What is this invasive plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this invasive plant?

I know, I wish I had a picture too. But maybe you may have a few names to throw out and I can look it up.

It's an invasive, woody shrub and can grow as high as 6 or 7 feet. It takes over open pasture. It can get big enough to where you would have trouble using tree lopers to cut it down at the base, but not much bigger than that.

Anyone with pasture in central Texas that hasn't been grazed or managed for a while has likely seen it.

If you have any ideas on names that I can look up I would appreciate it. I will try to get a photo next time I'm out in the pasture.

Sand plum?

Comment

Sand plums came to mine for me too. They shoot runners out and form thickets really quickly in good growing environments.

Comment

THANKS!! However, the mighty Googles have said no. The closest thing I can associate it with is rosemary. But- it doesn't bush like rosemary, only has 2 to 4 branchings, and isn't as tight leafed as rosemary. no fruit, berry or pods.

Comment

Bee Bush/ White bush?

Comment

wild privet?

Comment

Marestail/Horseweed? No fruit/pods (I don't think) but does flower.

https://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/foragef.../marestail.jpg
              Last edited by BlackHogDown; 05-21-2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Holy Toledo take a picture and upload it. It could be a hundred different plants...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                  Marestail/Horseweed? No fruit/pods (I don't think) but does flower.

https://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/foragef.../marestail.jpg
                  It looks a lot like mature marestail. The leaves are similar. However, it has a woody stalk like a sapling and it forks. There is so much of it I'm surprised that I can't find anything on it.

Comment

Willow baccharis?

Comment

mesquite
                      huisache
                      Zanthoxylum hirsutum (tickle tongue bush)
                      Bull nettle

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                        Holy Toledo take a picture and upload it. It could be a hundred different plants...
                        Thanks Captain Obvious! As I said earlier, I will do so when I return to pasture. I'm trying to get the place cleared and they need to know what kind of plant life they are dealing with. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Whatever it is, I'm sure I prefer it to Tanglehead. Can't get rid of the stuff! Burning, spraying, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wence View Post
                            Willow baccharis?
                            My thoughts too

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
                              My thoughts too
                              I thought that was native.

Comment

Working...
                              X