Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ATV mechanics? 2004 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ATV mechanics? 2004 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 - help!

Kind of desperate here...been trying to search the web, but not coming up with much. Trying to get this thing ready for Colorado!

The threads on the choke plunger going into the carb are stripped. Looking around I've seen many folks replacing the cabled choke with just a pull choke - I'm all for this (if you all think it's a good idea). My problem is, I've not confirmed the right part to order (I've found them for Arctic Cat, King Quad, etc) - I've seen suggestions for the Mukini pull knob choke, but I don't know how to determine the right one.

Would a loose choke into the carb possibly cause a vacuum leak, bogging and backfiring issues?

The rest of the story....got the ATV from my dad and it had "carb" issues. It starts, idles ok, but with throttle it bogs down and backfires...no power. Cleaned carb, checked air, replaced fuel line, checked petcock and it seems to be clean and working...no change. Yesterday, I adjusted the float and had some improvement....I could throttle up with it in neutral and get pretty high rpms, but only if I eased into the throttle. If I push throttle quickly, it still bogs and backfires and also does it if I try to drive. The thing is, the float is now adjusted almost all the way "rich", but still running lean, it seems. Or maybe I'm totally confused!

Anyone have any suggestions?? Especially on the choke...really want to get that replaced ASAP to make sure I'm not chasing my tail.

Funny, I am pretty sure I had this exact year model and it developed a carb issue. It is sitting over in the bushes now.

Comment

Can't help you with the Suzuki but with my Honda I would also check valve stem clearance.

Comment

I have a 400 Suzuki quadrunner with the same stripped threads on the choke. It still sorta screws in and works though. Biggest problem I ran into was the only fuel filter is a screen in the gas tank that was clogged up.

Comment

Same here as what ETM just said…I started running av fuel and it helped a lot. I was very close to replacing carb but ended up giving to a buddy. Not sure if it’s still running, I’ll have to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My Kawasaki prairie had the same issue after I cleaned the carb. Turns out I had accidentally switched the two jets inside the float bowl. They had different size holes and I had the large jet in the wrong spot. It was supplying too much fuel and caused it to bog. I switch them back and it helped a bunch. You can spray a small about of crab cleaner around the carb when it’s running if there is a vacuum leak it will smooth out how it’s running.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisB View Post
              I have a 400 Suzuki quadrunner with the same stripped threads on the choke. It still sorta screws in and works though. Biggest problem I ran into was the only fuel filter is a screen in the gas tank that was clogged up.
              Yeah, I checked that...and added an inline filter too.

Originally posted by TxAgBowHntr View Post
              Same here as what ETM just said…I started running av fuel and it helped a lot. I was very close to replacing carb but ended up giving to a buddy. Not sure if it’s still running, I’ll have to ask.

hmm, may check into that.

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
              My Kawasaki prairie had the same issue after I cleaned the carb. Turns out I had accidentally switched the two jets inside the float bowl. They had different size holes and I had the large jet in the wrong spot. It was supplying too much fuel and caused it to bog. I switch them back and it helped a bunch. You can spray a small about of crab cleaner around the carb when it’s running if there is a vacuum leak it will smooth out how it’s running.
              I've seen folks mention this about the jets...may give it a try. When I cleaned the jets, I only took one out at a time so I wouldn't switch them, but could have been done previously.

Yes, will definitely try the leak test with the carb cleaner...thanks. The choke is VERY loose going into the carb...I can get it somewhat tightened, but it seems that it couldn't be staying in the right place while riding, even if this isn't my main issue.

Comment

Found this on Amazon. Shows 10 in stock
                Click image for larger version

Name:	A366FD03-C85D-40A9-BA00-9002F31848DE.png
Views:	1
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	24688279

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                  Funny, I am pretty sure I had this exact year model and it developed a carb issue. It is sitting over in the bushes now.

Wanna sell?

Comment

Before I spent much time repairing, price a carb.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
                      Found this on Amazon. Shows 10 in stock
                      [ATTACH]1097231[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks. Yeah I actually found that too this afternoon and probably what I will get. Was really thinking I’d get rid of the cable choke and try to find a pull choke right out of the carb.

Comment

I am working on a buddy's Honda 350 that had similar symptoms. The compression was a little low and turned out the decompression idler on the cam was shattered. Did all kinds of damage in the case. I have it exploded at the moment.

Have someone do a compression test on it first if possible. Take carb off and do a deep clean. And check the intake, between carb and head, for cracks/leaks.

Good luck.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                          Wanna sell?

Beat me, 2nd in line

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Check the air fuel mixture screw, probaly need to adjust it

Comment

I replaced my Carb on my 400 eiger for like $45 why mess with rebuilding just replace it they are all over the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X