Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 08-05-2022, 11:22 AM   #1
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the World
Default any tips for improving accuracy?

about a year into the traditional archery game.

Some days I shoot ok. Others I shoot like absolute dog crap.

when did everything fall into place for you and your groups tightened up considerably?
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sore Finger!!!

There's multiple things that can cause inconsistency. In order of operations I'd say
1. switch to 3 under and a hard gap sight system
2. nail down your form
3. address any mental issues

In order of greatest personal affect on my own shooting however, it was:
1. learn how to beat target panic every shot(Thanks, Joel Turner!)
2. address my form, one piece at a time(Thanks Tom Clum!)
3. switch to 3 under, and gap shooting.

Most folks don't have panic the way I did (and still do, actually. I just know how to defeat it every shot). That's why I recommend 3 under and a gap system first. If you aren't a twitchy, string plucking fool like me, a good aim system makes a world of difference!
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Get your mechanics down. Alignment, consistent, correct alignment, is the foundation. Many accuracy issues become non issues if you can get there.
I agree with Malachi. Three under gap. Sure, the romanticism with instinctive is real. And freakin awesome when you're on. Sucks when the pig runs off with your arrow and broadhead though.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 12:42 PM   #4
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

Ditto on the above. After a layoff or if my shooting goes south I will spend several days not worrying about or even really noticing where the arrow lands, just working on elements of form, one at a time. Shoot 10 shots thinking about nothing but anchor then 10 concentrating on back tension or release or keeping bow arm steady. It helps if I only focus on one thing at a time. I certainly can’t efficiently think about aiming and form at the same time. After a while the form becomes automatic again and I can focus on where I want the arrow to go
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #5
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

To help get your fundimentals down I suggest taking a lesson or two. Regardless of the level you might be at a few lessons can always help and provide another viewpoint to help you out.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
brokeno
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Practice
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #7
txtrophy85
Ten Point

what is the benefit of shooting 3 under vs. instinctive?
Old 08-05-2022, 01:57 PM   #8
DRT
Pope & Young

You're looking down the arrow using the arrow tip to reference your aiming point. For example at 15 yards I'm aiming a few inches under where I want to hit. At 25 a few inches over. At 20 I hold dead on. Those are my gaps. Well, with a given bow and arrow set up.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:19 PM   #9
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
You're looking down the arrow using the arrow tip to reference your aiming point. For example at 15 yards I'm aiming a few inches under where I want to hit. At 25 a few inches over. At 20 I hold dead on. Those are my gaps. Well, with a given bow and arrow set up.

have you found this is a more accurate way of shooting vs. split finger instinctive?

My issues I'm currently dealing with are:

My eyes wandering over the target, naturally the arrow goes where your looking.

Plucking the release....this is a recent development

me moving my bow arm out of the way during the release. Don't know why I'm doing it, this is also a recent development.

I'm just frustrated as I'm only a slightly better shot than when i first started back last August.

Last edited by txtrophy85; 08-05-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #10
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrophy85 View Post
have you found this is a more accurate way of shooting vs. split finger instinctive?
Gapping is more accurate for me. think of it like shotgun vs. rifle shooting.

You can learn how to do this here:
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=179278

And I've found if you learn to gap, you can then learn to shoot gapstinctive in the woods at unknown distances. So you can have your cake, and eat it too.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:32 PM   #11
LAW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction,Mullin

Quote:
about a year into the traditional archery game.

Some days I shoot ok. Others I shoot like absolute dog crap.

when did everything fall into place for you and your groups tightened up considerably?
Iíve been doing it 30+ years and still have that problem, stay with it, shoot a light weight bow to get your form down ,shoot reasonable distance finish on a good one and most important have fun
LAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 03:58 PM   #12
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:

My issues I'm currently dealing with are:

My eyes wandering over the target, naturally the arrow goes where your looking.

Plucking the release....this is a recent development

me moving my bow arm out of the way during the release. Don't know why I'm doing it, this is also a recent development.

I'm just frustrated as I'm only a slightly better shot than when i first started back last August.
Yes I am consistently more accurate. I have way fewer "off" days and it's usually a physical reason such as I worked hard enough, or got dehydrated enough or neck stiff enough, I cannot maintain alignment and form. Those days I quit quick or just have a stiff drink and enjoy grilling dinner.
I've shot the majority of my trad kills split finger, instinctive. That said I missed four pigs over their back under 15 yards early last winter and it was a gut check for me. After a clinic with Joel Turner he had me gapping reasonably at 20 yards in two ten minute sessions. From there it was just a matter of identifying the right anchor and hold, resetting my alignment and retraining the muscles. I can actually shoot groups at 30 yards now. Not that I'll shoot at game that far, but it sure helps you work on form.

Last edited by DRT; 08-05-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #13
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

The most automatic and consistent way for me was to shoot enough that it simply became instinctive but that takes A WHOLE LOT of time and many arrows fired...
Back when I was deadly with trad I shot hours every single day.. I was obsessed with it.
These days not so automatic due to lack of time..
Use it or loose it.. Mainly shoot at crows and squirrels in the yard these days but I'll surprise myself on a long shot every now and then.. .

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 08-05-2022 at 04:01 PM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 04:44 PM   #14
Leon County Slayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

Shoot straighter!
Or use a compound
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #15
RedYote
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Watch Masters of the Barebow
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2022, 06:29 PM   #16
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
Shoot straighter!
Or use a compound

Killed plenty with a compound. I enjoy my compound but I want to transition to a recurve as my primary archery tool
Old 08-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #17
Grand Passage
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Atascosa Counties

Everything started clicking when I switched to 3 under. Iím cross eye dominant and it allowed me to get the arrow higher for a better sight picture.

My confidence in my form was creased and then I started bare shaft tuning.

Despite all of that, the wheels still fall off the wagon from time to time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grand Passage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 03:43 PM   #18
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Forget the instinctive stuff if it hasn't happened by now. Think through the shot and make every action deliberate. There are about six things that have to be right to get off a good shot. Ignore any one of them and it won't be pretty.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #19
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
Forget the instinctive stuff if it hasn't happened by now. Think through the shot and make every action deliberate. There are about six things that have to be right to get off a good shot. Ignore any one of them and it won't be pretty.
Well I wouldnít exactly say it hasnít happened by now. Maybe Iím comparing it to my compound where I think all 3 shots should be touching.

Iím not quite ready to give up on instinctive shooting yet, gonna go back to shooting at around 12- 15 yards and really concentrate on each individual shot.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:27 PM   #20
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAW View Post
Iíve been doing it 30+ years and still have that problem, stay with it, shoot a light weight bow to get your form down ,shoot reasonable distance finish on a good one and most important have fun
Word.

F the instinctive Mr85.
(Hands downÖ)
The top shooters dont do it. SureÖitll kill butÖkeep struggling.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #21
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Word.

F the instinctive Mr85.
(Hands downÖ)
The top shooters dont do it. SureÖitll kill butÖkeep struggling.
WellÖ.lots of great shooters shoot split finger instinctive.

Barry Wensel killed numerous Boone and Crockett bucks split finger instinctive.

Itís hard to throw that style of shooting in the trash completely.

Not saying I wonít have to switch to 3 under but I donít think Iím mentally there yet
Old 08-08-2022, 06:18 AM   #22
DRT
Pope & Young

You are correct.
And I played ball until I was 49 years old. On several teams that won trophies and leagues. But I never was a college level player much less a pro.
Not everyone is as capable as others.
Like I said, I've killed quite a few animals with the split instinctive style. Just decided I wanted more out of my accuracy.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #23
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Quote:
WellÖ.lots of great shooters shoot split finger instinctive.

Barry Wensel killed numerous Boone and Crockett bucks split finger instinctive.

Itís hard to throw that style of shooting in the trash completely.

Not saying I wonít have to switch to 3 under but I donít think Iím mentally there yet
Split finger doesn't really give you any advantages over 3 under if you want to shoot instinctively. 3 under is actually more helpful with instinctive shooting because the arrow is closer to your eye, thereby reducing the arc at hunting distances. You don't need to use it to aim with, but the arrow being higher will make the instinctive shooting easier.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #24
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Quote:
You are correct.
And I played ball until I was 49 years old. On several teams that won trophies and leagues. But I never was a college level player much less a pro.

Totally off topic but I went up to Cooperstown NY a few years back. There was a league of guys from their 40's-60's playing in the Double Day field, which is purported to be the first and oldest baseball field.

I thought that was pretty cool to watch those guys play...they were having a blast.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:07 AM   #25
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, NTX, OK and Louisiana!

I have a Satori that shoots crazy good using a fixed 7/8" crawl at 25yds dead on. 20yd I aim low 3" and 15yd 8" low, 10 back to 4" low I group almost as good as my compound.

But my selfbows and my custom R/D longbows are even tillered and just will not group as good using a fixed crawl as the satori, I believe its due to they are lighter and even tillered, where I have my satori set with a negative tiller and have riser bottom weighted. They do well enough to kill a deer or hog but they are very touchy to my grip and release. I actually shoot the longbows a little better target practicing instinctive. But what I have learned is under hunting conditions (tree stand angles and being nervous) my instinctive shooting doesn't hold up as good as my fixed crawl shooting. Having a focus point of my arrow tip and a exact under aiming point just seems to help my focus in hunting conditions. Where when I leave my target practice environment my instinctive shooting suffers.

Last edited by coop2564; 08-08-2022 at 10:11 AM.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #26
mikebyrge
Ten Point

Hunt In: NW Louisiana

I got into Trad bows in the early 1990ís and was active for close to twenty yearsÖhavenít shot much since moving to the Houston area in 2013.

I was around some of the best shooters all over the Gulf South in that era and have met very few consistently good pure instinctive shooters. Almost all of the good & great ones admitted to referencing the arrow to some degree and I didnít believe the ones that said the didnít

The things that took my shooting to the next level were:

1) get over thinking it was some kind if trad ďsinĒ to see the arrow
2) shoot lower weight bows
3) big white or yellow feathers that I could see in flight

I never was a straight-up gap shooter but I definitely referenced the arrow-tip in relation to the target.

Going to three-under kind of kick-started me into shooting better but after few years I could shoot both split and 3 under equally well.

Last edited by mikebyrge; 08-08-2022 at 08:51 PM.
mikebyrge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2022, 09:48 PM   #27
Boogieman
Four Point

Iíve strictly hunted with a recurve for over 10 seasons now. If Iím being honest it probably took me 3 years of shooting darn near everyday to get good with it. Instead of telling you what you should do (cause I donít have a clue) we all learn different and there is not 1 style that magically makes folks shoot lights out. I will only say find a style that comes natural, comfortable, and 100% repeatable. If you do that then you can get very accurate. Also there's a big difference between quality practice and just going out back flinging arrows.

Let me tell you instead what you donít want to do! You donít want to start changing things every time you have a bad day. If having a bad day either get super close to target or simply call it a wrap.

Good luck!
Boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2022, 10:30 PM   #28
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
Iíve strictly hunted with a recurve for over 10 seasons now. If Iím being honest it probably took me 3 years of shooting darn near everyday to get good with it. Instead of telling you what you should do (cause I donít have a clue) we all learn different and there is not 1 style that magically makes folks shoot lights out. I will only say find a style that comes natural, comfortable, and 100% repeatable. If you do that then you can get very accurate. Also there's a big difference between quality practice and just going out back flinging arrows.

Let me tell you instead what you donít want to do! You donít want to start changing things every time you have a bad day. If having a bad day either get super close to target or simply call it a wrap.

Good luck!

This is some sage information right here^^^^^^.

Maybe the best post on the whole thread?

Hey Boogieman, how come you never post any LDPs in the Trad Harvest thread? We love to have you participate!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2022, 10:38 PM   #29
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post

Good luck!
Thank you for this. Great information
Old 08-08-2022, 11:46 PM   #30
DRT
Pope & Young

TxTrophy85 in the end you need to shoot the way it fulfills you. If it doesn't then you'll lose the drive for it.
I was one who said I didn't want an "aiming system" but things changed for me.
The coolest thing about this is making it yours.
Unto thine own self be true.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #31
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Quote:
TxTrophy85 in the end you need to shoot the way it fulfills you. If it doesn't then you'll lose the drive for it.
I was one who said I didn't want an "aiming system" but things changed for me.
The coolest thing about this is making it yours.
Unto thine own self be true.

Agreed!
Old 08-09-2022, 08:19 AM   #32
CamoQuest
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

Well said, Gary.
CamoQuest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2022, 02:12 PM   #33
Boogieman
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
This is some sage information right here^^^^^^.

Maybe the best post on the whole thread?

Hey Boogieman, how come you never post any LDPs in the Trad Harvest thread? We love to have you participate!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I believe I have posted a few pics. But I will step up my participation. I enjoy looking at everyone elseís. Wonít be long, good times are coming!
Attached Images

Boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 10:04 PM   #34
stickbow
Six Point

Hunt In: Goliad
Talking instinctive

I have been doing it since i was in my late 20s when i left the wheelie and I am 56 now. It was a struggle the first year or so but if you figure out the basics and realize you have to hit the same anchor every time and get full back tension and never lose your spot and keep your bow arm rock solid the arrow always goes where it is suppose to go. don't do those and it won' go there. I took 20 at the ranch last year and have been doing 6-16 animals about every year since I started back then, been to Africa early on and took about 6 diy elk when I lived in idaho. Did it always go well hell no but every track and shot teaches you a lesson so that you learn what to do or not do next go round. You can definitely do it. You have to put in quality practice time with frequent shorter sessions including 1 arrow sessions is key. if you are hunting elk practice out to 40-50 if white tail then keep it close sitting position standing elevated etc and accurate and finish with a good arrow, practice how you play. if I am rattling in bucks to the bow I prefer my instinctive style I would not want to gap a running deer at close range. The 4 I have taken in 20 years were all running 4-12 yards. everyone has their own style and you will develop yours , good luck on the journey!

Last edited by stickbow; 08-15-2022 at 10:06 PM.
stickbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 08:46 AM   #35
txtrophy85
Ten Point

I have two issues going on….my elbow not being high enough causing a crappy release and me moving my bow arm just prior or during the release.

I’ve been able to identify this and when I bear down and concentrate on form, accuracy is not an issue.

Also agree on the one arrow session as being a great tool
Old 08-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #36
muddydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

Just accept that all of us will have a bad shoot. When this happens, get close or put it up for the day. I use 1 arrow for practice, no groups. and shoot about once a week. I shoot instinctive and split finger and know its 99% mental. There's days I can't miss and days I can't hit the ground if I dropped it. Traditional is simple but alot of newcomers over complicated it.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2022, 01:07 PM   #37
DRT
Pope & Young

Lol. That always cracks me up. It's simple.