Gun Safe Flooded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Safe Flooded

Like many folks in the Houston area my uncle has lost all his belongings in the flooding from the hurricane. His question through me from y’all is since his gun safe is under 4 feet of water what can he do to clean up his riffles? He knows as soon as he pulls them out and expose them to air they will flash rust. Any gunsmiths out there who have any advice or anyone of y’all been through this? We’re talking about 80 rifles and pistols. It will be a huge job to get all these cleaned up and oiled.

There is a gun cleaning company. Going to look them up and let you know. Something to look into anyways with that amount of rifles to clean.

Comment

The Gun Cleaners of Houston.
      1022 Wirt Rd, 316
      Houston, Texas

Call (281) 888-6856

Comment

I would think if you completely disassemble, dry, and oil them up they'd be fine - other than the wood components.

Comment

They're rusting now! I would get them out ASAP and get to cleaning them and letting the stocks dry. Or take them to the gun cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would start hitting them with the green corrosion X, we use it in the salt water while duckhunting they don't get clean for days, We just packed them in the airboat for the week while hunting, and then do a super clean when we get them home. Good luck

Comment

Thanks. I will let him know. He is trying to get in to his hone. Closed roads and what not. Unsafe conditions. I have 4 uncles, 5 aunts, add several cousins that lost all their belongings. Horrible. Thanks be to god, no injuries or loss of life. Nothing that can't be fixed. Still sucks though.

Comment

Strip them down. The wood will be saturated. Lay out the so it can dry. I'd suggest spray down metal parts or submerge into wd-40 or some other oil. Then clean normal method. Too bad he didnt have time to pull them out and throw up in attic.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                  I would think if you completely disassemble, dry, and oil them up they'd be fine - other than the wood components.
                  ^^^^^ This works I've been through a flood with my high school rifle team and we had a gun cleaning party and lots of WD-40 was used. They all came out of it just fine.

Comment

Check this link.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Good info

Comment

Might head that way to pick some up from him. Got 80 or so to clean.

Comment

I would think an air compressor would be helpful. That water-repelling oil in the Brownell's article sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                            I would think an air compressor would be helpful. That water-repelling oil in the Brownell's article sounds awesome.
                            It's probably WD40 but in a different can.

Comment

I just got off the phone with a gunsmith and they told me to get them out of the safe, wash with fresh water, use an air compressor or hair drier to dry them and then spray with WD40 until we can break them down and do a thorough cleaning.
                              Then clean them thoroughly and break them down all the way including the stocks off.
                              Finally reassembling them with gun oil and wipe them down. They will charge between $100-$125 per long gun and $25-$50 per pistol. Gets expensive with talking about 70 or so firearms.

Comment

Working...
                              X