Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who don’t feed corn year-round…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who don’t feed corn year-round…

…will you start feeding earlier this year due to the drought? When will you start feeding? In the past I usually started around mid to late August but I’m thinking about starting earlier this year.

Thoughts?

With the price of corn I’ll be lucky to feed at all!

Comment

I will probably feed later with these corn prices!

Comment

I fed earlier. Figure they're hungry on surrounding properties so though it would draw more in. Water and food. Seems to be working. Not cheap though.

Comment

I hunt in the hill country and east Tx. I dont feed unless im in the stand and its always been productive in the 12-13 years i have been doing it that way.

Comment

Had the feeder going since January 2010. Added a gravity with 50/50 corn/protein back in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
              Had the feeder going since January 2010. Added a gravity with 50/50 corn/protein back in 2017.
              Then this thread isn’t for you.

Comment

The deer need food here…

Comment

Been feeding all year, just not as much. I make sure I have water for them though.

Comment

I start in June/July through end of season. I've seen zero difference between feeding year around and just half the year on our place when it comes to corn. I felt like it was a waste of money so I just start in June/July now. I also start sweet feed in a trough in the summer and the bucks develop a summer feeding pattern on the sweet feed that carries into the first couple of weeks of bow season. I have bucks on that who won't touch the corn feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      I hunt in the hill country and east Tx. I dont feed unless im in the stand and its always been productive in the 12-13 years i have been doing it that way.
                      Your just bragging

Comment

i feed year round, but dang these corn prices have gotten high!

Comment

Usually start around first of Sept. I can see them from the house working on berry vines, honeysuckle, and various other things. Neighbors on both sides have large ponds and I've got 4 spring-fed creeks that are still running. Like most, I've been watering the yard, and most evenings there'll be 6-8 out grazing in the front yard.
                          I quit feeders several years ago as they were just magnets for pigs. Now I might see 1-2 a year come through. One neighbor still has feeders and fights hogs year round.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                            I start in June/July through end of season. I've seen zero difference between feeding year around and just half the year on our place when it comes to corn. I felt like it was a waste of money so I just start in June/July now. I also start sweet feed in a trough in the summer and the bucks develop a summer feeding pattern on the sweet feed that carries into the first couple of weeks of bow season. I have bucks on that who won't touch the corn feeder.
                            I’ve not noticed a difference either. However, a neighbor feeds A LOT and I feel like I need to compete w him for the same deer. Thanks for the tip on the sweet feed

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              I fed earlier. Figure they're hungry on surrounding properties so though it would draw more in. Water and food. Seems to be working. Not cheap though.
                              No not cheap at all!

Comment

Working...
                              X