Frying a turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frying a turkey

I have never fried a turkey before but I now have a big electric turkey fryer and I am looking for a recipe that someone is willing to share. Any tips will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Not sure about the electric, but assuming it’s the same method…

Inject bird with Tony’s creole butter
    Season it well with a Cajun seasoning
    Cook until breast hits 165

Comment

I melt unsalted sweet cream butter in a sauce pan and put in a bunch of garlic powder and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning. While it's still hot, I inject the crap out of the bird all over the place. This helps to bring the bird up closer to room temp so that it doesn't go into the oil so cold. I then dust the bird inside and out with Tony's. Drop in 350F-375F. If you dip a red tipped wood match stick into the oil and it lights, the oil is hot enough. I like to do 13-14lb birds for about 45 minutes. I've cooked as many as 7 birds in like 3.5 hours using two pots. Also, I used to love using peanut oil until somebody decided it was liquid gold. I use Sam's Clear Frying Oil and it is awesome! Good smoke point and with all the seasonings, it's almost impossible to tell the difference. I know it's been said and goes without saying, DO NOT OVERFILL YOUR POT WITH OIL. You'll regret it on many levels if you do.

Comment

Best advice I can give you is make sure you brine the turkey. Makes a world of difference.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Here are my injection recipes as well as my seasoning recipes. To be fair, kd350s way is much easier and still very tasty. Most OTC rubs are way too salty for me, so I use my own recipes.

These recipes are for one bird; make as much as you want and save for later. If dry it's easy, keep with your other spices/rubs; if liquid, most will keep for 6 months refrigerated.

I also have a lemon pepper one if you want, but it is not the favorite by a long shot. I fry about 10 birds a year using these recipes. Any of these will work well in an air fryer.

Butter Injection
          Broth 1 cup
          Unsalted Butter 1/2 cup
          Lemon Juice 1 lemon
          Blck Pepper 1/2 tsp
          White Pepper 1/4 tsp
          Garlic Powder 1 tsp
          Salt (omit if brined) 1/2 tsp
          Combine broth and butter, heat until liquid, add lemon and spices.

Sweet Injection
          Apple Cider 1/2 cup
          Honey 1/2 cup
          Dark Ale 1/2 cup
          Cajun Seasoning (below) 1 tbsp

Combine all and heat to liquid, inject warm.

Butter Jalapeno Injection
          Jalapenos 6-8
          Minced Garlic 2 tbsp
          Butter 2 sticks
          Olive Oil (lard) 1/4 cup
          Red Onion 1/2
          Broth 1 cup
          Spray Butter or Duck fat (binder for rub)
          Add everything but broth, cook down, strain, then add broth and bring to boil.

Cajun Seasoning
          Onion Powder 1 tbsp
          Dried Oregano 2 tsp
          Dried Thyme 1 tsp
          Salt (omit if brined) 2 tsp
          Garlic Powder 2 tsp
          White pepper 3/4 tsp
          Black pepper 3/4 tsp
          Cayenne pepper 1 tsp
          Paprika 1/4 cup
          If using in injection grind to a fine powder and add to butter/liquid base.

Creole Seasoning
          Coarse Salt (omit if brined) 2 tbsp
          Granulated Onion or powder 2 tbsp
          Paprika 2 tbsp
          Dried Oregano 1 tbsp
          Cayenne 1 tbsp
          Garlic Powder 1 tbsp
          Black Pepper 1 tbsp
          Dried Thyme 1.5 tsp
          For injection grind everything into a fine powder and include in butter/liquid base. This is also pretty good with red pepper flakes added or jalapeno powder, reduce Cayenne in recipe by the amount added of red or jalapeno pepper.

Comment

Rat, I love those recipes, thank you for sharing. I actually looked at the ingredient list on the back of the Cajun Injector brand last week and it was pretty horrible, no actual butter, only butter flavor added. Im guessing its some cancer causing nitrates and pepper juice.

Comment

also be careful when you put the bird in the hot oil.

Comment

Timing the cook is good to get you close but keeping track of the internal temp is important to keep from burning it. Internal temperature of breast should be between 165 and 170 degrees. I haven't done any in a few years. Used to clean and inject the night before. Then wrap in foil and let marinate overnight in refrigerator. Next day take out of refrigerator, let come to room temp., coat with mustard then Tony's (or similar) and put in fryer. Good luck

Comment

Just make sure there is no ice or moisture in that turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                    Rat, I love those recipes, thank you for sharing. I actually looked at the ingredient list on the back of the Cajun Injector brand last week and it was pretty horrible, no actual butter, only butter flavor added. Im guessing its some cancer causing nitrates and pepper juice.
                    Yep, typically it is butter powder or "liquid butter" flavoring. Any of these that use butter will need to be injected warm to keep the butter and water mixed as it will separate and it will mix easier (when you shake it) while it is warm. Also, keep the injection needle in the warm liquid, or the butter will harden up in the needle and block it.

Also remember, if your bird is not brined (most are though) then add in the salt, you can make the injection and add the salt later if you get an un-brined bird, or as needed to taste.

I cooked nine birds last Wednesday for work and here are the combinations I used for each:

Butter Injection/Cajun Seasoning: Buttery but not hot.
                    Butter Jalapeno Injection/Creole Seasoning: Buttery and has some heat, not super hot but not mild either.
                    Sweet Injection/Texas Sugar Rub (Meat Church): First time using Texas Sugar while frying, it came out really dark but it wasn't burnt (but it looked like it was). Skin was mildly sweet and the injection was a perfect compliment to that.

I have eight more birds to do on Thursday for family and I will be doing the same combinations.

Comment

no ice moisture dry turkey dry! before put in oil.

Comment

Working...
                      X