Some POS shot our orange tabby cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some POS shot our orange tabby cat

Thanksgiving day we found our orange tabby, Phil, laying in the yard with a bullet wound at the top of his back unable to move his back end. With no vets or emergency centers open near us on Thanksgiving day, we laid him in his bed on the back patio under his heat lamp and gave him food and water. Friday morning I went out to get him to carry him to the vet but he was nowhere to be found. I looked under everything that I thought he could crawl under but couldn't find him. We feared he dragged himself into the woods to die. Fast forward to Saturday night as the wife and I are leaving to run to town she spots Phil coming out of a cubby hole next to the house. She stays home with him as I run to Walmart to buy a small kennel so he can spend the night in the house. We brought him to the vet this morning and the x-ray shows his L1 is shattered, leaving his back half paralyzed. His bladder and bowel movements are messed up due to the injury also. The bullet (we are assuming either .17 or .22) passed completely thru leaving 1 small fragment.

The vet said we could put him to sleep or could let him live but it would be an every day thing of squeezing his bladder and giving him an enema every couple days if those functions didn't return to normal and he would be paralyzed for the rest of his life. After talking it over, we decided to let Phil live and help him return to as close to a normal life as possible albeit he will need a wheelchair to get around. Time will tell how he does.....he refused to give up so we're not going to give up on him!

Wow that’s gonna be a tough row to hoe my friend.

Comment

Oh wow. I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm having flashbacks of when my Stryker was shot and killed.

Phil may have a rough life ahead, but I'm sure he will love every day with you both.

fwiw - I hate the way mean people treat animals, especially cats. I don't particularly love cats but I would never dream of deliberately harming them.

Comment

Im sorry to hear that . In my opinion, putting him down is the humane thing to do. He has no quality life left.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Im sorry to hear that . In my opinion, putting him down is the humane thing to do. He has no quality life left.
            I agree. First time you go to give him a enema, you and him will probably wish you would have put him down.

Comment

Sorry to hear. If they can’t control their bowels the best thing for it is euthanasia.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                I agree. First time you go to give him a enema, you and him will probably wish you would have put him down.
                Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                Sorry to hear. If they can’t control their bowels the best thing for it is euthanasia.
                Unfortunately I agree with these men.

Sorry this happened !

Comment

We, somewhat, share the same thoughts but since Phil refused to give up we are going to see what the steroids and antibiotics do for him. Wife and I both agreed if there's no improvement in the next couple of weeks we will bring him back to be put down. He has a follow up appointment on 12/8 with the vet.

Comment

So sorry to hear. If it gets bad, you can go the euthanasia route, until then carry on as you and your family chose. It's hard to undo euthanasia I hear. Animals have an amazing ability to heal! Healthy food and a safe place may be all he needs for awhile. And some Love. Peace, Dozier

Comment

Put him down

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
                        So sorry to hear. If it gets bad, you can go the euthanasia route, until then carry on as you and your family chose. It's hard to undo euthanasia I hear. Animals have an amazing ability to heal! Healthy food and a safe place may be all he needs for awhile. And some Love. Peace, Dozier

My thoughts as well. I’m not a cat guy at all but I hope whoever did this to your pet gets what is coming to him many times over. Sorry PoS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry to hear this about a pet and its a hard decision.
                          I'm in the quality over quantity group.

Comment

Wasn’t gonna say it , but this. He’s got good folks looking out after him whichever way you go.

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
                              Yep, they definitely have some incredible abilities to adjust to what is thrown at them!
                              Oh, nice hound in your avatar also!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X