Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainwater - Safe to drink?

Sounds dumb. I think it's still safe.

But I guess people are starting to think it's not safe to drink. So does the ground filter out this stuff?

"“Based on the latest US guidelines for PFOA in drinking water, rainwater everywhere would be judged unsafe to drink,” he says."

As with most news articles, facts can be distorted. Not an expert on PFAS/PFOS but been in the environmental profession for 30 years and here is my take. A sample of STRAIGHT RAINWATER would be over the US drinking water standard for MULTIPLE things, not just PFOS. That's why we treat surface water before we distribute it to people. As with other contaminants, we use treatment technologies to remove them to provide safer drinking water.

Now I'm not saying that PFOS are harmless, we just need to use good judgement and proper risk management as with all chemicals. They have been shown to cause cancer in elevated concentrations and the reason they are on EPA's list is because they do not readily breakdown in the environment, hence the name "forever chemicals". A lot like DDT. Again common sense approaches work best BUT common sense doesn't sell ads on TV or newsprint so it's easier to scream "Forever Chemicals" when they are mentioned. Also the current administration's EPA appointees are somewhat lacking in the common sense department as well.

As far as individual groundwater wells, soil/rock/etc. are a great filtration for most contaminants. As long as a well is properly constructed and there is no major source of the chemical being directly discharged into the aquifer you are pulling from, PFAS should not be an issue. If PFAS are detected, there are standard filtration type treatment systems available which can remove them (and other contaminants). I attached a link to a quick fact sheet for well owners about PFAS. Sorry for the lengthy response but hope info is helpful.

Comment

Most people would drink out for a cow pond, if there isn’t an other water, water is worth more then oil when you don’t have any

Comment

River R what’s your thinking about that Radon hill your living on top of?

Comment

The gov is telling you to get the monkeypox vaccine too

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
            As with most news articles, facts can be distorted. Not an expert on PFAS/PFOS but been in the environmental profession for 30 years and here is my take. A sample of STRAIGHT RAINWATER would be over the US drinking water standard for MULTIPLE things, not just PFOS. That's why we treat surface water before we distribute it to people. As with other contaminants, we use treatment technologies to remove them to provide safer drinking water.

Now I'm not saying that PFOS are harmless, we just need to use good judgement and proper risk management as with all chemicals. They have been shown to cause cancer in elevated concentrations and the reason they are on EPA's list is because they do not readily breakdown in the environment, hence the name "forever chemicals". A lot like DDT. Again common sense approaches work best BUT common sense doesn't sell ads on TV or newsprint so it's easier to scream "Forever Chemicals" when they are mentioned. Also the current administration's EPA appointees are somewhat lacking in the common sense department as well.

As far as individual groundwater wells, soil/rock/etc. are a great filtration for most contaminants. As long as a well is properly constructed and there is no major source of the chemical being directly discharged into the aquifer you are pulling from, PFAS should not be an issue. If PFAS are detected, there are standard filtration type treatment systems available which can remove them (and other contaminants). I attached a link to a quick fact sheet for well owners about PFAS. Sorry for the lengthy response but hope info is helpful.

https://www.ngwa.org/docs/default-so...rsn=e54b7602_2
            When you say “straight rainwater” are you referring to rain runoff, ie has come in contact with some surface or rain collected directly from the sky into some for of storage containment?

Comment

Their coming for the rainwater next

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                Their coming for the rainwater next

RIP rainwater RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm sure it's ok, I use to fish in Canada in the middle of nowhere and we would dip a tin cup into the lake and drink it all the time with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X