Won't Make AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't Make AR

Doesn't make it for sure, but in a couple of years . . .

Comment

So you’re telling me there’s a chance

Comment

Saw 10 bucks that looked like that last night. Feel like we're running a freaking kindergarten on our lease.

Comment

Just needs one more year and a ton of protein!

Comment

Next year he’s a shooter

Comment

Guadalupe County has a bunch of those genetics. On the west side of Guadalupe County, we had two or three like that. I watched them from the first year they grew antlers till they were 5 years old, even at 5 years old, they were only about 11" to 12" wide but from the side they looked like they were pretty good sized mature deer, body wise they were. Same thing on the south east side of Guadalupe County, but we had a lot more of them over on this side of the county, when we bought our property over here, there were 8 to 10 like that, most of them were 4 years or older, only 11" to maybe 12" wide. But thankfully the neighbors took care of the problems. The first two years we owned this place the neighbors were shooting anything with antlers, they cleaned most of those bucks out. I was afraid we were going to be stuck with those genetics forever, and that those were going to be the dominate genetics in the area.

Good luck with that deal.

Comment

I don't recall the exact year AR went into effect in our neck of the woods, but it doesn't seem like it's been all that long ago. I believe I can already tell the difference in the average bucks we see. A more narrow spread is becoming prevalent IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
                  I don't recall the exact year AR went into effect in our neck of the woods, but it doesn't seem like it's been all that long ago. I believe I can already tell the difference in the average bucks we see. A more narrow spread is becoming prevalent IMO.
                  They need to throw in beam length like some others states do.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                    They need to throw in beam length like some others states do. On my lease I can think of two for sure mature bucks that were never legal. That was a few years ago and the lease next to use has to call the GW to issue warnings for them. We have one currently going on 3 maybe 4 that's a dang nice buck for my lease and I doubt he will ever make AR

Comment

I guess I’m missing something here. It looks like the deers first set of antlers @ 1 1/2 years old. Why the concern? He’s just a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                        what beam length do they use? man, I watch a lot of deer and I'm pretty good at scoring, but beam length can be one of the toughest to nail down, especially when it matters!

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                          what beam length do they use? man, I watch a lot of deer and I'm pretty good at scoring, but beam length can be one of the toughest to nail down, especially when it matters!
                          I know some areas of Mississippi are 13" and some are 15". Some use number of points per side but I don't think that will save very many 2 year old 8s. I thought other states have beam length exceptions too

Comment

But Will he be a ten pointer next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                              I guess I’m missing something here. It looks like the deers first set of antlers @ 1 1/2 years old. Why the concern? He’s just a baby.
                              Yep--just being funny---no concern. Let's wait and see him next year, or the year after. Biggest issue is the large plots around me are being broken up and sold to folks who are putting up feeders---hunting pressure will keep on going up and up.

Comment

Working...
                              X