Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-25-2022, 03:22 PM   #1
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default Kids & Vacation Poll

I’m curious to know the percentage of families who take their kids with them for family vacation or if the big vacation is strictly adult only.

My kids are 15 and 7. We’ve only taken them to Destin and Gulf Shores a couple of time but that was years ago. Since then, it’s always just been my wife and I. I tend to lean more on the giving the kids experiences but my wife shuts it down and says they can travel when they’re old enough to pay for it and appreciate it. Which I agree to also.

Just curious how other families see it.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:26 PM   #2
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fruitvale, TX

We have now taken a total of one vacation without the kids. That was 2 years ago, but then again my youngest is 21. I do not understand the concept of a family vacation without the family.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:26 PM   #3
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public/Childress

We take our kids on all ours. Theyve been on cruises, destin, galveston, broken bow, and planning on a spring break trip to NM. i never got those experiences and memories when i was a kid, so im trying to break the cycle.
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Why dump your kids on someone when it is time for a family vacation?
If nothing else do two a year. One with and one without.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:32 PM   #5
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

My wife and I have been married for 12 years, we’ve only taken one vacation when it was just the two of us since we’ve been married. But we normally take 1-2 vacations per year we just always take the kids with us. I think it provides the kids with valuable experiences and builds their culture and knowledge. It is good for the kids to experience new things and places and food and get them out of their normal routine. I live in a small town, it’s good to show them there is a huge world out there other than what they know or experience in their hometown. In September, my wife and I are headed to Dublin without the kids. It will be just the second time we have left home without them. Kids are 6 and 9 fwiw
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:38 PM   #6
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Take the kids!!!

Turning around your wife's statement...you adults can take a vacation alone after there are grown.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:41 PM   #7
BubRay
Six Point

Hunt In: Albany

We take the kids. One day they will be grown and gone and I’ll sure miss all those times!
BubRay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:41 PM   #8
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Lol, I enjoy taking my son and showing him new experiences. Just got back to the hotel from fishing on the beach in gulf shores with him, my nephew and bil. Honestly, the wife and I have taken a trip or two by ourselves and after day 2 were missing our boy.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:41 PM   #9
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

Aside from some weekend trips, we've only been on two vacations without our kids. Those trips were about 15 years apart.

Seeing how much the kids enjoy it is almost worth the complete lack of relaxation.
CEO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #10
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubRay View Post
We take the kids. One day they will be grown and gone and I’ll sure miss all those times!
This! Gonna miss my little boy.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #11
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co, Brazoria Co, Colorado Co

If we do one big vacation, the kids are going. But we try to do one of each. My greatest memories are family vacations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MasonCo. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:43 PM   #12
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

We have gone to Hawaii and a cruise without the kids when they were younger but most of the time we go places together. It is nice to just have a trip with the wife from time to time. My middle daughter was 8 when we went to Hawaii without her and she's 16 now and still doesn't let us forget it!
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:47 PM   #13
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

We took the kids. Memories you can't make any other way.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:48 PM   #14
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

I always want to take the kids on the big vacations. My wife would rather get fed drinks for a week straight on the beach. So we go back and forth.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #15
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyRo View Post
I always want to take the kids on the big vacations. My wife would rather get fed drinks for a week straight on the beach. So we go back and forth.
This is my wife. She’s a homemaker. I think that has something to do with it. Midway through the summer she’s having a midlife crisis if we don’t get away.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #16
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

What I don`t understand is why so many people with HS age kids. Take their kids boyfriends and girlfriends on the family vacation. I would never do that.
tpack is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:00 PM   #17
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Balance…

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #18
TheHammer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

I can go out to eat with friends on a Saturday night or go for a day to Dallas with friends and hang out with no kids, but if I’m going for a extended period over for just the day I’m taking my kids!! Can’t stand being without them and most exciting experiences I have they’re the first ones I wish could have been there with me.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #19
MLank
Ten Point

I get not taking the kids for a long weekend or such and time away; but I'm dang sure making efforts to spend time away from typical everyday life with my kids on a "vacation".

That being said, taking kids isn't a vacation, it's a trip, and lots of work, and a lot of the time not enjoyable (mine are pretty young, it'll get much better). However, it's memories and bonding that the kids will one day, hopefully, appreciate. Especially if you tailor the type of trip to something they like and want to do.
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #20
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

I’m taking my kids majority of the time. My wife is a stay at home mom and still wants them to go with us. I understand alone time but vacations are tons of fun with the kids. This is assuming a real vacation and not just a weekend away. Our kids are good kids 99% of the time though so that helps as well.

Last edited by bphillips; 07-25-2022 at 04:13 PM.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #21
lanceodom
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LaSalle County

Teach the kids how to travel. We take our kids on vacations since they were young and they are great travelers now at 19, 16 & 15. We just spend two weeks in Colorado and I value that time more and more. I get that it is a ton of work when they are young but it pays off. Admittedly, I used to dread ski trips because I was the mule, lugging gear all over etc. but now my kids are so self sufficient and confident on a trip. We also have adult only trips but I really love the kids trips now!
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:18 PM   #22
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brown Co.

Wow. I am “slacked jawed “here.

We would never consider a real vacation without my kids.
At 23 & 27 they still went with us this year.
We loved being around our young kids outside of the normal grind.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #23
Rush2Judge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood County

If you wait until they are old enough to pay for it, they won't. Why would they want to spend their money to be with you when that has not been the role model?
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:23 PM   #24
175gr7.62
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

What is a vacation? Office, house, deer lease....that's it for us.
175gr7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:23 PM   #25
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

We just got back from the Bahamas with our kids! Love having them there and creating the memories. We do an adult only trip 1 time per year. The rest are with our kids.

CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:24 PM   #26
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

You can’t take a family vacation without the family
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:27 PM   #27
wloftis
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over Texas

We take the kids, but we call that a "trip" not a "vacation". We will go on some trips with just she and I and maybe some friends (no kids) and we call that a vacation.

That being said; while the kids tire us out; wouldn't change it. As others have said it is an experience for them and one day they may not want, or be able, to go with us.
wloftis is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:28 PM   #28
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land & Hamilton

wow. just got back from 8 days in Costa Rica with 3 kids(9, 14, 16). It was an awesome time and something I never got to experience with my parents. We never went on a single family vacation anywhere bc we were dirt poor. Them my dad died when I was 15 and all the memories I have of him are basically of him working.

Having said that, my wife and daughter and me and my 2 boys generally have much different views of what kinds of trips we want to do. We do a lot of shorter boys and girls trips than we do whole family vacations that is for sure.
Phorizt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:29 PM   #29
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto

Most of our vacations revolve around our girls and I wouldn't have it any other way. They are only kids for so long, soon they won't care about hanging out with mom and dad.

We take a few 1-2 night trips alone but otherwise they are with us.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #30
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

We've always taken a family vacation with the kids. Some of our kids' best memories are on trips we've taken. We also try to get away without them at least once a year where we can enjoy each other and not worry about entertaining kids. Now, they are all grown and the last ones are moving to college. We'll take a lot more trips just the two of us now, where we'll talk about how much fun it was to take our kids places.
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #31
Chase4556
Four Point

I don’t have a kid at vacationing age(she is 3mo) but I will say this…

I remember and cherish all the family vacations I went on with my parents. From our yearly New Braunfels trips staying at The Other Place on the comal, to colorado, Cancun, Disney… the memories are key.

I realize everyone is different but even if it’s shorter stateside long weekend trips, take the kids. Maybe You and the wife can get away to Mexico or something on a adults vacation once a year as well.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #32
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Take the kids!!!

Turning around your wife's statement...you adults can take a vacation alone after there are grown.
Agree, we always took our boy somewhere each spring break and usually once in the summer. He’s 26 now and we don’t go as much.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #33
dosrobles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bertram

We took “get aways” just us for a weekend but big trips we have taken the kids on. I agree about creating memories. We don’t get to travel much since we own a business but I do t like anyone more than I like
My kids. They are all out of the house and we are meeting in Port A next month-of course on Mom and I. But her and I are starting to travel with out them more. Canada fly fishing in September and somewhere for momma in December.
dosrobles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #34
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
This is my wife. She’s a homemaker. I think that has something to do with it. Midway through the summer she’s having a midlife crisis if we don’t get away.
Same.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #35
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty
Default Kids & Vacation Poll

When our son was small, we did a few trips without him to relax. As soon as he got old enough, trips became mostly about him. Now he’s 11 and loves to road trip! I imagine as he gets older he’ll have less and less use for us, so we don’t miss a chance to go on adventures with him!

Sometimes I go do things without them, sometimes my wife goes on trips without us, occasionally she and I get away without him…but at his age, we are all together a lot.

Our weekends are some variation or mixture of baseball, hunting, fishing, camping, skiing, or road tripping….with VERY few exceptions. I bet we don’t spend 10 weekends a year at home.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-25-2022 at 05:05 PM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #36
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Every trip so far has been as a family. I feel guilty dropping off responsibility on my parents. One day we he doesn't require as much attention, sure, we will do some 3 to 4 day trips just wife and me. But until then it wouldn't feel right. And even when he is old enough, we will still take him out with us. I guess just depends on if we need alone time or not.
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:13 PM   #37
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
You can’t take a family vacation without the family
This.

My parents may have went on one vacation without us growing up and we still all cherish the memories we made and the places we have seen. We have never ditched the kids taking a vacation and can't imagine leaving him behind with him missing out on all the new experiences. We still go on family vacations with my parents and I'm 36. Family is everything
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #38
Ten Point

My wife and I have a 16 year old son. We have taken two vacations without him and that was because I was already there for work so she fly out and we took a few extra days. One was Disney World and the other San Diego. our son was to young to go to either.
9452772 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:21 PM   #39
ra61hunting
Eight Point

Just remember who is going to choose which nursing home you will be put into.
ra61hunting is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:22 PM   #40
Gerald G
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mississippi, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Take the kids!!!

You forgot to say “Good Grief “
Gerald G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:23 PM   #41
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Kids grow up fast and trips are a great way to make memories. I still remember the trips my parents took myself and sisters. Places like the Guad/Comal in New Braunfels, Disney, Florida beaches, State parkets, etc. I get not necessarily wanting to jump on a plane, but all of those places were drivable.

I also understand the need for some balance and a healthy relationship with ones spouse and wanting to "get away" from time to time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

To me, the hardest times for trips seem to be when the kids are young. The younger kids require a certain level of attention, especially the baby/toddler ages and that really limits activities, travel distance, etc. The wife and I have taken a couple of those and halfway through were wishing the grandparents were around to help out.
CaptainDave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:33 PM   #42
NBK75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe

18, 13, and 7 and they always go with us, one day they won’t. Wife and I will have “date nights” but not more then one night away from home.
NBK75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #43
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

We did not take many vacations before children. Too busy workin! But when the kids got into sports we started traveling for sports, tournaments. Tournament vacations usually included a few days before and/or after the tournaments. Lotsa good times were had. And we took them on just vacations too but those times were few and far between. Glad we had those experiences together.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:41 PM   #44
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

I feel like my kids have a vacation every weekend….We maybe spend 1 weekend a month at home.

We’ll have 3 or 4 “vacations” this year and the kids will be with us on all but 1
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 06:00 PM   #45
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Take um ! Look at all the memories that wasn't made. Your wife say they need to pay for it . My gosh i still subsidize

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 06:34 PM   #46
BlackoutRam2500
Ten Point

This question reminds me of when my daughter was in kindergarten and missed a week of school because we went to Mexico on a family vacation. When she got back a classmate asked her where she'd been? She said Mexico on vacation and the little girl told her she was a liar because kids weren't allowed to go to Mexico. Lol

We take our kids everywhere. It's impossible to convince them America is the greatest country on earth and they need to be grateful for their blessings if they never get to see first hand how people live in other countries.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 06:36 PM   #47
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bogies on the Golf Course

You only get so many summers to vacation with your kids before they are grown. Doesn’t mean it’ll stop but it’ll definitely be different after that. Take as many as you can while they are young.
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 07:35 PM   #48
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

I have awesome childhood memories of family vacations driving all over this country, sleeping in a tent and inside of the back of station wagons and such.

Without those to lean on, what memories would I have?

We've practiced the balanced approach, big marker trips (5yr, 10 yr, 15yr, 20yr anniversaries) are just the two of us or with other adults.

Anything else is a family trip, those are the memories that get remembered when the rest of it becomes a blur.
As is starting to occur in my brain.
I need to keep mixing it up, anytime we've done the same thing more than once my memory bank can't separate out one trip from the other.

Good Lord willing we've got a hum-dinger planned for next spring when my son get's home from year two of being away at school.

Last edited by DaveC; 07-25-2022 at 07:37 PM.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 07:59 PM   #49
Diamond07
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb

The best part about vacation is seeing the excitement in my kids eyes. You’ll have plenty of time to go on vacation alone when they are busy with families of their own. Unless you teach them to leave their kids at home and you get stuck babysitting while your kids vacation
Diamond07 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 08:23 PM   #50
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond07 View Post
The best part about vacation is seeing the excitement in my kids eyes. You’ll have plenty of time to go on vacation alone when they are busy with families of their own. Unless you teach them to leave their kids at home and you get stuck babysitting while your kids vacation
That made me lol
Hell I think my parents enjoy the vacations more with the grandkid than they did with us.
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top