Cheap arrow upgrade???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap arrow upgrade???

I've got a buddy that I allow to hunt my place but I have insisted he step up his arrow game.

(Before the Ashby/RanchFairy haters jump in let me say I'm a true believer so save your breath.)

His current arrow is an Easton bloodline 330 8.7gpi and 100grain Muzzies (he draws 31")

I hate to ask him to drop $400 on a dozen fully spec'd out arrows. Also he really isn't a tinkerer and is going to need a lot of my help.

Here is my thinking:

We make do with the shafts he has and test point weight to see how heavy we can go upfront. Then put on some quality cut on contact fixed two blades and call it a day...

Or, do we need to add weighted inserts, Strip the fletchings bare shaft tune with heavy test point kit until we find what shoots then buy some some quality broadheads?

Easiest is get with muddyfuzzy and get some Spartans ordered

Or get him some axis or Sirius apollos with a total of 175 up front with some Magnus or any other coc head if you wanna go with fixed

Comment

I think, depending on what his draw weight is that he is close to being under spined and adding more weight up front is going to make it more under spined. Probably going to have to get some 300s to add some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cullbuck View Post
        I think, depending on what his draw weight is that he is close to being under spined and adding more weight up front is going to make it more under spined. Probably going to have to get some 300s to add some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I think you're probably right. He's around 70# and very long.

Comment

Vector HMR arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
            I think you're probably right. He's around 70# and very long.
            Doubt he add can much, if any, to the front of 330 spine arrows. My guess is that he could shoot 300s with 125gr broadheads or 250s with 125gr broadheads and weight added to the inserts.

For example, I'm 70 lb and 32.5" (31" arrow) and shoot 250s with 125 gr broadheads and 78 gr insert weight (28 gr insert plus 50 gr weight)

Comment

I'd wager that hes underspined right now with 330s as it is. I'm a 31.5 inch DL @ 72lbs (according to my scale) shooting VAP 250s, full length with 200gr up front and I can't go much heavier without underspining myself.

They make a bloodline in a 240 spine, and its like 34 inches from the factory. You can do the 50-75gr inserts from easton or you can get heavier inserts from ethics. Easton is also making their 6.5mm bowhunters in a 250 spine. They're pretty much the same as the old beman ICS hunters. Victory has the Vforce sports in .006.

Just be aware, the arrow your buddy is current shooting is about to be discontinued. Easton is replacing them with the Sonic 6.0 (its a 6mm/.233 ID/H nock)

One thing I would recommend before you have your buddy jump too far down the rabbit hole... you might wanna go by a pro shop that will work with him on what you're trying to achieve. We used to have guys come in the shop I worked at that dropped 3-$500 on a heavy arrow setup only to figure out that it was going to be so underspined it wouldn't work. The other issue is if the bow is out of spec, cams out of timing, etc, you could find yourself chasing circles.

If you're the one doing the tuning, whichever arrow setup you're thinking of, look into doing a test kit or making your own. Like buying 2 .300 spine, 2 .250 spine, etc. and playing with insert weights. If you hot melt them in you can remove them until you figure out what works if you have a saw.
              Last edited by Kirby86; 07-17-2022, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

How about dropping poundage, bareshafting and front load tinkering with existing shafts?

Maybe not front load but load shafts and increase overall arrow weight and maintain existing inserts and broadheads.

Also, consider some bleeders on those 2 blades COCs if buying new broadheads.

Cheap and upgrade seems contradictory.
                  Good luck MrGunny and Friend.

Comment

The next step will be to test for enough spine. Then we’ll see.

Comment

I don’t see a issue with his current setup. He should be around 400 grains or so

Comment

Working...
                      X