Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-26-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County
Default Storm / Hurricane Preparedness

I was going to post this on the Hurricane Season thread but thought itd be viewed by less people. As most people in the state are experiencing, we are in a very severe drought. There are many immediate effects of drought that we are going through right now, such as foundation issues, water rationing and low water tables, grass/crops/trees and many other plants extremely stressed from a lack of available moisture. This is all Bad and is exceptionally hard on many of our trees after the stress of the freeze we had last winter. As an arborist I Started getting calls for stressed trees as early as the end of May. Now, almost to August, Im dealing with many different species that are going dormant early and or dying due to a lack of moisture. Many species of trees, including Cedar Elms, Water Oaks, Willow Oaks, Pecans and others have already had very large limbs which comprise up to 20% of the canopy just snap off due to how dry and brittle they are. This is even happening on trees that appear healthy otherwise.

Now, consider if we have a wind storm event come through. Even a strong tropical storm or Cat 1 Hurricane and were going to see unprecedented tree damage. This means unprecedented power outages or at least the ability to restore power due to the amount of debris down. What normally could have taken days to restore power in most other storms, will take weeks.

Make sure yall are prepared, if we do get a wind event this summer.
Sackett is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 06:33 PM   #2
Tyrex750
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

I'm ready, the generator is good and plenty of gas
Tyrex750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
Pstraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Thanks for the update. Be prepared.
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 06:55 PM   #4
91cavgt
Ten Point

We lost a lot of trees after the summer of 2011 so this makes sense. Thanks for the reminder.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 06:59 PM   #5
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

gen that runs on propane ( never goes bad)
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 07:10 PM   #6
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Great points Sackett!

And let's not forget about the stress the trees went through in Feb 2021. This drought is on the other end of that scale for the trees. They've barely had time to recover from that freeze.

The ones that survive this, too, might just live forever!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 07:35 PM   #7
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Great points Sackett!

And let's not forget about the stress the trees went through in Feb 2021. This drought is on the other end of that scale for the trees. They've barely had time to recover from that freeze.

The ones that survive this, too, might just live forever!
My wife mentioned today that one of our 72 year old live oaks was a touch brown. This tree has lived through everything you can imagine. They will be fine...
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 07:42 PM   #8
waterdog
Pope & Young

dont let your guard down, The Costliest Season on record didn’t have its first Major hurricane until Harvey became a Major hurricane Around August 24th.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 07:45 PM   #9
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Good info and reminder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #10
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
dont let your guard down, The Costliest Season on record didnt have its first Major hurricane until Harvey became a Major hurricane Around August 24th.

This. Nobody cares if the # forecast busts if one bad storm hits a major area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 07:53 PM   #11
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
gen that runs on propane ( never goes bad)

We thought the same thing. Installed a propane Gen after Ike, ran like a champ till Harvey.

Middle of the first night the storm hit the flywheel disintegrated and seized the motor. It had become brittle between storms and while it looked good every monthly service it was just strong enough.

If it was me Depending on how old it was Id have it deep checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #12
Plan B
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I was going to post this on the Hurricane Season thread but thought itd be viewed by less people. As most people in the state are experiencing, we are in a very severe drought. There are many immediate effects of drought that we are going through right now, such as foundation issues, water rationing and low water tables, grass/crops/trees and many other plants extremely stressed from a lack of available moisture. This is all Bad and is exceptionally hard on many of our trees after the stress of the freeze we had last winter. As an arborist I Started getting calls for stressed trees as early as the end of May. Now, almost to August, Im dealing with many different species that are going dormant early and or dying due to a lack of moisture. Many species of trees, including Cedar Elms, Water Oaks, Willow Oaks, Pecans and others have already had very large limbs which comprise up to 20% of the canopy just snap off due to how dry and brittle they are. This is even happening on trees that appear healthy otherwise.
Now, consider if we have a wind storm event come through. Even a strong tropical storm or Cat 1 Hurricane and were going to see unprecedented tree damage. This means unprecedented power outages or at least the ability to restore power due to the amount of debris down. What normally could have taken days to restore power in most other storms, will take weeks.

Make sure yall are prepared, if we do get a wind event this summer.

This⬆️⬆️
I work for an East Texas power company and we are monitoring tree situation closely. We are seeing elevated outages this month due to trees and limbs being dry and brittle and snapping with a little wind. Dead/danger tree reports are on the rise also.
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top