No announcement yet.

KE arrow experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 29" also Richard. I love those Iron Wills though I have not shot anything with them. I do agree with overall weight is the big thing. I have chased FOC and all that, and everything I ever shot with my FMJ's are hammer dead. I have two different weights you can try on heavier arrows if you want to play with them as well as my old faithful.

My standard whitetail deer shooters are my FMJs with a 100 gr head - 498 gr total.
    My Black Eagle Rampages with the stainless half outs that are 52 gr - total weight with a 150 gr head is 540 gr
    Black Eagle Rampages with Ethics Archery 100 gr outsert/insert - total weight with 150 gr head is 612 gr.

I started playing with the steering too. Mathews bows like left wing twist, so they are all quad TAC drivers with either 2" or 2 1/4" TAC Driver vanes.

edit: And yes, you are correct in your calculations = Purple Eskimo School Bus is the right answer.
    Last edited by TX_Kevin; 08-08-2022, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Trad guys kill elk all the time with 550-650 grain logs, that leave the bow at 160fps... elk aren't rhinos.

As someone who has killed elk with stickbows (and rifles), I am perfectly comfortable shooting an elk with a 475-525 grain arrow that leaves the bow sub 200fps... with an iron will wide on the business end. I'd take the shot out to 35-40 yards with that arrow (accuracy is my limitation, not penetration). I might only get two holes, and the fletching sticking out the near side if I'm on the far end of that range.

Hit them with a perfectly tuned arrow and an Iron Will Wide, and if that arrow is 400+ grains, and you aren't aiming for ball joints, it's gonna slice through an awful lot of elk before it stops.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
        but arrow only penetrated 19” or so. We found 10” broke off...
        That's all you need on an elk, barring extreme quartering shots. I know you didn't find that elk, but I'd nearly guarantee it died.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
          Trad guys kill elk all the time with 550-650 grain logs, that leave the bow at 160fps... elk aren't rhinos.

As someone who has killed elk with stickbows (and rifles), I am perfectly comfortable shooting an elk with a 475-525 grain arrow that leaves the bow sub 200fps... with an iron will wide on the business end. I'd take the shot out to 35-40 yards with that arrow (accuracy is my limitation, not penetration). I might only get two holes, and the fletching sticking out the near side if I'm on the far end of that range.

Hit them with a perfectly tuned arrow and an Iron Will Wide, and if that arrow is 400+ grains, and you aren't aiming for ball joints, it's gonna slice through an awful lot of elk before it stops.
          I shot one with this setup two years ago. I was fortunate to get a 15 yard shot and it zipped through him like butter. I just got to thinking about where I may need to limit myself yardage wise this season.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
            I am 29" also Richard. I love those Iron Wills though I have not shot anything with them. I do agree with overall weight is the big thing. I have chased FOC and all that, and everything I ever shot with my FMJ's are hammer dead. I have two different weights you can try on heavier arrows if you want to play with them as well as my old faithful.

My standard whitetail deer shooters are my FMJs with a 100 gr head - 498 gr total.
            My Black Eagle Rampages with the stainless half outs that are 52 gr - total weight with a 150 gr head is 540 gr
            Black Eagle Rampages with Ethics Archery 100 gr outsert/insert - total weight with 150 gr head is 612 gr.

I started playing with the steering too. Mathews bows like left wing twist, so they are all quad TAC drivers with either 2" or 2 1/4" TAC Driver vanes.

edit: And yes, you are correct in your calculations = Purple Eskimo School Bus is the right answer.
            Thanks Kevin. I talked to my neighbor a few minutes ago and he has a couple different arrows Im going to shoot up against mine at 60 and 70 yards and compare penetration of each. That is probably the easiest way to know if I need to change my setup this late in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              Thanks Kevin. I talked to my neighbor a few minutes ago and he has a couple different arrows Im going to shoot up against mine at 60 and 70 yards and compare penetration of each. That is probably the easiest way to know if I need to change my setup this late in the game.
              I have another old friend over there still in Pecan Grove that would probably be happy to help too. He's about our size and is an elk hunter. He's killed multiple elk with a bow. He and I talked about meeting up at West Houston one day this week.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                I have another old friend over there still in Pecan Grove that would probably be happy to help too. He's about our size and is an elk hunter. He's killed multiple elk with a bow. He and I talked about meeting up at West Houston one day this week.
                Depending on what I find out from shooting these other arrows, I may be headed over there but it wont be until next week. Nothing like last minute changes, lol.

Comment

As the title says experts......so that will mean Gumbo Man and Curt need not comment.

Well, if you don’t connect you could always come take your pic with the one on my wall.[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comparing penetration at that distance is moot when you hit a soft spot in the target. Not even sure a new, never shot target would give you what you are looking for.

Let me give you an results of high FOC, 22%, heavy arrow weight, 775 grains and relatively low draw weight, 60#'s. Broadhead was a
                    Tuffhead 220 grain single right bevel head. Arrow speed was around 220 fps.

I hunted RSA in Sept and shot a big Cape Buffalo with this set up. The bull turned away from me on the release at 50 yards and the arrow hit him in the left ham and when he was recovered and processed, they found the BH and about 14" of arrow in his stomach. For a big solid animal like this, not bad penetration for the set up.

Also full penetration on a Sable and a follow up shot penetrated the shoulder blade and lodged in the spine.

Comment

Depending on what I find out from shooting these other arrows, I may be headed over there but it wont be until next week. Nothing like last minute changes, lol.
                      Jerry is a Grizzly Stik fan and he is practicing now. You really oughta get to meet him. He is retired too. He was the gas trader for Conoco Phillips and he's a good guy. Scotch guy.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        Well, if you don’t connect you could always come take your pic with the one on my wall.[emoji6]

Oh I’ve got one so no worries there. [emoji6]. Just probably overthinking it at this point. I really thought this would be a black and white answer…..silly me. [emoji23]

Comment

As the title says experts......so that will mean Gumbo Man and Curt need not comment.

Im trying to understand how far out I should take a shot on an elk if I get the opportunity in September. My arrow weight is 400gr with 12.9% FOC. My 29" DL at 64 lbs has the arrow leaving my bow at 275 fps and I have Iron Wills with either double or single bevel on the business end. Im comfortable shooting out to 100 yards (not sure I would at an elk) but it got me to thinking about how much KE I have down range and at what point would it be unethical to let one fly. Im hoping 60-70 yards is still doable given my set up. If not, I may have to do some last minute upgrading.

Don’t over think it. You’re fine out to 60 easy if you put it in the right spot. I shoot a 470 grain arrow at 280 fps and blew through the meatiest part of a bull elk shoulder (no bone) at 55 yards with a slick trick and it stuck in the ground 15 yards behind him. Same arrow complete pass through with rage trypan on a whitetail at 81 yards (heart shot). Oh, around 13% FOC on my arrows and I’d shoot an elk at 80 with my setup and expect a pass through. Especially with iron will. The second bull I shot was an iron will. Quarter very slightly to and deflected off a rib and came out the off back hindquarter.

Come of the shoulder crease a few inches and put it in the bottom third of the vitals and you’re good. Don’t expect a great blood trail with the iron wills (especially if you hit mid to high vital).

Comment

Entrance wound on the elk. Can’t find the pic of it sticking out of his hindquarter but that’s about how much was sticking out and the blood still on the head the next day.

Comment

you guys do realize that FOC is just a balance point for the arrow. And to make the number climb you have to get crazy heavy on the front end with overweighted broadheads, weighted inserts, half outs, full outs, pull outs and so on. And this in turn means you have to shoot a stiffer arrow which equated to more grains per inch of weight, which gives you an overall heavier arrow. Its all in the presentation of how much of what gives you an advantage.

Shoot what you have, keep your shots within your skill level, and hit where the killing spot is, and youll be fine.

Good luck in your chase.

Comment

Forget about KE you want MO to be at least .500

Comment

Working...
                                X