Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Default Diesel gurus question

Iíve got an Ď02 Duramax and just about every 5,000 miles it starts getting starved for fuel and I have to get a new fuel filter.

Obviously something is amiss but I donít know if itís a sign the injectors are failing, or if maybe the fuel tanks dirty. Or maybe even something else?

Any thoughts or ideas as to what may be the issue is greatly appreciated. I just want my truck running right.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 11:11 AM   #2
Twist
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Sounds like a pressure issue, like once the filter gets somewhat dirty the engine possibly isn’t getting the fuel it needs due to lower pressure from something before the filter.

You should be able to get a gauge. Check the fuel pressure with a new filter, or as it currently sits as long as it’s running fine. When the issue starts, check again to see if there’s a drop.
Twist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

Could be several things, water maybe or debris or even algae. You should probably drop the tank and have it cleaned then use some Power Service to clean up the fuel system.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #4
CWaller30
Six Point

Hunt In: Falls County, TX/Oklahoma/KS

I’d put an airdog of fass fuel system on it just to keep fuel cleaner and a constant supply of fuel. It’s a life saver on my 2001 Cummins.
CWaller30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #5
Bassdeer
Ten Point

First thing comes to mind is CP3 pump, Mine was doing the same thing (2005) Change the filter and was ok for a little. Thought I had bad fuel, algae, ended up being the CP3. That was about 6 years ago. Now I have a air leak somewhere and have to pump up my fuel filter housing every morning to run for the day, unless I'm parked on a slight slop then it starts right up.
Bassdeer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 11:54 AM   #6
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
Could be several things, water maybe or debris or even algae. You should probably drop the tank and have it cleaned then use some Power Service to clean up the fuel system.
I typically use Howes Every 2 to 3 fill-upís. Is there any difference between the two?

I appreciate the other suggestions too. I think Iím going to take it to a dealer this week and leave it for a few days to see what they can find.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:57 AM   #7
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Are you using AC Delco filters? Those engines don't love aftermarket filters. If the filter is truly plugged with debris you have dirt/sand/trash in the tank itself. Next filter cut it open and see if there is truly debris.

If no debris is found. And you are using a AC Delco filter. Your fuel pump (mounted in engine valley) draws the fuel from the tank. There is a large Schrader valve on the top right side of the engine. That's where a vacuum gage is installed to check the vacuum.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 12:18 PM   #8
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
Are you using AC Delco filters? Those engines don't love aftermarket filters. If the filter is truly plugged with debris you have dirt/sand/trash in the tank itself. Next filter cut it open and see if there is truly debris.

If no debris is found. And you are using a AC Delco filter. Your fuel pump (mounted in engine valley) draws the fuel from the tank. There is a large Schrader valve on the top right side of the engine. That's where a vacuum gage is installed to check the vacuum.
Some have been AC DelcoĎs, some have not. Iíve gotten to where I have it done at a dealership, so my assumption is that thatís what theyíre using. I really donít think itís a issue with the fuel filter itself though. I believe at this point thereís an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
shiner78
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales, county

Cut the filter open to see what's clogging it up.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
shiner78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 01:19 PM   #10
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
I typically use Howes Every 2 to 3 fill-upís. Is there any difference between the two?

I appreciate the other suggestions too. I think Iím going to take it to a dealer this week and leave it for a few days to see what they can find.
PS has several products that clean the fuel, kill algae and boost cetane. Give it a Google it really does work, I didn't relly believe in it until we started selling it and seeing the results.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2022, 08:10 AM   #11
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

So the dealership said the fuel lines are collapsed, to the tune of $1,300, which is fine if that fixes the issue, but can y’all think of anything else I should have them look at or check for?
Old 07-14-2022, 09:05 AM   #12
flinch
Four Point

did they explain how a new fuel filter" uncollapses" your fuel lines for a few thousand miles with any kind of logic??
flinch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #13
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinch View Post
did they explain how a new fuel filter" uncollapses" your fuel lines for a few thousand miles with any kind of logic??
Not sure I follow?
Old 07-14-2022, 09:35 AM   #14
scott1022
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

I think that flinch is asking... if they say that it's because of a collapsed fuel line, then how do they explain a fuel filter swap making the situation better for another 5,000 miles?
scott1022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #15
hog_down
Ten Point

Is the truck stock? Any tune or aftermarket parts?
hog_down is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2022, 09:48 AM   #16
Twist
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1022 View Post
I think that flinch is asking... if they say that it's because of a collapsed fuel line, then how do they explain a fuel filter swap making the situation better for another 5,000 miles?
There's probably enough fuel pressure for the truck to perform somewhat normal until the filter starts to get dirty. Once there's restriction in the filter, it lowers the pressure even more and doesn't allow for enough fuel in order for the engine to run properly.

It's kind of what I was alluding to in my initial post.

edit- Obviously the lines aren't completely collapsed or there wouldn't be fuel at all. It could be partially collapsed though, I suppose.
Twist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #17
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1022 View Post
Gotcha. So assuming there is a restriction, and assuming the fuel lines are collapsed, should I be looking for a different cause of the line collapse?

Perhaps opening the vacuum when the fuel filter is replaced releases the suction in the lines causing the collapse? And then over time the suction collapses the lines, rinse and repeat. If that were the case the lines may very well be collapsed, but maybe there’s a different underlying issue somewhere.

Last edited by Etxbuckman; 07-14-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:55 AM   #18
Radar
Pope & Young

Its the fuel line from the tank, mine was a rubber hose that would collapse and is routed next to the transmission. When you change the fuel filter it relieves the pressure, you can also loosen the bleeder screw and it will run again. I replaced the hose and drilled a small hole in the fuel tank cap valve, never had anymore issues.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #19
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Its the fuel line from the tank, mine was a rubber hose that would collapse and is routed next to the transmission. When you change the fuel filter it relieves the pressure, you can also loosen the bleeder screw and it will run again. I replaced the hose and drilled a small hole in the fuel tank cap valve, never had anymore issues.
Drilled a hole in the actual fuel cap where you pump diesel into?
Old 07-14-2022, 10:10 AM   #20
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Drilled a hole in the actual fuel cap where you pump diesel into?
In the pressure valve in the cap, I replaced the cap with a new one but every time I would fill up the filler neck hose would be collapsed. There is a small white valve inside the cap and I drilled a tiny hole just in the valve not the cap itself. I believe the vacuum pressure is only like 5psi - 10psi from the tank to the pump.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #21
MacDaddy67
Pope & Young

CP3 getting weak...get a FASS system or some sort of lift pump...the CP3 has to pull from the tank......

FASS will get it done...
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #22
ramrod
Eight Point

How do you know it's starving for fuel? Is it loosing prime or spuddering under load?
ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2022, 01:25 PM   #23
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
CP3 getting weak...get a FASS system or some sort of lift pump...the CP3 has to pull from the tank......

FASS will get it done...
Would a failing CP3 cause the lines to collapse? The dealership told me the lines are definitely collapsed and need to be replaced, but it sounds like that may just be a symptom of an underlying cause. The CP3 has never been replaced, and with nearly 206k miles it sounds like it's past time for it to crap out anyway.

Perhaps it's sucking so hard to try and get fuel that suction is causing this collapse?

Last edited by Etxbuckman; 07-14-2022 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #24
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
How do you know it's starving for fuel? Is it loosing prime or spuddering under load?
Sputtering under load, and it's especially noticeable going up a hill even if you're not pulling anything. You can feel the truck trying, but it’s sluggish and/or sputtering as you say. And if you press harder on the accelerator you can feel it sputtering slightly, but it doesn't increase the speed at all.

The weird thing is that when you crest and begin to come down the hill it sounds like the RPM's are up, but the tachometer doesn't reflect that.

Last edited by Etxbuckman; 07-14-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #25
freestylest22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Paducah and Silverton

I didn't read thru all the comments but I'd bet money its the fuel filter housing. They are prone to small cracks, bleeder screw and the prime pump leaking. If you can swing it put a FASS pump on it and remove the factory filter housing.
freestylest22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2022, 02:08 PM   #26
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylest22 View Post
I didn't read thru all the comments but I'd bet money its the fuel filter housing. They are prone to small cracks, bleeder screw and the prime pump leaking. If you can swing it put a FASS pump on it and remove the factory filter housing.
Is a Fass and lift-pump the same thing? That's been mentioned here several times, and it's been mentioned to me a few times in the past as well.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:19 PM   #27
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Broke parent kids baseball club

Ya pretty much, Air Dog makes a lift pump also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 05:05 PM   #28
freestylest22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Paducah and Silverton

Quote:
Is a Fass and lift-pump the same thing? That's been mentioned here several times, and it's been mentioned to me a few times in the past as well.
Yes same thing. But for sure remove the factory filter housing if you do that route. Or replace it with an OEM one to maybe resolve your problem.
freestylest22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 05:22 PM   #29
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Let’s start all over. What’s the complaint?
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 08:44 PM   #30
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Lift pump…

Install a fuel pressure gauge, critical for diagnosis in diesels.

Fass/air dog are just brands of aftermarket lift pumps. Both my Cummins have them. High flow pump provides tons of fuel to motor. When/if you do install one save the trouble of dropping the tank and install a sump on your tank. It’s so much easier and it ensures you get all the fuel from the tank.

Last edited by BLACKFINTURKEY; 07-18-2022 at 08:47 PM.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 08:48 PM   #31
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Let’s start all over. What’s the complaint?
Trucks having issues getting fuel starting at about 5k miles following a filter change.

I know for sure the lines were collapsed, but I’m still waiting to see if they found anything else out. By all other accounts it sounds like I need to have a lift pump and pressure gauge installed too.

Next year I’m gonna have them replace the injectors and CP3 so I can quit worrying about those too.