Octagon Bow Blind Addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Octagon Bow Blind Addition

My beautiful daughter will be hunting out west a little more this season so I offered to build her on bow blind. She mentioned that she really liked hunting out of my three window octagon blind so I decided to just mimic mine with a few tweaks.

With lumber prices being what they are, we decided to do a little scavenger hunting and salvaging of some used lumber. We got very good at pulling nails and squaring up lumber but saved a ton of money.

First off I laid out the exterior base with 2x4’s and decided on 30” wall panels, which would create a 75” flat to flat interior dimension. I know this seems big, and it is, but my thoughts were to give her plenty of room for shelves, hangers and also be able to have a real comfortable office chair. Who knows, maybe one year she will throw me some grand baby’s, bingo, plenty of room. So I built and framed the base.

Next step was to find material to skin the floor. I happen to come across some old motor crates that were used to transport rocket motors to Spacex. Breck and I were able to take a couple of crow bars and hammers and in one evening salvaged enough rough cut 1x8’s to cover the floor and build the door.

Once completed, it was time to decide on a wall height and get to ripping 2x4’s into 2x2’s but on a 22.5 degree angles. It was decided to go with a 6’-8” wall height and off we went. Cut all the 2x4’s to length then ran them through the table saw. Once we had our 16 vertical wall braces it was time to cut 16 horizontal supports along with 32 wall braces cut on 45 degree angles.

I decided to use my 16 ga finishing nailer to scab all together then come back and suck it all together with 3 ½” screws.

More to come shortly.

Rwc
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rwc; 08-08-2022, 07:52 AM.

We knew we were going to build this blind into removable panels, so we really just tacked them in place to start.
    Got all the walls up and tacked in place so now it was time to add the windows. I used her height to set the bottom of the window frame and I used mine and my son in laws to set the top. We had already decided on a set of DeerView windows and the size chosen was 18x10’s.

Windows framed and window panels complete ready for skin.

Rwc
    Attached Files

Comment

So now came time to decide on what we were going to skin the panels with? Weight was a concern, so the free 1x8’s were not an option, and any size OSB/plywood was out of our price range. So it was agreed on to go with a 4x8 5mm sheeting from Home Depot. Once purchased, we made quick work of covering the panels and getting them painted for protection.

Rwc
      Attached Files

Comment

With all the panels painted and ready to roll, we went ahead and pieced all back together to make sure nothing had gotten skewed in the prior process’s.

So I went ahead and built the door, skinned and hung where paint could be applied.

At this time we got all hands on deck to help black out the inside while I built shelves and shade canopies for the windows.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Rwc; 08-08-2022, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Mad skills, well done sir.

Comment

Awesome job on the blind.

Comment

Once we got the old barn roof tin cut to cover, we went ahead and took it back apart and loaded onto my trailer for transporting to lease.

If wondering why I did not add the base build onto any of the post? I did not build the base, we actually scored this from a lease member that generously offered to let us use it. We had to do a little scabbing, but it worked out well.

So last weekend we rolled out to Christoval with blind in tow. Remaining pictures are of its final resting spot. Would have taken more erection pictures but the heat almost killed us. I will get some inside pics next trip.

Hope you enjoyed this brief DIY.

Rwc
              Attached Files

Comment

Heck of a build, yall done good !!!

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Outstanding!!!!!!!!

Comment

Good job!

Comment

Very good job Sir!!

Comment

That looks awesome, great stand placement also!! Good luck breaking it in!

Comment

I wished I would have taken the time and documented the build and erection a little better. For example calking every joint and each floor plank to limit any possible wood squeak, mounting of windows, foaming all gaps to keep any spiders out, sealing and then painting the bottom of the floor for weather protection....etc etc.

It was a fun build with daughter, son n law and son, great memories made.

I have a good ideal it will have blood around it pretty quick.

Rwc

Comment

Well done sir! Well done! And I wouldn't doubt it a bit about get-n it bloody quick. Those are Chambers Children.

Comment

Working...
                              X