Beginner Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner Camera

Alright fellas I need some help. My youngest son will be 15 in August and he is wanting to get into photography. He is wanting a professional camera with the interchangeable zoom lenses. I don't know the first thing about cameras other than you point and push a button. What would be a good beginners camera on a somewhat tight budget for him and where should I look? Any and all help is appreciated.

Oh I don't have the book of faces so the market place is out of the question, and I don't think he needs something brand new just in case he loses interest by the end of the year.

Anyone?

Comment

Precision Camera in Austin is amazing and they have some great used cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Would prefer something in the DFW area

Comment

?

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Without more information, this is not easy to give advice. Budget, son's subject interest, etc. There are so many out there and some do the same thing as a body with interchanging lens but are not those types. Bridge cameras are a good starting place.

Comment

Guy has this one for sale in the classifieds. Looking for $600 but said Open to reasonable offer,
                I think if you told him it was for your kid you could get a good deal. I think $400 would be a good price for his package.

Last edited by Bassdeer; 08-01-2022, 06:02 AM.

Comment

There are a ton of different options available, but I think the Canon entry level cameras are some of the best available for a beginner. Fairly intuitive menus and easy to upgrade from. Their Rebel series is good (like T5-7), or perhaps finding a used 7D Mark II, or an 80D depending on how tight the budget is. Don't fall for those massive "kits" that Amazon and places sell with like 10 million little accessories. Buying used is a good way to get more bang for your buck as people often buy entry level cameras and then find out photography is not for them, so you can get some really lightly used stuff for big discounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                    Guy has this one for sale in the classifieds. Looking for $600 but said Open to reasonable offer,
                    I think if you told him it was for your kid you could get a good deal. I think $400 would be a good price for his package.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ghlight=camera
                    Yep Im open to reasonable offers. Let me know if interested. Bought part of this setup for the exact same reason you are looking for a camera but I was the photographer.

Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                      Yep Im open to reasonable offers. Let me know if interested. Bought part of this setup for the exact same reason you are looking for a camera but I was the photographer.

Stephen
                      I will be in touch if the one I purchased doesn't work out. It is a Canon EPS 30d with an efs 17-85mm lens.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                        I will be in touch if the one I purchased doesn't work out. It is a Canon EPS 30d with an efs 17-85mm lens.
                        Sounds good

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                          Alright fellas I need some help. My youngest son will be 15 in August and he is wanting to get into photography. He is wanting a professional camera with the interchangeable zoom lenses. I don't know the first thing about cameras other than you point and push a button. What would be a good beginners camera on a somewhat tight budget for him and where should I look? Any and all help is appreciated.

Oh I don't have the book of faces so the market place is out of the question, and I don't think he needs something brand new just in case he loses interest by the end of the year.
                          I love photography and I’m a Canon guy! Nikon and Sonyha e some great cameras as well. If you’re really looking to get into inexpensive used gear, I highly recommend KEH.com. I believe they warranty their used gear for 180 days. Adorama and B & H are great as well. I’ve purchased gear from all 3 without issue. I would first try to find out what he wants to photograph. Wildlife. Sports, Landscapes, Architecture, people etc… Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. 2 good books are Understanding Exposure and Stunning Digital Photography. Good used setups from 300-2k Canon 7d w a 55-250 lens (300-400) Canon 7d Mkii and a sigma 150-600 (1500) Nikon D500 w a nikkor 200-500 (2k)

Comment

Personally I'd stick with the new mirrorless cameras, be it Sony Nikon or Canon. The glass is pretty expensive.

Comment

Working...
                            X