Nails creek state park draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nails creek state park draw hunt

Daughter won this hunt in January! Is there anything we need to know about the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a hog hunt at Nails during December 2021.

Saw lots of deer. Shouldn't be a problem for her to get a shot on one, especially a doe.

On the hog hunt we could not drive into the compartments. I had to hand carry corn in a 5 gallon bucket to feed roads. If this same rule applies for your daughter's deer hunt, a game cart will come in handy.

I saw most of the deer slow walking roads that I had corned.

I camped out in the park which worked out. Nice camping area. Looks like you're pretty close though.

Come to think of it...the youth deer hunt overlapped the hog hunt that I was on. The youth deer hunt occurs close to the camping area and park headquarters while the hog hunt was in compartments further out off of county roads. I believe that the kids hunted in blinds. So, the rules that I described above may not apply...

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info! Daughter is pretty excited about it!

Comment

I’ve fished that area several times. See deer everytime and lots of them in the parks. Pretty thick wooded areas in some parts, I bet y’all do good.

I think nearest convenience store is about 15 min drive. Bring some firewood, the state parks don’t have much usually.

Comment

With that side of the lake being dry I'd think the deer are eating on the green stuff growing in my crappie holes

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

This ought to be a good area to hunt. Lots of deer near Lake Somerville.

Comment

My son also drew a tag for Nails Creek. I spoke with the Park Ranger there (a good guy who was very helpful) who manages the youth hunt and got a bit more detail. It's seems really well-planned and they do an excellent job of making it as kid-friendly as they can. I got the vibe that they go out of their way to get kids hooked on hunting. You can bring a pop-up but they have built pallet blinds to use and have them set out year round. The ranger recommended bringing chairs though and some shooting sticks/tripod. No issue to bring your own corn (some SP hunts don't seem to allow this). Dont forget the blaze orange requirement. Although he said they may have some extra at the park if need be. Apparently, they are covered up in hogs so if you don't see any deer, then at least your kid will get some shot opportunities. They have an area earmarked for game cleaning with hoists and gambrels.

It sounds like pretty much every kid leaves with a smile on their face, which to me, is the goal of a youth hunt. Good luck to your daughter!

Comment

This is awesome thank you very much for the information!

Comment

Good luck! I always see deer there when camping.

Comment

We had a great time hunting Nails Creek and my daughter had some success! Abby made a great shot right through the heart on this 100# doe! This was our first time to be drawn for these hunts and we are excited to keep entering as many as we can!

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Awesome! That’s what it is all about.

Comment

Heck yeah! Congrats to her.

If you haven't already, also sign her up for some TYHP.org hunts.

Comment

Congrats! This is definitely what it’s all about. WTG!

Comment

Awesome! Congratulations to her!

Comment

Working...
                              X