Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 08-04-2022, 05:30 PM   #1
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas
Default Load development and scope mounting help - Houston area

Looking for some help reloading for a 300prc and mounting a scope. Picked up the gun a couple days ago and need to mount a NF nx8 on it, fire form 100 brass, and work a hunting load up. I have all components for reloading (brass, primers, powder, projectiles, neck sizer, seating die, mandrel). I donít have a press, trimmer, powder dispenser, etc. I have a friend that is awesome at reloading (prs shooter) but he doesnít have time in the next 2-3 weeks and I leave to Alaska (hopefully) on Sep 6. Should have had my gun back a month ago but there was an issue with the stock and manners had to rebuild one for me. I could use his equipment but canít for two reasons the first is that I donít have the experience needed really and not comfortable taking on the task. The second is I developed a nerve issue in my left arm on Saturday that has left me with about 70% loss of usage in my arm. Spent this week doing CT scan, EKG, MRI, etc. with no answers from those tests. I have a nerve test next Tuesday to check nerve impulses to hope and see where the issue lies. Doc keeps throwing out multiple sclerosis as a higher probability. Hope to dodge that bullet. We will see. At least I can kind of move it today and lift my elbow level with my shoulder. Had no use at all Saturday.

Anywho, thought Iíd ask and see if anyone could help. If not, Iíll leave it in the safe if I go to Alaska and bang away at caribou with my 270. Iím willing to pay someone for their time to compensate for the trouble.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2022, 07:23 PM   #2
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Dreams

Good luck - bump sir...
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2022, 09:11 PM   #3
RifleBowPistol
Pope & Young

Hopefully this turns out good for you, hope it's something simple, and you get it fixed before the hunt. I would help with the loading, but a long ways from you.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2022, 09:22 PM   #4
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

At this point, if you really want to shoot the PRC I’d try some factory ammo. If it shoots good take it. If not, use the 270. You’re too close to leaving to work up a load.

Prayers for your heath situation
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2022, 09:30 PM   #5
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD View Post
At this point, if you really want to shoot the PRC Iíd try some factory ammo. If it shoots good take it. If not, use the 270. Youíre too close to leaving to work up a load.

Prayers for your heath situation

Appreciate the prayers. Really do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2022, 09:49 PM   #6
Geraldg6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Snook, Texas

Think of it like this, if it helps. The old timers used to kill caribou with far less Technolgy on every front before. Get you some quality factory ammo and see what the rifle likes. As for the scope, take it and the rifle to a gunsmith to have it mounted if you donít know the process. Either one of those rifle will kill a caribou. I hope that your arm heals before your trip. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Geraldg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2022, 09:51 PM   #7
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldg6 View Post
Think of it like this, if it helps. The old timers used to kill caribou with far less Technolgy on every front before. Get you some quality factory ammo and see what the rifle likes. As for the scope, take it and the rifle to a gunsmith to have it mounted if you donít know the process. Either one of those rifle will kill a caribou. I hope that your arm heals before your trip. Good luck.

Itís not the not knowing the process to mount the scope. Itís trying to do it with 1 1/3 arms. Lol. Took an hour just to gets rings on and scope on just to make sure rings would work with integrated rail.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:57 PM   #8
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

Get rid of that neck sizing die and get you a full length or full length bushing die. People in the know don’t use neck sizing does anymore. Especially on hunting guns.Best wishes on a speedy recovery!
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2022, 10:10 PM   #9
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Get rid of that neck sizing die and get you a full length or full length bushing die. People in the know donít use neck sizing does anymore. Especially on hunting guns.

Itís a full length bushing die. That was an error on my part. Bullet central micron 300 prc. I have a .330 and .334 bushing. Iím thinking the .334 bushing will do the trick. (Hope) Also have a 21st century expander mandrel with Sinclair 30 cal tin mandrel and bullet central micron full neck size seating die.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:01 PM   #10
Geraldg6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Snook, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Itís not the not knowing the process to mount the scope. Itís trying to do it with 1 1/3 arms. Lol. Took an hour just to gets rings on and scope on just to make sure rings would work with integrated rail.

Yea I didnít even think about you not being able to use your arm. My bad. Still, youíre out of time. Have a professional mount the scope, shoot, and start dreaming of caribou in the crosshairs.

Just a fun fact about hunting gear. My brother and I hunted elk in Idaho last year. Preface, Iím a gun nut and have a couple custom rifles. All in short action non magnum rounds. Great for Texas but I didnít want to take them to hunt elk. My brother and I ended buying Christensen Arms Mesas. His in 300 prc and mine in 300 win mag. His topped with a Leupold VX5HD and mine in a swarvo z3. We both killed elk with them and factory ammo. Nice rifles but nothing crazy.

We shared camp with 6 other hunters. 3 of 6 dropped some major coin on custom rifles, optics and loads from gunwerks. Good for them. Point of the story is only one of them actually knew how to utilize their investment. The other 2 (father son duo) were so arrogant and annoying. Bragging about this and that. First day of hunting something with one of those custom rifles went wrong. Literally more worried about the guns and making sure everyone knew they had them and where they were from. They were so consumed about the guns. It was so bad that when their guide got them on an elk they demanded they should back up and not take the 200-300 shot. It was not challenging enough. The guide dumbfounded, did what the client wanted. Back them up to 600 or so yards. You can guess what happened next. They both wounded those elk. One elk was hit way back and high. Right before the pelvis and under the spine. The other elk was gut shot. Luckily they had top notch guides and were able to kill them hours later. After all was said and done the duo packed up the next morning and left before the trip was actually over from embarrassment. And the fact some of the other guys were giving them hell. They had another 2 days to hunt or help scout for other hunters. Both had excuse after excuse to why they make perfect shots.

Best part of the this trip was that the best shot that was made was on the last day by a dentist in his late 70s to early 80s. Killed him with a weatherby in 300 wby. Probably a 20-30 year old gun. Had the weatherby ammo.

Point of the story, get caught up in the hunt and killing the animal in the most humane way. Not the gear. The goal is to get the animal on the ground quick and to enjoy the hunt. I donít think you can do that worrying about your gear and how it makes you look. Donít be the father son duo.

Geraldg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 01:58 PM   #11
db@100
Ten Point

Dan, you should have posted that your wife would be there to help!
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 02:27 PM   #12
bdubb
Four Point

Used to have a business that did just what you're looking for a few years ago, but no longer and without the required FFL these days. As others have said, at this point I'd just try box ammo and find one that shoots and be done with it.

Just about any decent gunsmith should have been able to help mount the scope level and bore sight the scope properly.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #13
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Get rid of that neck sizing die and get you a full length or full length bushing die. People in the know donít use neck sizing does anymore. Especially on hunting guns.Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Did you mean neck-sizing dies only or neck-sizing in general? If its in general,
and your using the same brass in the same gun, then you only need to neck size or else you're working the entire brass all the time, which is needless.
All you need is enough tension to hold bullet solidly.
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 08:29 PM   #14
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
Did you mean neck-sizing dies only or neck-sizing in general? If its in general,
and your using the same brass in the same gun, then you only need to neck size or else you're working the entire brass all the time, which is needless.
All you need is enough tension to hold bullet solidly.
Keep doing what you been doing. Sooner or later it will bite you in the backside. Brass flows forward and eventually you will get some that won't chamber. Bumping the shoulder 2 thou or so is where it's at. Buy some better quality brass and you'll get 20 loadings out of a case if you don't hotrod.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #15
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

Best way is to neck size for the first few firings. You then check brass without the firing spring in gun. As itís hard to chamber you bump 1-2 thou and now your set for your specific chamber.

I do neck size and FL size in two separate steps. Unfortunately Lee doesnít have a collet due for the 300prc yet.

Quote:
Keep doing what you been doing. Sooner or later it will bite you in the backside. Brass flows forward and eventually you will get some that won't chamber. Bumping the shoulder 2 thou or so is where it's at. Buy some better quality brass and you'll get 20 loadings out of a case if you don't hotrod.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2022, 08:57 PM   #16
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:

Thatís what Iíve been told by guys reloading for 30 years and have loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds usually annually. That is, if youíre wanting to load benchrest accuracy out of a 9.5 pound hunting rifle. . If itís capable of 1/3-1/4 moa, why not?

Old 08-06-2022, 08:59 PM   #17
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
Best way is to neck size for the first few firings. You then check brass without the firing spring in gun. As itís hard to chamber you bump 1-2 thou and now your set for your specific chamber.

I do neck size and FL size in two separate steps. Unfortunately Lee doesnít have a collet due for the 300prc yet.
Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work. I don't believe there are any F class shooters that neck size. They shoot tiny little groups at long distance. I think I'll keep doing what they are doing.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:02 PM   #18
fish4food
Ten Point

Erik Cortina’s perspective on it.
fish4food is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #19
texasforever
Ten Point

Hunt In: lavaca co.

Hey man if youíre still needing help I can give you a hand. Iím in the Wharton area but work in Houston so could meet up with you some time during the week to grab components and help you get all set up. Donít really need to fire form all 100 and can do load dev in well under 20 rounds. Shoot me a PM if youíre interested, it being a fairly new chamber spec itís not hard to have something right out of the gate shooting .75-.5 if the gun is fully capable

texasforever is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasforever View Post
Hey man if youíre still needing help I can give you a hand. Iím in the Wharton area but work in Houston so could meet up with you some time during the week to grab components and help you get all set up. Donít really need to fire form all 100 and can do load dev in well under 20 rounds. Shoot me a PM if youíre interested, it being a fairly new chamber spec itís not hard to have something right out of the gate shooting .75-.5 if the gun is fully capable

I appreciate it. I should have some help this week if all works out. Friend of a friend. He has a shop he loads and builds in with a pretty cool set up. Sit in the a/c and shoot out a window next to a loading bench with all components at arms reach. Even has lights to help fine tune loads at night after it cools down and the mirage goes away. Iíll know for sure on Tuesday though.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:44 AM   #21
labman
Eight Point

OP, good luck with finding some help. As to your loss of strength, have you had an MRI done on your neck? Last fall, I experienced a similar issue with a very gradual loss of strength almost unnoticeable. on my left side, then it seemed to be overnight with a dramatic strength loss. I had some minor upper back pain, but nothing dramatic. MRI and a consult with a neurosurgeon showed lower neck impingement with nerve compression. The follow up nerve test showed which nerves were impacted and verified the MRI findings. A two level neck fusion surgery fixed the issue.

10 months post op, I'm 100% recovered in some nerves, 60-80% in others. The loss of strength is incredibly frustrating when trying to perform daily activities.
labman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2022, 01:39 PM   #22
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
OP, good luck with finding some help. As to your loss of strength, have you had an MRI done on your neck? Last fall, I experienced a similar issue with a very gradual loss of strength almost unnoticeable. on my left side, then it seemed to be overnight with a dramatic strength loss. I had some minor upper back pain, but nothing dramatic. MRI and a consult with a neurosurgeon showed lower neck impingement with nerve compression. The follow up nerve test showed which nerves were impacted and verified the MRI findings. A two level neck fusion surgery fixed the issue.

10 months post op, I'm 100% recovered in some nerves, 60-80% in others. The loss of strength is incredibly frustrating when trying to perform daily activities.

The mri of the cervical spine as well as the shoulder showed no signs that would cause the sudden numbness in my arm and severe loss of strength. Ct scan was clear, ekg was clear. I have a nerve test tomorrow to see if and where there may be an issue. I can now lift my arm over my head and above my shoulder laterally but takes some effort to do so. Probably couldnít do it with 10 pounds in my hand though. The area from my elbow to my shoulder is a constant dull numb feeling. Almost the same sensation you feel as a nerve block injection is wearing off. Every day o continue to get more movement back but itís slow. Itís been over a week and Iíve only been able to lift my arm for 3 days. Each day it gets easier but at a snails pace. If I have my arm in a sling for extended periods my shoulder feels as itís tightening up as does my elbow and forearm. So I forgo the sling and try to move my arm around and stretch throughout the day in order to keep it from tightening. Been throwing a heating pad on at night to try and relax the muscles.

And youíre right. Frustration is an understatement. I now have a tiny glimpse of what my. Dad went through when I was a kid and lost his left arm between his elbow and wrist at 40 years old. And he was left handed. This sucks on so many level. Especially right now with work being busy and trying to go to Alaska on a drop caribou hunt in 4 weeks with just me and my wife.

I desperately need the usage of my arm in a month. This was supposed to be our last giant adventure before having kids and weíve been working towards this trip for the last 2 years by getting her comfortable in the Colorado mountains. This is her trip. She decided that this is what she wanted to do. Over anything else. And now Iím a dam gimp that canít do half of what I could 10 days agoÖ.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:55 PM   #23
labman
Eight Point

Keep the faith brother! I felt like I needed a hoist and pulley to accomplish anything with my arm. I hope you find some answers quickly, I've had my share of surgeries but the loss of strength from nerve damage leaves you helpless mentally.

Sounds like your taking all the right steps, keep us posted on the nerve test. Man, I really sympathize with your condition.
labman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #24
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

I was struggling working up a load for my .300 WinMag in time when my friend, who owns Patco Ace Hardware in Alvin, TX suggested the reload ammo he sells. I shot some 180 gr bullets that shot as well as any reloads I've tried. I killed my elk at 400 and a mulie at 200. They have numerous bullets you can't find anywhere and will make some for you given a little time. I bought 4 boxes and don't anticipate reloading the .300 winmag for a long time.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2022, 12:49 PM   #25
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
Keep the faith brother! I felt like I needed a hoist and pulley to accomplish anything with my arm. I hope you find some answers quickly, I've had my share of surgeries but the loss of strength from nerve damage leaves you helpless mentally.

Sounds like your taking all the right steps, keep us posted on the nerve test. Man, I really sympathize with your condition.

Just finished the EMG nerve test. Let me tell you, that sucked. Nothing more fun than having electrical impulses shot through each nerve in your arm. I swear a couple felt like 110 volts. Just when you think it canít get much worse, the dr had me flex each muscle in each arm as he stuck a very large needle into/under each muscle to take readings. Pretty sure the worst was the muscles in my hand. Add having your skin dripping wet with alcohol and the burn sets in.

Misery.

But, good news was that all the tests were normal. I have one more MRI of the brachial plexus. The Doc seems to think I just have slept on it wrong for too long and inflamed or stretched the nerve and hopefully since itís continuing to get better it will heal on its own in a few more weeks.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:32 PM   #26
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Great news

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2022, 06:21 AM   #27
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Looking for some help reloading for a 300prc and mounting a scope. Picked up the gun a couple days ago and need to mount a NF nx8 on it, fire form 100 brass, and work a hunting load up. I have all components for reloading (brass, primers, powder, projectiles, neck sizer, seating die, mandrel). I donít have a press, trimmer, powder dispenser, etc. I have a friend that is awesome at reloading (prs shooter) but he doesnít have time in the next 2-3 weeks and I leave to Alaska (hopefully) on Sep 6. Should have had my gun back a month ago but there was an issue with the stock and manners had to rebuild one for me. I could use his equipment but canít for two reasons the first is that I donít have the experience needed really and not comfortable taking on the task. The second is I developed a nerve issue in my left arm on Saturday that has left me with about 70% loss of usage in my arm. Spent this week doing CT scan, EKG, MRI, etc. with no answers from those tests. I have a nerve test next Tuesday to check nerve impulses to hope and see where the issue lies. Doc keeps throwing out multiple sclerosis as a higher probability. Hope to dodge that bullet. We will see. At least I can kind of move it today and lift my elbow level with my shoulder. Had no use at all Saturday.

Anywho, thought Iíd ask and see if anyone could help. If not, Iíll leave it in the safe if I go to Alaska and bang away at caribou with my 270. Iím willing to pay someone for their time to compensate for the trouble.

Iím in Tomball, if you bring your stuff I have everything set up and we can do what you need. Just PM me if youíre interested.

canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top