No announcement yet.

Weld... or stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BrianL,, I agree with you... short of taking all 4 tires off, if’n they want it, they gonna get it.

BUT, for the slim chance it’s recovered, the more VIN marked, the better.

I also thought of running a heavy chain between the wheels,

TXBrass, I like those ideas. You think like I do.

Comment

Weld it inside the channel where a grinder won’t reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
        If it is insured I wouldn't worry about it. Once it is gone, it's gone, and recovery isn't much more likely with additional VIN on trailer. Might make it a little harder for them to mask, but not much.
        This. A thief or his customer might limit the stolen trailer's use to off road only but even if they don't, it's easy to claim it was home-bulit and get it liscensed. I use a tongue lock and accept the risk beyond that.

Comment

we had ours stolen and we spotted it 2 years later. We called police and he said prove it yours. We showed him pictures of the home made trailer and work invoice. He said proves nothing. So we told him to look on the under side of the frame where we had my last name welded in so crooks couldn't see it. The officer was hesitant but eventually did and arrested the guy for for possession of stolen goods.
          If you put it where they can see it, they can grind it off or cut it out. Crooks and thieves are stupid, but when it comes to stealing, way smarter than you and I!

Comment

Originally posted by treestand View Post
            This. A thief or his customer might limit the stolen trailer's use to off road only but even if they don't, it's easy to claim it was home-bulit and get it liscensed. I use a tongue lock and accept the risk beyond that.
            Yep I sold a trailer to a guy and he immediately pulled out a grinder and ground off the SN# . Saying he would claim it was home built, so I kept the trailer certificate in case my custom trailer ever has a problem with the county

Comment

Originally posted by treestand View Post
              Originally posted by pilar View Post
              Yep I sold a trailer to a guy and he immediately pulled out a grinder and ground off the SN# . Saying he would claim it was home built, so I kept the trailer certificate in case my custom trailer ever has a problem with the county
              If it's home built, of a certain size, you have to take it to the cty nowdays and have it looked over by a detective who will determine whether or not it may have been stolen. Then they issue a serial # so you can get tags. They went over mine pretty good and it was so new I hadn't had it painted and the metal still wasn't rusty....hell the welds were barely cool.

This is what I had to do in Tarrant Cty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                If it's home built, of a certain size, you have to take it to the cty nowdays and have it looked over by a detective who will determine whether or not it may have been stolen. Then they issue a serial # so you can get tags. They went over mine pretty good and it was so new I hadn't had it painted and the metal still wasn't rusty....hell the welds were barely cool.

This is what I had to do in Tarrant Cty.
                Same for me in Lavaca Co....

Comment

Insure it or paint it tiddy pink. Anything else is a waste of time. I've pulled trailers all over the country in the last 30 years and have never been stopped to look at my trailer regs or vin#. I got stopped once for having a homemade tag on a manufactured trailer, DPS never looked for any id.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                    Insure it.
                    Finding insurance on a homemade trailer has been impossible for me.... I'd love to hear some options but have zero.

I've had my vehicle insurance with GEICO for over 20 years so my rates are great with them. Progressive said they would insure my trailer if I had my truck insured with them but the price hike was too much. Looking for other options but have been hitting a dead-end...

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                      Finding insurance on a homemade trailer has been impossible for me.... I'd love to hear some options but have zero.

I've had my vehicle insurance with GEICO for over 20 years so my rates are great with them. Progressive said they would insure my trailer if I had my truck insured with them but the price hike was too much. Looking for other options but have been hitting a dead-end...
                      Just curious why you looking for insurance on a utility trailer?
                      I never haul anything expensive, and thought my auto policy covered my trailer

Comment

Just curious why you looking for insurance on a utility trailer?

I never haul anything expensive, and thought my auto policy covered my trailer

Most think that, but auto policies only cover liability for your trailer and damage it may cause. I want full coverage as well as theft coverage.

Comment

Check Farm Bureau

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            Check Farm Bureau

I did.... no luck

Comment

Most think that, but auto policies only cover liability for your trailer and damage it may cause. I want full coverage as well as theft coverage.

My wife sells insurance for usaa and said we can add the utility trailer for like $10-15 per month so maybe it’s worth it

Comment

My wife sells insurance for usaa and said we can add the utility trailer for like $10-15 per year, so maybe it’s worth it

For full coverage as well as theft?

Comment

Working...
                                X