Bamboo Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bamboo Removal

I have a large patch of the running variety of bamboo in my backyard. It was here when we bought the place 7 years ago.
    I've kept it contained, but after last year's freeze, about 75% died and fell in on itself. Then regrew. It's to the point I can't even walk through it and the time has come to see about removal and replanting something less invasive.
    I don't think it can be removed by anything but a backhoe at this point. It would take years by hand.

My questions- does anyone on the GS do bamboo removal (or even small land clearing jobs) near Dallas?
    Has anyone had success removing this nightmare invasive plant before and what were the estimated costs?
    I've tried a couple of traditional tree trimmers who laughed and said good luck.
    Appreciate the feedback!

Bamboo Removal

How accessible is the area? The best way to get rid of bamboo is digging it all out.
    Big enough area might dictate a mini excavator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd have to remove a small section of fence but it would be accessible for a mini excavator.

Comment

Call a fraternity at the closest college or university and tell them you have free bamboo if they will come and clear it. They use tons of it for theme parties. Might have to wait until school is back in session.

Comment

Bob Webster that has the radio garden show in San Antonio said the only way to get rid of it is to move!

Comment

I have battled the same issue at my house. Digging it up seems to be the best solution. I have had some luck with cutting it all down and burning the root system after I gave it a good washing with diesel but that has not worked in every spot. I feel your pain and good luck!

Comment

gotta dig it out....then treat the area with ag grade vinegar or lime

ac

Comment

I had a big patch of it, 150'X40' that I dug up with a mini ex. Took a couple of days, but it did the job. The football on that thing was huge, took 6 loads of dirt to fill the hole if I remember right.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Move Away!

Comment

Roundup will kill it. Takes a while and reapply when you see new shoots. Bamboo is just a big grass.

Comment

Hand cut n immediately poison liberaly. Come back a year later and repeat until dead. Chip the cuttings into a supersack or some such to allow complete death of the stem and knuckles.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        Roundup will kill it. Takes a while and reapply when you see new shoots. Bamboo is just a big grass.
                        This is a 50x120 ft patch that is so thick I literally can't walk into it. Prob 30 years of dead stalks in the middle and new growth coming up. I'm not sure I could use enough Roubdup to make a dent.
                        I do kill any new shoots that come up outside of the established area each spring.

Comment

I planted it once. Moved once it touched the overhead power lines. <l:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
                            This is a 50x120 ft patch that is so thick I literally can't walk into it. Prob 30 years of dead stalks in the middle and new growth coming up. I'm not sure I could use enough Roubdup to make a dent.
                            I do kill any new shoots that come up outside of the established area each spring.
                            50'X120'???

You need a track hoe.

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
                              I planted it once. Moved once it touched the overhead power lines. <l:-)
                              It does make a great screen from the neighbors! And it was somewhat attractive until the big freeze. Now it's just piles of dead and 30 ft tall standing brown stalks with the newer green ones now 10 ft tall and growing.
                              I need napalm at this point!

Comment

Working...
                              X