Home builder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home builder question

So my “expansion joints” on the side of our home have been appropriately name. I have watered around our foundation for months in an attempt to avoid foundation damage.
    Will the expansion joints contract as the heat abates or is this an indication of foundation shifting? We don’t have sticky doors, windows, cracks in sheet rock etc; however, there is a small crack in our tile in the bathroom that was there when we bought the home three years ago. They have not moved since then.

Not to be a smart aleck, but are the expansion joints expanding, or is the caulk shrinking / aging?

Comment

If you can take a picture that would help. If you don't have cracked sheetrock I would say that you have minimal movement and you are fine.

Comment

Yes they are expanding. I’m assuming that’s what they are designed to do. But how far? They are 3/4 of an inch now

Comment

Is your foundation cracked (Beyond the typical hairline cracks)? If not, I wouldn't worry about it and just replace the caulk.

Comment

No sir foundation is not cracked. So I looked at my other joints that have caulk intact and they appear to be about 1/2 “ wide with the caulk. Surely the severe heat on that side has to play into this.

Comment

Anything that can expand with heat or contract due to lack of moisture is moving right now. It's terrible. I can't even believe what I see happening to sidewalks and paving.

Comment

Yes. I’ve tried to water around the house all summer and still can’t keep the dang yard alive

Comment

If the expansion joints are actually growing / expanding, something is not right. They are there to give the brick a place to move if the house shifts or settles. They are designed to help minimize cracks in brick veneer. If they are I fact growing something is not right. But it’s hard to say what is not right without more detailed info.

Are you sure wall ties were installed?

Comment

No sir. The home is about 17 years old now.

Comment

Working...
                    X