Portable A/C units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable A/C units

Does anyone have any experience with a portable AC unit?
    Our RV has a single unit and it doesn’t get it cool enough in the 95+ days.

I was looking at a portable AC to add to the bedroom.

Any input would be helpful

Thanks

I have used them for years. If you buy one, Get the dual hose. That way it pulls and expels air from the outside. If you get a single hose, it pulls inside air and pushes it over the condenser and then to the outside which in turn pulls in more hot outside air. I know that's a long explanation, but, trust me and spend the extra money for a dual hose.

Comment

I have one. I would go with a window unit before I used a portable. They are not real efficient.

Comment

I don’t want to use a window unit in the RV

Comment

We've got a couple from when we raised pocket pets that couldn't take a broke ac day. All you have to do is cut some foam rubber to seal the exhaust hose and window.

Comment

I have one and it works fine for what you have asked. but for them to work well you have to have 2 hoses. 1 place to pull air in for the condenser coil and another hose to exhaust outside.

Comment

One thing to remember is you also have a small drain hose for the condensate water to go. In the heat it can fill up pretty quick. Would hate to have to cut a hole in the floor for that

Comment

Look into a mini split.

Comment

How big is your trailer? Do you have ducted air ?

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
                    One thing to remember is you also have a small drain hose for the condensate water to go. In the heat it can fill up pretty quick. Would hate to have to cut a hole in the floor for that
                    I've got one that drains on top of the condensing coils and the heat makes the water evaporate. Doesn't have a drain hose and have never had to empty it. Pretty interesting design. And it is 14k btu and blows ice cold!

Comment

I had one in my fifth wheel while living in Phoenix. It helped a lot. It is a 10k BTU Toshiba I bought from Home Depot.

Comment

i need a low amp draw portable ac for a camper.
                        the main unit doesn't get it done but i am limited to 30 amps..
                        any ideas?

Comment

A mini split is the way to make right, and look good. A window unit is the cheapest most direct line fix.
                          Running the inside portable units that exhaust outside work but will never achieve the lower temps a window unit would. The reason is how the system works. The inside unit is using conditioned air to produce newly conditioned air. The system is set up to condition the hot air.
                          I have ran like BTU units and measured the temps and energy output and the window unit gets near 10 degrees cooler and runs more efficient than the portable units that exhaust outside.

Comment

My wife bought one for the condo we are renting. It will freeze you out. I’ll look when I get home and take a picture of it. It will dang sure cool one room

Comment

Here is the unit
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X