Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weld... or stamp

Or both??

Just bought a new 20 ft. Trailer, I remember another member a few weeks ago had his stolen.

Worst case scenario , if’n mine got stole, would it be better to weld the VIN in several places on the frame,,,or stamp the VIN in several places.

Or both??

Said trailer is heavily insured, along with tractor and implements.

I'd go with both.

Comment

Whatever you have time for they both work.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
        Or both??

Just bought a new 20 ft. Trailer, I remember another member a few weeks ago had his stolen.

Worst case scenario , if’n mine got stole, would it be better to weld the VIN in several places on the frame,,,or stamp the VIN in several places.

Or both??

Said trailer is heavily insured, along with tractor and implements.

Who did you get to insure your trailer?

Comment

Might even get LoJack tracking system?

Comment

Weld they can just grind off. Stamped they would have to weld over it and then grind down. Either way, I would do one conspicuously near the tongue and a couple hidden inside the c channel.

Your best bet is not to let it get stolen. Watch where you leave it and use a good lock. They make some that encircle the tongue and are darn near impervious without 30+ minutes of work or you can make your own. If it has a bulldog hitch use one of the locks below for when it's hitched. They are harder to break off than a pin lock.

Comment

I'd say either way will work if you put it in a place that you know about but they don't. As others have said put locks on it. I park my trailer in the driveway with both a pin lock and coupler lock. Sure they can still steal it but they're gonna have to work for it and make A LOT of noise doing it.

Comment

Weld with a stainless welding rod. Even if they grind it down and paint over it you will be able to see the difference and read numbers.

Comment

Take a 6" piece of angle and drill 3 holes spaced out not in line but offset from each other. Use this as a template for all your trailers. Slide under trailer and clamp angle to frame somewhere and drill through holes into frame or crosspiece angle brace. Put template up where you will not lose it. Most crooks won't recognize 3 holes as identification marks. If ever stolen you can use template to prove ownership.

Comment

I’ve got tracking equipment on my trailers, as well as each piece of equipment that rides on the trailers.

I should weld the VIN on anyways though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidro View Post
                      Take a 6" piece of angle and drill 3 holes spaced out not in line but offset from each other. Use this as a template for all your trailers. Slide under trailer and clamp angle to frame somewhere and drill through holes into frame or crosspiece angle brace. Put template up where you will not lose it. Most crooks won't recognize 3 holes as identification marks. If ever stolen you can use template to prove ownership.
                      I like this idea...might have to do it to mine.

Comment

This is smart

Comment

That is a fine idea and I like it. However, its still gonna need some form of ID number for NCIC/TCIC to connect your phone number to. A funny hole pattern is gonna look the same to Barney Fife with BFE PD same as it will to methhead trailer thief.

Comment

If it is insured I wouldn't worry about it. Once it is gone, it's gone, and recovery isn't much more likely with additional VIN on trailer. Might make it a little harder for them to mask, but not much.

Comment

I have mine stamped in the frame in a dozen different places like this:

I also took a piece of 2” stainless bar stock and carved out my number and then welded this piece in the side of the frame. It would take some serious work to remove and to try and fill weld the stainless would still be able to be ID’d easily.

I also use a wheel lock, lock my safety chains together and also use a hitch lock. If they want it, they gonna work for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by TXBRASS; 05-23-2019, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X