Austin loses state funding for Formula One race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austin loses state funding for Formula One race

Don't expect there to be race this fall, good for Greg Abbott the price was ridiculous

The future of Formula 1 in Austin, Texas appears to have taken a serious hit when it was revealed Circuit of The Americas lost its state funding.

According to a Wednesday story in The Austin American-Statesman newspaper, Gov. Greg Abbott’s office rejected COTA’s annual application for reimbursement following the 2018 F1 race. Officials in the governor’s office said track representatives failed to meet the deadline for submitting a required human trafficking prevention plan as part of their reimbursement request.

It means the track will forfeit $20 million or more in state funding through the Major Event Reimbursement Program. The state reimbursed COTA $27 million through that program in 2017, $26 million in 2016 and $22.7 million in 2015 for the only F1 race in the United States.
    Track officials have said in the past that funding, which has topped $100 million since 2012 according to The Statesman, was critical to the success of the F1 race.

COTA officials had not yet commented to The American-Statesman.

Since it debuted in 2012, Texas has helped subsidize F1, which carries a hefty seven-figure sanction fee.

The American-Statesman also said the governor’s office has paid millions to Texas Motor Speedway for its annual NASCAR race, the 2018 NCAA Final Four and Super Bowl LI. The NTT Data IndyCar Series is set to make its track debut March 22-24.

Payments to COTA are reportedly based on how much economic activity the F1 race generates for Texas and it’s estimated 175,000 attend the race.

According to an October 2018 letter from the governor’s office that was obtained by the American-Statesman, the Circuit Events Local Organizing Committee (CELOC) missed a deadline to submit a required anti-human trafficking report 30 days before the 2018 U.S. Grand Prix this past October. Bryan Daniel, the governor’s executive director of economic development and tourism, wrote that because CELOC failed to meet the deadline, its application for reimbursement had been rescinded.

“In this case, the law is clear that if a human trafficking prevention plan is not submitted 30 days prior to an event, a reimbursement from the Major Events Fund cannot be issued,” Abbott spokesman John Wittman said in an emailed statement. “The State of Texas and COTA have a productive partnership that has had a tremendous economic impact on the city of Austin and the state as a whole, and our office is already working with COTA on next year’s race.

The governor’s office gave preliminary approval for providing state funds for the US Grand Prix on Sept. 24. But after economic development officials there realized they had not received a human trafficking prevention plan, the rescinded approval, the letter said. The plan was due on Sept. 19, but COTA did not submit the plan until Oct. 3.

Racing sucks as much as Austin does.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      Racing sucks as much as Austin does.
      I’d buy you a beer

Comment

I’ve never been for government subsidies for private sports, but I don’t quite understand what human trafficking has to do with F1 racing.

Comment

I had no idea the state was paying for the race.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
            I’ve never been for government subsidies for private sports, but I don’t quite understand what human trafficking has to do with F1 racing.
            Big sporting events is a Mecca for human sex trafficking . Lot of wealthy dudes for all over the world want a prostitute for the night or weekend

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
              Saw this on the racing website the story broke

Large sporting events greatly contribute to sex trafficking. The super bowl is supposedly the largest gathering of these scumabags in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                Big sporting events is a Mecca for human sex trafficking . Lot of wealthy dudes for all over the world want a prostitute for the night or weekend
                Gotcha. Not surprising I suppose, but it never crossed my kind that major sporting events would be hooker meccas.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
                  I had no idea the state was paying for the race.
                  Yeah its mind blowing what they agreed to pay annually for this event compared to other sporting events in the state, sanctioning fees for other big motorsports events here aren't even in the same zip code...

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    Yeah its mind blowing what they agreed to pay annually for this event compared to other sporting events in the state, sanctioning fees for other big motorsports events here aren't even in the same zip code...
                    What exactly does the states money pay them for?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      Major Event Reimbursement Program for the increased tourism and economic impact of said event I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        We pay the for the event in return we get a huge boost in our local economy.
                        $5 billion: COTA's cumulative economic impact on the Austin metro area.
                        $423 million: Direct visitor spending injected into Austin-area businesses during COTA events.
                        $306 million: Annual payroll for Austin-area workers attributable to COTA's annual activities and operations.
                        $53.2 million: State tax surplus created by tax revenue generated by COTA events
                        $810 million: Economic impact attributed directly to COTA operations.
                        $3.1 billion: Economic impact for all other major sporting events, including F1, MotoGP, X Games, and more.
                        $36 million: Economic impact of concerts and events at Austin360 Amphitheater.
                        $14 million: Economic impact of track rentals and other miscellaneous events.
                        46,100: Jobs supported by COTA's annual activities and operations.

Comment

Well good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post

$423 million: Direct visitor spending injected into Austin-area businesses during COTA events.

$306 million: Annual payroll for Austin-area workers attributable to COTA's annual activities and operations.

$53.2 million: State tax surplus created by tax revenue generated by COTA events

$3.1 billion: Economic impact for all other major sporting events, including F1, MotoGP, X Games, and more.

Yep. $20M is definitely worth it. That’s a heck of a return on investment. While I’m not an F1 fan, the race is good PR for Texas and USA motor sports. I hope there’s a way COTA can work things out with the state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
                              They'll still have races there, just not overpriced Formula 'un

Comment

Working...
                              X