Big Lake Bottom WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Lake Bottom WMA

Got drawn for 11/4-11/13. I've never been down there. Any one have any experience and want to share their impressions??

Tagging. I will be there for Dec 2-11

Comment

If I learn anything of value, I'll let you know!

Comment

Likewise!

Comment

I drew the early Sep 30-Oct 9. I’m sure it’s going to be hot and possibly flooded. And no 4wheeler. But I’m not complaining as it’s the first time I’ve drawn anything. Also I will be able to hunt some mid week so hopefully that will help.

If you do a search there are several good threads on here that are not that old. Also there are some videos on YouTube. Going to try and get out and scout a little in the next couple of weeks. I’ll post again after I scout

Comment

Our group got drawn for the 11/4-11/13 also. I have hunted BLB 3-4 times. It’s been enjoyable. Most likely will be camping there. PM me if you got specific questions and I can help answer.

Comment

Anyone know if you can hang some cams before the hunt date ? I know I will ask when I go to scout next week but just seeing if anyone has done that. Thanks

Comment

I also drew 11/4-11/14. I hunted there last year in mid October. I was able to kill a pretty nice 7 point. First bow kill ever! It’s a pretty area with a lot of deer and some quality bucks if you know where to look. Some things to consider, the is virtually no camping facilities. Just a spot to place a tent so bring plenty of water and have a way to charge your electronics. They do have an outlet up at the cleaning station. The area can get flooded and hopefully all of this rain will slow down. If you have an atv or can borrow an atv for this hunt, it would put you at a major advantage over some of the hunters. You need a tree stand to hunt here. So if you have a mobile set up, you are good. If you want to pm I can give you some more details, but I guess I’ll see y’all there! I’m Matt by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskool67 View Post
                  Anyone know if you can hang some cams before the hunt date ? I know I will ask when I go to scout next week but just seeing if anyone has done that. Thanks

Yes, you can hang cams and you are allowed to bait

Comment

I was out there a couple years ago.
                    For me, a 4 wheeler is a must. You can drive a vehicle only to the last gate and it’s a long walk in from there without one. If you plan on tent camping, better set up right at the front of the parking area below the check in station. It’s kinda on a hillside. If In a camper, in the parking area you’re fine.
                    A climber or lock on is what I would prefer.
                    I did all my hunting left of the last gate. There is a power line that goes thru there. Lots of scrapes can be found down the left side. I never could find any acorns but that is what I would look for. There’s also a pretty good creek running thru there. I would walk it and find some crossings and set up accordingly to wind.
                    I came close to some doe but they came in from behind me and when I stood up in my climber and got turned around, I got busted by a 4th doe I never saw when I reached for my bow. I ended up killing a hog but no deer. Only seen one buck and he was chasing a doe. Didn’t get a real good look at him but what I did see, I don’t believe he was legal. I did find some really good rubs, so I know there are some bigguns in there. It’s a big place, almost overwhelming when you can only hunt for 4 or 5 days.

Comment

Originally posted by mattkwebb View Post

Thanks

Comment

Hey Matt, glad you got drawn again! I sent Oldskool an private message. Best of luck but I know you make your own luck.
                        Willie

Comment

This is all great information. Thank y'all much. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to do much scouting before the hunt dates. I'll be hunting from a saddle, so I think I'm good there. Hitting up all my friends for a 4-wheeler loaner.

Maybe I'll see some of you out there!

Comment

Did you put corn out when you hunted there? Wondering if baiting is worth the time or if there's enough natural browsing available to them out there.

Comment

There are NO deer in Fannin county. NONE!
                              Hog doggers done caught all the big pigs.
                              Nuttin up there but a whole passel of my cousins all up and down the river so don't go trespassing.

Comment

Working...
                              X