Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Should a son report, work for their dad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: Should a son report, work for their dad?

Here’s my current situation. I’m a shift supervisor for a chemical company. I am in charge of 1/4 shifts. We work the “Dupont schedule” (look it up if not familiar).
    My oldest son applied and tested for an operator position at my plant. My boss came to me and showed concern of a conflict of interest and said he’d spoken to HR. They feel I could, in an emergency, act out of haste for my son, Show favoritism, etc., but also said it “wasn’t a deal breaker...” Well, he scored 12/100 on his test, and was offered an interview (June 13). If he does well and scores good in the interview, they are struggling with what to do. There’s talk of putting him at another local plant, offering a maintenance position in our plant that he doesn’t report to me, or not offering (which I think would be bs because they allowed him to test...)
    What are your thoughts/ideas/suggestions?
    I don’t have a problem with the everyday BS politics and conflict. He don’t either and can handle himself.
    The Only thing I’m concerned with is past/future disciplines with other’s, and potential Retaliation involving my son...
    THOUGHTS???
    Sorry for the long post...
    Last edited by Tbuddyandroby; 06-07-2019, 05:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

My company has never let an employee supervise an employee in the same department. Too many chances for conflicts and/or favoritism. Not saying this is how it would be for you two.

Now our rule is that we can’t hire family members anywhere in the whole company. Supervision or not. This is a nationwide pipeline company, and I haven’t met anyone that thinks this rule makes sense.

Comment

No he shouldn't report to you. Similar situation here with my sister and I working in the same ER. Stipulation to me being hired was she stays on nights and I on dayshift. Since you're only in charge of 1/4 shift cant he be on a shift that isnt yours? Not saying you would show favoritism but its not whether you do, its what everyone else perceives...

Comment

In my company it’s black and white. Either he works for you or he doesn’t. If he does then that’s not allowed and he has to work another department. Had a friends dad who was a VP. He moved functions and she had to change departments. We had a big reorganization and the dad was over her function so she had to move again! Company made all the moves happen though and was no skin off either of their backs.

Comment

My son works for the same fire department as I do. I am over one of our three shifts. When he was hired, I was told he could not work on my shift. As long as you have no direct supervision there should not be a problem.

Comment

Are yall a tiny little plant with only one unit or area?

Put him in another area.

There are whole family's out at Exxon. It is a 3000 acre complex though.

Comment

At my company, our policy says that no two family members can work within the same department.

What emergency are they talking about? Plant blows up and you save your son while passing by 4 other coworkers?

I think the man thing you want to consider is what the rest of the plant would think. Perception is reality, unfortunately. I'd suggest that y'all don't work together and if you did, I'd predict some headache in the future only because y'all are related. While probably not warranted, people will have their feelings.

Comment

Most (all??) large companies are specific not to allow family member working for family member for obvious reasons. Does not really matter what anyone else thinks

Comment

Offering him a maintenance position that doesn't report to you is the best solution

Comment

Randall should report to me for sure! Or be written up daily!

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                      My company has never let an employee supervise an employee in the same department. Too many chances for conflicts and/or favoritism. Not saying this is how it would be for you two.

Now our rule is that we can’t hire family members anywhere in the whole company. Supervision or not. This is a nationwide pipeline company, and I haven’t met anyone that thinks this rule makes sense.
                      I can agree with this standard, But they Allowed him to test... They opened the window Then showed concern afterwards...

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                        No he shouldn't report to you. Similar situation here with my sister and I working in the same ER. Stipulation to me being hired was she stays on nights and I on dayshift. Since you're only in charge of 1/4 shift cant he be on a shift that isnt yours? Not saying you would show favoritism but its not whether you do, its what everyone else perceives...
                        Exactly, he Would be placed on another shift, But they see the opportunity of overtime of me/him on the same shift at one time or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
                          I can agree with this standard, But they Allowed him to test... They opened the window Then showed concern afterwards...
                          Yes that’s kinda dumb. On our application I believe you have to say if you have relatives working for the company. Then they would deny you before proceeding any further.

Comment

Originally posted by capt341 View Post
                            My son works for the same fire department as I do. I am over one of our three shifts. When he was hired, I was told he could not work on my shift. As long as you have no direct supervision there should not be a problem.
                            I could agree to this, “No Direct Supervision from Me.”

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                              Are yall a tiny little plant with only one unit or area?

Put him in another area.

There are whole family's out at Exxon. It is a 3000 acre complex though.
                              No, 8 units, but I supervise all 8. ~12 ops per shift...

Comment

Working...
                              X