Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-27-2022, 08:59 AM   #1
Txmusfan
Six Point

Hunt In: Mullin
Default Parenting again.....

Ok, so my wife and I lost our oldest daughter to an accident on July 26th. The father is doing a life sentence without parole. She leaves behind 3 children. One 20, one 18 and a 9 year old girl. With that being said, my wife and I will be raising our 9 year old granddaughter. To save you all the drama, I will not get into the life story of this child, but suffice it to say that she has been raised over 600 miles away from us and only knows the way of life in Midland/Odessa urban living. This little girl has her eyes wide open and is being introduced to things she has never even heard of before. I am trying to find her a 1/2 body guitar because, after seeing my guitars, she is interested in learning. My wife and i have already talked about our upcoming hunting season and introducing our granddauhter to the great outdoors. I can already forsee that she will need a bow in her life. With that being said, the last bow I bought for my daughter was in the early 2000's. Can I get some information on the newer child's bow technology? The one I bought for my daugheter years ago was adjustable enough for her to grow from a small child to adult and comfortably shoot. What is available now? I am still shooting a 2007 model compound.....
Txmusfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:02 AM   #2
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Can’t help with what you’re looking for, but good luck on this new journey. Without a doubt there will be bumps along the way, but catering to her interests as you’re doing will help
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SE Texas

I am so sorry for you loss.

Sorry I don’t have any more to offer up. It sounds like that little girl is going to do just ok with what her grandparents have planned for her though.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:09 AM   #4
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Sorry to hear of y'alls loss. God Bless!
A big thumbs up to you & the wife for taking in your granddaughter. Worked with a guy that gave up his retirement to do the same. I have the utmost respect for y'all.
Please let us know as things develop , there are alot of us on here willing to get equipment to you to help .
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:11 AM   #5
highspeed
Ten Point

So sorry to hear about your daughter. My daughter has a Mission Radik and loves it! This bow will grow with her as she gets older. 100% recommend the Radik.
highspeed is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Sorry for your loss, and prayers up for what you are going through. God will bless you and your wife for taking this little girl in! I think your best bet would be to take her to an archery shop. She'd get to take it all in, and she may enjoy the whole experience. A good shop should have plenty options that she could grow into... I'd also entertain cross bows as well. She could jump right into a cross bow and go shoot a pig or something if she wanted to.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #7
LAW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction,Mullin

If you still have the kids bow that’s adjustable use it to start her off, make sure there is an interest and then when you get a new one for her it will be more special. I see you hunt in Mullin so do we, also involved in raising our grandchildren. Good luck.
LAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:17 AM   #8
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmusfan View Post
Ok, so my wife and I lost our oldest daughter to an accident on July 26th. The father is doing a life sentence without parole. She leaves behind 3 children. One 20, one 18 and a 9 year old girl. With that being said, my wife and I will be raising our 9 year old granddaughter. To save you all the drama, I will not get into the life story of this child, but suffice it to say that she has been raised over 600 miles away from us and only knows the way of life in Midland/Odessa urban living. This little girl has her eyes wide open and is being introduced to things she has never even heard of before. I am trying to find her a 1/2 body guitar because, after seeing my guitars, she is interested in learning. My wife and i have already talked about our upcoming hunting season and introducing our granddauhter to the great outdoors. I can already forsee that she will need a bow in her life. With that being said, the last bow I bought for my daughter was in the early 2000's. Can I get some information on the newer child's bow technology? The one I bought for my daugheter years ago was adjustable enough for her to grow from a small child to adult and comfortably shoot. What is available now? I am still shooting a 2007 model compound.....
I have 2 youth bows hanging in the closet, I think(We did some house cleaning a while back). I can get the info on them tonight. Can't remember exactly what they are. They are just taking up space. I'll give you one if you want it. I think one was a PSE Spyder. These are older bows but nothing wrong with them. Might need some bells and whistles added but one is yours if you want it.
Jaybo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
Cliff Dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Prayers for your family and God bless you for stepping in to raise your granddaughter
Cliff Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #10
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Your post brings both emotions of sadness & joy...sorry for your loss & best wishes on your next chapter.

No help on the archery, but you may want to also introduce her into the shooting sports as well...we need more kiddos involved.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 10:02 AM   #11
Txmusfan
Six Point

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I appreciate the offer for the bow and would have probably taken you up on it (still may later), but I like the idea of letting her get the entire experience of the bow shop. I think I will take her with me and start looking. I think I can use it as a great learning experience on a lot of levels... fun, sport, business., etc.
BTW, this is not anything that ANY grandparent desires, but this little girl has had a very, very bad 9 years of life and I am getting anxious to turn it all around for her. I was not excited (to say the least) to give up my freedom and raise another child, but after a lot of prayer, the Lord has provided me with clarity and I am humbled that God has offered me this opportunity. I see many fun days ahead for all three of us.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:06 AM   #12
hog_down
Ten Point

No advice on the bow, but 2 giant thumbs up from me for what you are doing with the granddaughter.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #13
GarGuy
Pope & Young

You might consider a crossbow
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 10:20 AM   #14
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

I wish you the best of luck Sir, and I’m sorry for your loss.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 10:37 AM   #15
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

God bless you sir. I came from a rough upbringing and my escapes to my grandpa's house were the only thing that kept me sane. I am sorry for your loss but it sounds like your grandbaby may be better off for it.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 10:39 AM   #16
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I got nothing, when it comes to a bow....
But my prayers, and admiration for you and your wife.
Knows no bounds... God bless, you and the young lady...
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 10:48 AM   #17
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

I definitely recommend Mission bows. Several friends have done the same with their kids and Missions, and had great luck keeping a bow from 10 YO to 18.

Good luck, and all the best. Keep up the good work!
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 10:53 AM   #18
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Sorry to hear of y'alls loss. God Bless!
A big thumbs up to you & the wife for taking in your granddaughter. Worked with a guy that gave up his retirement to do the same. I have the utmost respect for y'all.
Please let us know as things develop , there are alot of us on here willing to get equipment to you to help .
This, just reach out and let us know once you have a good fill for what it is you need.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 10:55 AM   #19
BarW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

Started my daughter on a mission craze at about 11 years old. Solid little bow, very easy to adjust draw length as she grows.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:27 AM   #20
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I have a bow case that we no longer need if you need it
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #21
crash8005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

A Diamond Edge 320 or Prism might be the ticket. Adjustable from 5 lbs to 50 or 70 lbs. Draw length is fully adjustable as well. All can be adjusted without a bow press. She can grow for years with that bow. I got my wife a Diamond Infinate Edge and it has been great for her.

As for you taking care of your Granddaughter, God puts in places and situations for a reason. Sounds like he knew this young girl needed you. Over time you might grow to find that you needed her as much as she needed you.

Enjoy the journey. She is blessed to have people that care for her.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
crash8005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:46 AM   #22
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

You sir are on the right path, enrich her in what life has to offer... some friends of ours had to do a similar path with their god son. It was great to watch him grow up knowing he was given a better path.

Ditto on the Missions , they have some great youth bows
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:24 PM   #23
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Give that little gal a big hug as often as you can and tell her how much you love her. It will greatly help her through the trying times. God bless you and your wife.
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:38 PM   #24
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Oh man! My heart goes out to you, your wife, and your granddaughter.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #25
MSElkHunter
Nubbin' Buck

My 9 year old son has a Mission bow that has a lot of adjustment. I canít remember the model off hand. I think it goes up to somewhere around a 28Ē draw length. He got it a year or two ago. It has been a good bow. I would take a look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MSElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2022, 08:45 AM   #26
etbowhunter
Six Point

I think I've got a Yamaha 1/2 body in the music room at the house. My sons are both well past it so if it's there, she can have it. I'll check this evening and PM you if it's there.
etbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 09:01 AM   #27
Txmusfan
Six Point

UPDATE....
First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you for your contributions. It truly warms my heart. I didn't expect many replies and truly was just hoping for a little advice. My expectations were clearly exceeded. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Ok, so Saturday, we took Willow (our granddaughter) to a couple of music stores. We ended up purchasing a Fender acoustic that is perfect for her. She absolutely loves it.
She has said that she is not interested in a bow, but I have a feeling that will change later. We will see. At this point, it doesn't matter to me whether or not she decides to pursue hunting. I have other grandchildren that probably will...... I just want this one to be happy in whatever she chooses.
Again, thank you all very much.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:23 AM   #28
Cliff Dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

May God bless your journey with her
Cliff Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 09:43 AM   #29
txlawdog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lawdog Ranch Leakey TX in Real County

Props to you for taking on the challenge. Have fun and let her explore all the things that she may have missed. I'm sure things will be great with hopefully only a few bumps along the way. Give her time with the bow, maybe let her eventually try it for just target practice to get a feel of it. I'm sure she will be overwhelmed with all the new experiences. Have fun and thanks again for you and your wife's dedication on this challenge.
txlawdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 10:01 AM   #30
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

You and your wife our a true blessing .

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 10:12 AM   #31
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I wish you well and I have a lot of respect for you. Way to step up and take on a challenging and hopefully rewarding opportunity.

I'm glad to hear she loves the guitar and I hope someday she picks up the bow. Good luck with everything and let us know if you need anything.

fwiw - I second the recommendation on the Mission Radik. It is a lightweight, highly adjustable bow designed for kids. Several of my students started with it. Some still shoot it some upgraded.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top