No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stoked I get another hunt this year! 11/11- 11/15. Got a nice buck last year on first sit then headed to the lease. Plan to hunt the full dates allowed this year. I just moved literally 5 minutes down the road from Section 1

Comment

and you will be scouting the area weekly

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
        and you will be scouting the area weekly
        I can get there on my Ebike in 15min lol

Comment

i drew 12/16/22-12/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            I've stayed there a few times. No issues with thefts. They have a walkin cooler at the check in/processing station.

We stayed there too, will be mostly hunters there. Domino’s and a Stripes within walking distance great on that first night when you’re wiped out. Walmart and HEB close by. Totally worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, the Dominoes pizza is pretty good. Unless I get lucky on the 2nd draw, I've struck out for Nilgai this year. drats.

Comment

Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Originally posted by mgperez View Post

I’m shocked that solid bent that much without breaking. I hunted LANWR for the first time last year.

I stuck 2 cows out there last year and recovered neither. I do NOT recommend mechanicals on em.

It was a 100gr fatal steel. 500gr total arrow weight running in the 290s.

I drew Teniente this year. Debating going up in arrow weight but most definitely going to a COC head.

As to the hunt itself, I put in about 60 miles in 4 days on the E bike. Around this same time last year they got a lot of rain and it made it pretty easy to differentiate fresh sign from older sign. If it wasn’t slimy nilgai scat, I didn’t hunt it.

If your schedule allows, hunt the full time. Some people give up early, and I shot those 2 cows on day 3 and day 4.

It’s a hard hunt but it is a TON of fun! My wife and I stayed in a rent house on Long Island. Cool community!

Comment

Originally posted by Clay89 View Post
                  We got LOWER RIO GRANDE VALLEY NWR - TENIENTE never been to it but we’ll give it hell on the last hunt
                  Hunted there about 4 years ago. Saw a young Nilgai and a couple of average bucks. Couldn't seal the deal. I had several times that I didn't see anything but other hunters walking were through, sometimes in groups while talking and being loud. I guess they were thinking they could actually sling some arrows at something by walking all over the **** place. Who knows if they were successful...more power to them if they were, but it didn't help me by sitting on the trials I took the time to scout.

Comment

Originally posted by CAP View Post
                    Thoughts on Teniente vs Laguna?
                    I've done both. But have pros and cons. Laguna is much larger but also has more hunters. Teniente is much much smaller, but more difficult to get drawn for.

Comment

My group got Laguna December hunt. Pumped for sure!!!

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                        Is there a good place nearby for tent camping or RV camping?
                        I've tent camped a few times at the park on the north side of the refuge near the water. It's a good place to stay in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by acepipeman View Post
                          I've tent camped a few times at the park on the north side of the refuge near the water. It's a good place to stay in my opinion.
                          I just wish they'd let you access the refuge from the park instead of having to drive the entire way around!

Comment

My group drew 11/4-11/8. Looking forward to getting back out there! Haven't drawn the last 2 years

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Comment

See y’all out there!

Comment

Originally posted by mgperez View Post
                                I’d say December for WTD and Jan/Feb for Nilgai I’ve witnessed in other parts of the RGV. The best time to hunt is always “when ya can” though.

I’ll take what I can get, especially for my first time out there. Which hunt were you on when you arrowed that big bull?

Comment

Working...
                                X