• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cam Hanes new book Endure was great

Comment

Chop Wood Carry Water by Joshua Medcalf. Very good as it speaks to focus and be great at the little things. Your 10 year old would enjoy it. I have all my employees read it.

Comment

Originally posted by SETXbowhunter22 View Post
          Cam Hanes new book Endure was great
          It’s an ok read but there is a lot of truth sidestepped/omitted in that book.

I can’t recommend it because of the half truths in it
          Last edited by txtrophy85; 08-10-2022, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I will second "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge. Absolutely helped in my relationship with the Lord, and how I raised my son. Can't recommend this book enough.

Comment

If you’re not already doing it, let them see you in the Word every morning. Let them see you on your knees in prayer. Pray with them and over them every night. Those will be the things they remember about their dad.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                It’s an ok read but there is a lot of truth sidestepped/omitted in that book.

I can’t recommend it because of the half truths in it
                I'd be interested to hear them, feel free to PM me instead of clogging up this thread. I'm reading it now, and it's not exactly a page turner.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  I'd be interested to hear them, feel free to PM me instead of clogging up this thread. I'm reading it now, and it's not exactly a page turner.
                  If you pay close attention it will reveal a lot of the facts he chooses to leave out. Not taking away from the guy but I think he fudges a little on his day to day time schedule. Unless he sleeps only 4 hours a night which some do. But his intense work out/running schedule would leave almost no time for family. Logistically I don’t know if is possible. He attributes everything to his hard work. But, he is also more genetically gifted than the average guy. He is also using steroids. I’m not anti steroid but be honest when you are writing a book that he is able to achieve these intense workout schedules and his physique with the help of PEDS. Look at him him when he first got on the scene and look at him today. It’s obvious he is using a PED.

Second is his “ I’m just an average guy who works hard” mantra. Yes. He works hard. He also has sponsorships they allow him to go on these hunts. He claims he has killed 60 bull elk, he killed his first at 19 and is now 53. That’s not average Joe territory.

Towards the end of the book when writing about the elk he wounded on the Gila and then shot again a day later, that story is full of holes. First off, no elk hunt in the US is $70 k. **** sure the guides tip isnt $12k or whatever he claimed it to be. So when you find something like this that is so full of misinformation you have to question the entire thing.

He is a phenomenal athlete and a **** good Bowhunter. But his job is to make money thru sponsorships and endorsements by attracting as many unwitting followers as he can, most of which don’t every question anything that comes out of his mouth, they take it as gospel

On top of all that, in my opinion the book wasn’t written very well. It jumps around from topic to topic and takes too many side steps. But that is my opinion as a writer.
                  Last edited by txtrophy85; 08-10-2022, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Mans Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl

7 Habits of Highly Effective People

The One Thing

Profit First

The 10X Rule

Eat That Frog

The 12 Week Year

Comment

The Making of Manhood by William James Dawson

Not a book, but Frederick Douglass' lecture on Self-Made Men is pretty swell.
                      Last edited by Hayek'sPupil; 08-10-2022, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                            Not exactly self development books, but as a family we read each night. The favorites so far are; flight of passage- Rinker Buck
                            Spirit of St. Louis - Charles Lindbergh
                            Canoeing with the Cree- Eric Severud
                            These are all more adventure books of young people doing some things I can’t imagine doing at their ages, but it’s instilled confidence and big thinking.
                            I’m not a big fan of Robert Kiyosaki as a person or businessman, but I think his Rich Dad, Poor Dad book is a good way to introduce young people to money and life.
                            Beyond that, the boys run a little vegetable stand in front of the house selling produce, pumpkins and maple syrup that they help with. They have to help with the planting and maintaining of the garden, as well as purchase and re-sell pumpkins from a farmer.
                            They’ve had to learn to take care of inventory, count money, pay their wholesaler and speak with adults and strangers.
                            My parents and I each have some rental property, so they always have some projects they are helping with. They hate it, and they don’t get paid much, especially after “taxes,” but we’re teaching them they can have whatever they want in life if they’ll go for and work it through to completion.
                            The boys are learning from the Bible, as well as life skills and an emphasis on creating and managing money.
                            We often say things like pay to play, work hard play hard and only when the works done and the tools are put away.

Not exactly self development books, but as a family we read each night.
                            ^^This

Comment

The original self help book !
                              The Bible.

Comment

Strengthsfinder by Tom Rath. It's a great book to read to understand you limitations and accept them. Some folks are meant to be rocket scientists and brain surgeons. Some folks are meant to ride the back of a trash truck. It's a great book to make you really ask questions of yourself. You have to find you place in the world and be happy where you are at.

Comment

Working...
                                X