Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat maintenance questions

Hey guys!

Finally bought myself my first boat and I want to make sure I keep up proper maintenance on it. I just had it completely serviced and got all sparks plugs, pumps changed, oil changed and all that.

Aside from making sure to use as frequent as possible, what are some things you guys have learned to do for your rides over the years to keep it in top condition? Fuel stabilizer additives? Type of gasoline you prefer? Any tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated!

2 or 4 stroke. In run a 4 stroke exclusively in salt enough that the gas doesn't sour. New impellor and/or waterpump kit yearly with lu grease inspection. Keep anodes fresh. Oil changes and check behind prop for fishing line. Grease prop shaft. Flush after every useThat's all I do.

Comment

Ethanol fuel only if you can. Otherwise water pump and lower unit oil changes every two years or so. What type of motor? 2 stroke or 4? Get a 24/7 smart charger for batteries.

Don't forget trailer maintenance. Greased bearings, bunk boards, tire pressure at max allowed by tire, safety chain to bow eye etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
        Ethanol fuel only if you can. Otherwise water pump and lower unit oil changes every two years or so. What type of motor? 2 stroke or 4? Get a 24/7 smart charger for batteries.

Don't forget trailer maintenance. Greased bearings, bunk boards, tire pressure at max allowed by tire, safety chain to bow eye etc.
        To add onto this, so many people forget to rinse their trailer, if used in the salt. It can be as simple as spraying down the hubs, axles and rims then placing a water sprinkler underneath and let it go for 30 minutes. This will add years to your trailer and components.

Comment

4 stroke. 2017 150 hp Yamaha sho

Comment

FWIW...I have same motor. I got conflicting stories about how to flush mine after running saltwater regarding running it or not. Ive done both but had mechanics from dealer to the guy down the road say different things. I pretty much flush from hose connection on the side, then ears on the bottom then run saltaway from hose connection. Engine off.

I wash the entire thing top to bottom. Oil, lower unit and filter changes are done pretty easy in the yard

Comment

Ethanol free fuel only, wash and flush motor after each use.

If you have access to a freshwater lake, drop it in after your saltwater trip and run all the live wells and pumps to get the salt out of them. The freshwater is good for the trailer too.

Comment

Good advice above

I take off my couling and spray the entire motor with corrosion X or fluid film to keep everything looking brand new and corrosion free

Comment

good advice above...flush and rinse in salt...I'm not a fan of a lot of those additives unless you get bad fuel or it sits a while.

Reduce sun exposure and try to clean/rinse the deck in the offseason so the dust and bugs don't settle in and make a mess.

Trickle charge batteries if possible, on board charger a big plus.

Grease those trailer hubs and winch each spring.

Good luck!

ac

Comment

I've got a cheap electric pressure washer that works great for spraying off the trailer and boat if I can't find a car wash. Water hose works, just takes longer to get everything good and clean. I keep a cover on my boat even though it's just a jon. Keeps all the leaves and mess out and helps keep the paint from fading.

Comment

I'll second a corrosion inhibitor if you run salty. Or even if you don't do salt, It won't hurt! I use Corrosion-x and have a 1988 model, used exclusively in salt. Used a corrosion inhibitoe from the start. Mainly corrosion X, and the engine still looks almost new.Never owned a 4 stroke so I've no advice there except follow the owners manual recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        To add onto this, so many people forget to rinse their trailer, if used in the salt. It can be as simple as spraying down the hubs, axles and rims then placing a water sprinkler underneath and let it go for 30 minutes. This will add years to your trailer and components.
                        this right here^ learned the hard way. More trailer problems than anything else

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          FWIW...I have same motor. I got conflicting stories about how to flush mine after running saltwater regarding running it or not. Ive done both but had mechanics from dealer to the guy down the road say different things. I pretty much flush from hose connection on the side, then ears on the bottom then run saltaway from hose connection. Engine off.

I wash the entire thing top to bottom. Oil, lower unit and filter changes are done pretty easy in the yard
                          I’ve heard heard the same thing. Guys at the local dealership told me ears are still better but guess it won’t hurt to do both just in case. You don’t keep the engine on in neutral when running the ears? Or you just mean the salt away with engine off?

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                            Ethanol free fuel only, wash and flush motor after each use.

If you have access to a freshwater lake, drop it in after your saltwater trip and run all the live wells and pumps to get the salt out of them. The freshwater is good for the trailer too.
                            Wish we did! But boat will strictly be used in saltwater down here

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post

Thanks for this advice. My dad had a boat a long time ago and don’t think we ever paid an actual attention to washing the trailer itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X