Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-02-2022, 02:24 PM   #1
Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan
Question How much is Made in the USA worth to you?

I wish we had a polling system, but just curious to the willingness to pay more for a US made product. Most of the trail cameras on the market are made cheaply in China - many from the same manufacturers. If you could buy a camera for $125 made in China or $155 made in the US, how many would opt for a US made product considering they could both be made to have the same quality / features.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 02:28 PM   #2
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

I would purchase the U.S. model
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #3
kcmarullo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

US here !
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 02:32 PM   #4
Kong
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma Texas

US here, I go out of my way to buy here but it’s getting pretty hard to do regardless of the price.
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #5
East6101
Four Point

I vote made in USA
East6101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 02:51 PM   #6
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

USA every time when there is an option
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 02:53 PM   #7
Charrison
Eight Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Might not be popular but in today's economy, if it's the exact same quality at a 20% discount, I'm taking the discount. Same price, I will choose the US made product, but the world is so interconnected these days, made in the US might just mean assembled here.
Charrison is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #8
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Problem is the made in USA ones are typically double. I can't afford made in USA on my salary.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 02:55 PM   #9
tbgascorer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County & Maverick County

I support made is USA as much as I can. However, in business, the almighty dollar is king and as much as we've pushed these products, they gain little traction.
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 02:59 PM   #10
Gary Roberson
Ten Point

Unfortunately, every semiconductor is built in China or Taiwan. The new tax bill the Senate is voting on is to fund "chip" plants among other things. It will be a couple of years before we will have any of these plants up and running.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #11
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

I absolutely would but do you really think one could be produced in the US with a 25% mark up?
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #12
LAW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction,Mullin

A lot
LAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #13
LAW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction,Mullin

The new chip bill is just another DC boondoggle for friends and family of congress to get wealthy on.
LAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:14 PM   #14
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SE Texas

I just shopped replacement SxS tires.

I looked around on Amazon and other places as folks suggested. I saw all kinds of tires from all over. A lot said they just had bought knockoff Chinese tires from Amazon.

I ended up with a set of ITP’s that were made in the USA, but were +$250 more than the cheap knockoffs just like them. Bought them from one of their suggested online resellers.

Last edited by Greenheadless; 08-02-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:15 PM   #15
Tyrex750
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

Which ever one is cheaper
Tyrex750 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:17 PM   #16
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAW View Post
The new chip bill is just another DC boondoggle for friends and family of congress to get wealthy on.
Does it do anything to address the reason they arenít made here? Giving lots of money to some companies doesnít address regulations, taxes, labor etcÖ..
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:21 PM   #17
Spiderpig1776
Six Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co.

unfortunately made in the USA doesn't mean quality its mostly junk
Spiderpig1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #18
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrison View Post
Might not be popular but in today's economy, if it's the exact same quality at a 20% discount, I'm taking the discount. Same price, I will choose the US made product, but the world is so interconnected these days, made in the US might just mean assembled here.
Made in the USA and Assembled in the USA are not the same and have to be marked appropriately.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:24 PM   #19
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I try to. The price of a US made item is usually worth the quality. Most stuff made in the US has a lifetime or long term warranty and I know they will last a long, long time.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:25 PM   #20
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrison View Post
Boom! Why pay more for less?! The U S can make better products than china. If we wonít we get what we got. Itís all about pleasing the stock holders. Vicious circle.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:28 PM   #21
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Roberson View Post
Unfortunately, every semiconductor is built in China or Taiwan. The new tax bill the Senate is voting on is to fund "chip" plants among other things. It will be a couple of years before we will have any of these plants up and running.
Adios,
Gary
Actually... there is one US company that made plans in the summer of 2021 to expand chip manufacturing in Dallas and open a new plant in Colorado by the end of 2022 - early 2023. Ever hear of Texas Instruments?
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:32 PM   #22
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

We did it to ourselves. It started with Tricky D I C K Nixon opening up trade with China. In the years since we have made them able to afford all the battleships, planes, and armament that they have today. We have befriended them in every way possible and they want to destroy us and eventually will. I’m as bad as the rest of the US, but it’s almost impossible to stay away from Chinese made products.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:38 PM   #23
Cliff Dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

I would pay for US made if the prices were that close
Cliff Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #24
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Actually... there is one US company that made plans in the summer of 2021 to expand chip manufacturing in Dallas and open a new plant in Colorado by the end of 2022 - early 2023. Ever hear of Texas Instruments?
Taylor, TX.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:45 PM   #25
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

If I knew it was made in the USA and it were the same quality I probably would. However, I do not look to see where it was manufactured very often.
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #26
riverbowman
Ten Point

I'd pay 20% more in your example and price range if it were truly American made. Probably wouldn't pay 20% more for something that costs a whole lot more, like something in the thousands of dollars range.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:06 PM   #27
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

As a small manufacturer I pride myself on my product being made in the US
Except for a few of the small parts it's all made right here in North Texas actually.

The suppliers I depend on for the plastic bolt knob and flag clip are US companies also, but I wouldn't be surprised if they source them from outside the country.

I discovered that while it's cheaper to have a few parts made overseas it wasn't cost effective when you consider shipping and delays etc. (it might make more sense for orders bigger than the 10K at a time I was ordering)

Some years back when a large corporation was looking buy me out they had a test run of my parts made in China and the quality was crap.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:14 PM   #28
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
We did it to ourselves. It started with Tricky D I C K Nixon opening up trade with China. In the years since we have made them able to afford all the battleships, planes, and armament that they have today. We have befriended them in every way possible and they want to destroy us and eventually will. Iím as bad as the rest of the US, but itís almost impossible to stay away from Chinese made products.
^^^^this
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #29
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
Made in the USA and Assembled in the USA are not the same and have to be marked appropriately.
Not so fast at least with knives! They'll put a slip of paper in a large box containing hundreds of small boxed knives. Also know of makers getting folders with everything done but no handles (which they also sell) so they can claim USA made. Then there's also a city in China named USA so......LOL!!
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:19 PM   #30
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

"Then there's also a city in China named USA so......LOL!!"

NO WAY!!! That's dirty.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:24 PM   #31
Jon Stewart
Eight Point

Unions of today have made it hard for America to be competitive. I am not referring to the Kennedy era unions as they saved America but today's unions.

The best hunting/fishing shirts around are made in Viet Nam. Who would have thunk it.

Don't take my head off for writing this as I am a life member of the Teamsters.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:31 PM   #32
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsknives View Post
Not so fast at least with knives! They'll put a slip of paper in a large box containing hundreds of small boxed knives. Also know of makers getting folders with everything done but no handles (which they also sell) so they can claim USA made. Then there's also a city in China named USA so......LOL!!
https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidanc...e-usa-standard
Old 08-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #33
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
Unions of today have made it hard for America to be competitive. I am not referring to the Kennedy era unions as they saved America but today's unions.

The best hunting/fishing shirts around are made in Viet Nam. Who would have thunk it.

Don't take my head off for writing this as I am a life member of the Teamsters.
Thinking like this by Teamster members is what caused the Teamsters to be a shell of what it once was

Unions did not kill off American products. Greed by the manufacturer knowing they could get Americans to buy krappy products made by slave labor did the trick.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:44 PM   #34
Bill M
Pope & Young

Aren't these China built products being sold by American companies? The almighty dollar drives them and if they can sell a cheaper made China product, they will and do. Buying USA made is great but in the real world I'm afraid those products will continue to dwindle.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:47 PM   #35
sotx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Thinking like this by Teamster members is what caused the Teamsters to be a shell of what it once was
Well Teamsters being mobbed up back in the 70's and corrupt as all get out didn't help them much. A very close friend of mine worked in a local Teamsters office and the things that local did were so corrupt.
One instance that always stood out to me was when Yellow Freight had this driver that had problems coming to work and was caught drunk on the job and the dang stewards fought that bum to keep his job and strong armed Yellow Freight in the process. This was 1984 or 85 if memory serves.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #36
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

I know a lot of folks will beat the USA drum but in reality it's who has a better deal.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 05:03 PM   #37
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

What if it's made in USA by union labor? Hmmm

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 05:08 PM   #38
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I would support a company here if I know they answer phones with someone who speaks English.

But either way this all has to do with politics and stock market these days.

Need to just get back to the basics somehow.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 05:17 PM   #39
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

Quote:

Unions did not kill off American products. Greed by the manufacturer knowing they could get Americans to buy krappy products made by slave labor did the trick.
If the manufacturer can get the same quality of product overseas for less $$, why wouldn't they? Especially if they can sell the same amount or more. That is their purpose, to make profit. It is also the UNION's job as well. To increase pay/benefits for their members. They ended up pricing themselves out of jobs.

Its the same thing that will happen if/when minimum wage is raised. That $8.00/hr. burger flipper will now get $15.00/hr. only he won't get any hours because the fast food joint bought a new fangled robotic burger flipper. It costs $12/hr. to operate after you factor in cost, maintenance, etc... and it does a much better, more consistent job while not needing benefits, time off, etc... Now that kid will be out of a job and complain that the fast food joint is greedy for not wanting more expensive labor.

And yes, quality of product is a concern whether being made overseas or stateside. Are there crappy products made overseas, yes. But there are some fantastic products made overseas as well. Many of the products that get touted as fantastic, great quality, etc... are made in China. It is the exact same here in the US. That is all about the company's QC standards, and is the same for ALL manufacturing whether here in the states or overseas.
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #40
Huggybear
Ten Point

They just paid the CEO of Moderna almost 1billion for his exit package. We are in such a downward spiral as a country ill buy the cheaper product. We are 30 trillion in debt with a joke of a government.
Huggybear is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 05:35 PM   #41
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Quote:

This is an awesome response……..hahahaha

Choose to buy cheap ‘crappy’ products or supposed more expensive Made in USA. Capitalism, freed9m and personal liberty are grand!

Last edited by Greenheadless; 08-02-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:45 PM   #42
HOOKNBULLET2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I wish we had a polling system, but just curious to the willingness to pay more for a US made product. Most of the trail cameras on the market are made cheaply in China - many from the same manufacturers. If you could buy a camera for $125 made in China or $155 made in the US, how many would opt for a US made product considering they could both be made to have the same quality / features.
I believe Reconyx cameras are made in the USA. The starting price for them is $399. I donít think there are very many members on here that have made the choice to spend that much for made in the USA.
HOOKNBULLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 05:52 PM   #43
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
OP, in your example, I would pull the trigger on the US made in a heart best.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:59 PM   #44
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
I believe Reconyx cameras are made in the USA. The starting price for them is $399. I don’t think there are very many members on here that have made the choice to spend that much for made in the USA.
This is an example where I would probably not go USA made based on the comparative quality to price and limited options.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:01 PM   #45
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Made in USA by undocumented labor force?

I do pay more for some thing that I know are made in USA but its hard to tell nowadays.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 06:01 PM   #46
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

I have said for a long time that it all started when Walmart went over seas over 30 years ago. It was like putting a Frog in a boiling pot of water. They used to have "Made in the USA" banners in their stores in the 80`s, but they sold us out and people just kept on shopping there while smaller grocers, mom and pop stores and other long time profitable retailers closed shop and laid off employees. Companies followed behind them to China just to compete or go out of business. Everyone liked cheap consumer goods until it was too late and there was no going back.
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #47
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Problem is US companies are measured on profits. Cheaper foreign product can equal larger profit margins. Therefore, letís buy it overseas
IowaHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #48
Hotrodd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Usa.
Hotrodd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 08:16 PM   #49
Jtrage
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

As said above, how many are made in the USA or just assembled. Plus, add in all the ďboycottsĒ of USA manufactures/companies that are on the other side, how do you figure out what to buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 08:23 PM   #50
C.W.Ashby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado & Kansas

Made in USA, no doubt
C.W.Ashby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top