of MLD tags will sell trespass rights to shoot some does. Closer to or during season they'll be several posted on here in passing(ie not sponsors).

Comment

My spouse's family has some lease options like that. Doe, hogs and turkeys , ducks included, for a different price than the buck lease folks.
            Seems to work so far .

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              Folks with a lot of MLD tags will sell trespass rights to shoot some does. Closer to or during season they'll be several posted on here in passing(ie not sponsors).
              I guess I need to pay closer attention then. Sounds sorta like what I was imagining.

Comment

Working...
              X