Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-Hag 2022 Seg C-

A trip filled with highs and lows.

Thursday I arrived early leaving my house 2am and arriving fairly quickly at 4:10. I originally thought check in was 5am but was corrected and told 7am. I was that guy waiting in line like a Black Friday Academy Clearance type deal. But I wasn’t alone! Perow beat me to the gate by 5-10 minutes so the next 3 hours went by fairly quickly. 6:45 gates opened and we started rolling through. Drove to Sandy and went in 2 miles down the road to the area I wanted to be in. Sat in my truck and while waiting for 9am I had 2 doe and 2 small bucks cross the road. Things started getting real and I was feeling good about this area. 9am came quick and I was off to the tree I selected. 2 weeks earlier I scouted and right before I left to go home I jumped a 140s 10pt and 3 doe here. Good enough for me so I was anxious to get in here and see the woods come to life. 10:40 I was all set and ready to go for Friday morning! Enjoyed the evening shooting bows, riding the EBikes and packing the day pack for an all day sit.

Friday Day 1 of the hunt. Plan was get in the tree and depending on activity I’d rattle mid morning. Well daybreak hit and something told me to tickle the antlers so I did. At 7:01 I put the antlers back in the tree and 7:03 I see the largest framed deer I’ve ever laid eyes on standing 21 yds downwind. Easily 150s and as fast as he appeared he was gone. I tried grunting and rattling again but knew he had to have smelled me and wouldn’t be back. The next 3 hours I spent thinking about that buck. 24-25” Main Beams, tall G2s and G3s and at least 20” wide. Unbelievable start to a 3 day hunt having a Hag giant 20 minutes into the hunt within range. I had one small buck behind me and that was it for the rest of the day. I did get down at lunch due to wind direction being terrible for this set and scouted to my south and a little to my west. Having EBikes was nice and allowed Perow and I to have a large area all to ourselves. Knowing his location I didn’t get but maybe 1000 yds from him. If anything I would maybe help bump a deer and get them moving some. Saturdays wind was forecasted North and Sunday South again so I needed to change things up.

Saturday Day 2 was a brutal start. 20-30 mph north winds and COLD! I gave it until 10am and after no movement I pulled my set. Hauled everything 2 miles back to my truck and decided to go mobile for the evening. Winds were forecasted to drop to around 8-10 mph so the evening looked good. Got situated around 1pm and headed back to a spot that looked good on aerial. Parked my bike and 20 yds in I found a dead pit bull with a collar. Wind was swirling, stench of the dog was all in that area as well as buzzards. Time was ticking fast to get set for the evening so I quickly packed up again and headed more to the road on the west side where I had seen deer bedded riding in early mornings. Found a good cedar tree and sat under it for the rest of that evening. Had a nice bodied buck come through an hour before dark well out of range but not legal. I liked the area and knew exactly where I was coming back for Sundays hunt.

Sunday I was really excited about. Best weather for the entire hunt and felt like it would be a killer day for many. Wind started out of the north and was forecasted to switch at 7-7:30. I took a power nap at an oil pump. At 7am I woke up to it starting up and it was a good thing. Wind was starting to shift so I got ready to make my move. As I was headed in I got a text that Perow stuck a buck. I was pumped and knew it had to be a good one for him to send an arrow. The next couple hundred yards I spent texting and not really paying attention as I was walking. Perow replied to everyone to keep hinting that he was good so I found the trail I wanted to sit off of and picked a tree. Got settled up against an oak, took the antlers and tickled them for a few seconds. Not 1 minute goes by and to my south at 25 yds I see a sapling getting hammered. Get a quick glance at antlers and immediately can tell it’s a really wide buck. I had just ranged the cedar he was near and new he was 25 yds. I drew, he walked to the right and stopped him perfectly in a 2’ wide gap. All I remember is seeing him peeking under the cedar canopy at me and that lighted nock flying. Loud thwack and arrow just stopped. Buck was facing north when I shot and quickly turned south bolting out of there. He stopped 75-80 yds from me and I could see the hit looked really good. Good blood all on his shoulder and seriously thought he was fixing to flop over. He looked around and slowly walked off and disappeared into some cedars. I waited 20 minutes and checked the arrow. Made some calls, text and posted here. Although little penetration of 6-8” I felt good about the shot.

I started taking up the trail slowly and blood was consistent. Good color, air bubbles every other spot, looked like he was draining good. Followed all the way to the cedars which then crossed over to private. No need for me to repeat everything that’s already been said above in last post. I packed my things, went to my truck then went and helped Perow with his buck while we waited for the GW. Pretty awesome experience with a good friend helping him haul his buck out. Huge congrats to you Perow and well done staying put in one spot the entire wknd. Patience paid off!

I did everything I could the next 4 hours to retrieve the buck I shot. I have my opinion on the situation and wish I could have gone further. As a Bowhunter I know this part happens and it’s not my first. I have a lot of respect for any animal. The last thing I want to do is shoot one just for the antlers. This hunt was my first true public hunt outside of the usual private property type hunting I do. It’s been a dream of mine to have an opportunity at a Grayson County buck, no feeder, just trails and natural habitat. I’ve killed multiple big deer on private property but nothing beats a public land buck that you pack in daily hard core hunting. This was a game of chess that I felt confident in by day 3 but the game board was flipped off the table and over!

Hag is for sure a magical place! Thankful for the opportunity and hope to return again one day with bow in hand!
    Attached Files

Comment

Pleasure meeting you and your crew Kurt! Hope to cross paths again soon.

Comment

Anyone have any pictures of this years “monsters”, taken from the segments?
        It was not a good year for horns, from what I’m seeing.

Comment

I want to send out a "Thank you " to all who posted with updates. Thank you!

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
            -Hag 2022 Seg C-

A trip filled with highs and lows.

Thursday I arrived early leaving my house 2am and arriving fairly quickly at 4:10. I originally thought check in was 5am but was corrected and told 7am. I was that guy waiting in line like a Black Friday Academy Clearance type deal. But I wasn’t alone! Perow beat me to the gate by 5-10 minutes so the next 3 hours went by fairly quickly. 6:45 gates opened and we started rolling through. Drove to Sandy and went in 2 miles down the road to the area I wanted to be in. Sat in my truck and while waiting for 9am I had 2 doe and 2 small bucks cross the road. Things started getting real and I was feeling good about this area. 9am came quick and I was off to the tree I selected. 2 weeks earlier I scouted and right before I left to go home I jumped a 140s 10pt and 3 doe here. Good enough for me so I was anxious to get in here and see the woods come to life. 10:40 I was all set and ready to go for Friday morning! Enjoyed the evening shooting bows, riding the EBikes and packing the day pack for an all day sit.

Friday Day 1 of the hunt. Plan was get in the tree and depending on activity I’d rattle mid morning. Well daybreak hit and something told me to tickle the antlers so I did. At 7:01 I put the antlers back in the tree and 7:03 I see the largest framed deer I’ve ever laid eyes on standing 21 yds downwind. Easily 150s and as fast as he appeared he was gone. I tried grunting and rattling again but knew he had to have smelled me and wouldn’t be back. The next 3 hours I spent thinking about that buck. 24-25” Main Beams, tall G2s and G3s and at least 20” wide. Unbelievable start to a 3 day hunt having a Hag giant 20 minutes into the hunt within range. I had one small buck behind me and that was it for the rest of the day. I did get down at lunch due to wind direction being terrible for this set and scouted to my south and a little to my west. Having EBikes was nice and allowed Perow and I to have a large area all to ourselves. Knowing his location I didn’t get but maybe 1000 yds from him. If anything I would maybe help bump a deer and get them moving some. Saturdays wind was forecasted North and Sunday South again so I needed to change things up.

Saturday Day 2 was a brutal start. 20-30 mph north winds and COLD! I gave it until 10am and after no movement I pulled my set. Hauled everything 2 miles back to my truck and decided to go mobile for the evening. Winds were forecasted to drop to around 8-10 mph so the evening looked good. Got situated around 1pm and headed back to a spot that looked good on aerial. Parked my bike and 20 yds in I found a dead pit bull with a collar. Wind was swirling, stench of the dog was all in that area as well as buzzards. Time was ticking fast to get set for the evening so I quickly packed up again and headed more to the road on the west side where I had seen deer bedded riding in early mornings. Found a good cedar tree and sat under it for the rest of that evening. Had a nice bodied buck come through an hour before dark well out of range but not legal. I liked the area and knew exactly where I was coming back for Sundays hunt.

Sunday I was really excited about. Best weather for the entire hunt and felt like it would be a killer day for many. Wind started out of the north and was forecasted to switch at 7-7:30. I took a power nap at an oil pump. At 7am I woke up to it starting up and it was a good thing. Wind was starting to shift so I got ready to make my move. As I was headed in I got a text that Perow stuck a buck. I was pumped and knew it had to be a good one for him to send an arrow. The next couple hundred yards I spent texting and not really paying attention as I was walking. Perow replied to everyone to keep hinting that he was good so I found the trail I wanted to sit off of and picked a tree. Got settled up against an oak, took the antlers and tickled them for a few seconds. Not 1 minute goes by and to my south at 25 yds I see a sapling getting hammered. Get a quick glance at antlers and immediately can tell it’s a really wide buck. I had just ranged the cedar he was near and new he was 25 yds. I drew, he walked to the right and stopped him perfectly in a 2’ wide gap. All I remember is seeing him peeking under the cedar canopy at me and that lighted nock flying. Loud thwack and arrow just stopped. Buck was facing north when I shot and quickly turned south bolting out of there. He stopped 75-80 yds from me and I could see the hit looked really good. Good blood all on his shoulder and seriously thought he was fixing to flop over. He looked around and slowly walked off and disappeared into some cedars. I waited 20 minutes and checked the arrow. Made some calls, text and posted here. Although little penetration of 6-8” I felt good about the shot.

I started taking up the trail slowly and blood was consistent. Good color, air bubbles every other spot, looked like he was draining good. Followed all the way to the cedars which then crossed over to private. No need for me to repeat everything that’s already been said above in last post. I packed my things, went to my truck then went and helped Perow with his buck while we waited for the GW. Pretty awesome experience with a good friend helping him haul his buck out. Huge congrats to you Perow and well done staying put in one spot the entire wknd. Patience paid off!

I did everything I could the next 4 hours to retrieve the buck I shot. I have my opinion on the situation and wish I could have gone further. As a Bowhunter I know this part happens and it’s not my first. I have a lot of respect for any animal. The last thing I want to do is shoot one just for the antlers. This hunt was my first true public hunt outside of the usual private property type hunting I do. It’s been a dream of mine to have an opportunity at a Grayson County buck, no feeder, just trails and natural habitat. I’ve killed multiple big deer on private property but nothing beats a public land buck that you pack in daily hard core hunting. This was a game of chess that I felt confident in by day 3 but the game board was flipped off the table and over!

Hag is for sure a magical place! Thankful for the opportunity and hope to return again one day with bow in hand!
            Looks like a great experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
              As a former Hag border property owner I’ve been put in that position before. (Last year)
              I allowed an H hunter to trail a deer right through the middle of 2 of my sets. After the trail crossed my fence they moved on to the next property. I even allowed them to come back later that day and use a dog. I put myself in the hunters shoes……It might have been the biggest deer he’s ever seen, it would be a hard pill to swallow to be told no. Did it wreck my hunting for a couple days? Probably, but it meant more to that hunter that might not have the resources to have an opportunity at a deer like the H puts out on the reg. It for sure meant more to him than messing up a few days hunting for me. It’s not like he was a poacher. He was well within the legal rights of the law and didn’t do anything wrong.
              I like your logic!

Comment

Originally posted by eliteweldingco View Post
                Anyone have any pictures of this years “monsters”, taken from the segments?
                It was not a good year for horns, from what I’m seeing.
                Qualify of the harvests seems really down the last 3 years, not sure if it’s a decline in the area or just way more novice hunters getting drawn now that the state controls the draw.

Comment

Here's my hunt breakdown. I've already shared most of this real-time but will do recap.

I scouted Tuesday and Wednesday before the hunt. I found a ridge that dumped down into a pond and creek bottom. I hunted between the creek and bottom side of the ridge, swinging in from the south to get to my stand. South winds weren't the best for it but I knew deer could come from the south as well, so I went with it. Friday am a descent buck cruise by half way up the ridge. Later that morning, 2 does came from the thicker stuff to the east and worked up the ridge out of range. Another group of does popped out of the ridge top and traveled the trail half way up the ridge as well. I got down at about 11 and wanted to move my stand about 20-30 yards closer to the trail I had seen most travel on. When I got back out I decided not to move and just stay put. That evening I had a group of hogs work in behind me. Then right at last light a doe and fawn work to me, doe stops at 20 yards, I draw back but can't see. So I don't shoot. BUT if I'd moved my stand closer that morning, I could have shot her with enough light.

Saturday morning comes and it's a good north wind but brutally strong and was not comfortable at all; I was freezing! I'm not sure if it was 7:30am, 8am or what but a doe comes running that same trail along the ridge from east to west with a small buck chasing and they run up the ridge and out of site. A few minutes later a Hag giant (same one Avid Hunter mentioned in previous post) comes chasing as well along the same scent trail which was about 55 yards from my tree. Thinking there could be another buck following that same trail and knowing I couldn't shoot to it from my tree, I lower my bow and run over and setup on the ground to shoot that trail. My thoughts were wait 20-30 minutes and if nothing comes, I'll get back in my tree and probably move it after the morning hunt. 10 minutes goes by and nothing comes down the trail but I hear another buck run in, look over and standing no more than 30 yards from my tree is another nice shooter buck! He wasn't a Hag giant but nice straight 8 or 10 point, good mass, tall, probably 14'' wide or so! He looks around, sees me on the ground, does a head bob for a few minutes and then works off from me to the east. That was a tough one to swallow! I sat back in my tree in defeat. About 10:30am another buck runs up the ridge from the east and then a doe runs down the ridge but I never see the buck again. So after that hunt I moved my stand to the thicker part of the ridge where most of the deer had come from. I sat all day. About 3-4 pm the group of hogs works in on me again. About 5pm a nice buck cruises the top of the ridge north to south but no shot. Right at last light again a doe comes in with 2 fawns; the fawns are jumping around, running circles, etc. Fun to watch. I didn't think it was going to happen but finally the mamma doe moves past some limbs at 20 yards, I draw back, about to pull trigger and she spooks, runs a few feet away, blows for 5 minutes and they eventually work off. Close call but no cigar.

Sunday morning a small buck came in to about 25 yards milling around, hogs came through again and that was it.

It was a fun hunt, I hope I get drawn again soon!

Comment

What was the name of the GW who helped look for the buck that went onto the private property?

Comment

Originally posted by GW2210 View Post
                      What was the name of the GW who helped look for the buck that went onto the private property?
                      I’ll PM you

Comment

My weekend- non hunting. I was working hunter check station.

Arrived @0700 on Thursday, assisted the Hagerman staff with getting hunters checked in. Day was uneventful until check out from 1100 to @1430. Afterwards I went for a walk thru Harris, I saw many deer in the fields, all I saw were does, I thought to myself then- afternoons/evenings would be the best. Supper was homemade pinto beans and cornbread.

Friday am, up at 0330, coffee, smoke and a little throne time. Gate open at 0430, some checked in between then an 0500. Some later, but in general slow day.

Friday PM, late night, guys trailing deer, to no avail. In bed @2100, I was beat. Another supper of homemade pinto beans and cornbread.

Saturday, up at 0330, gate open at 0430, cold day, I froze, and I was sitting in a shop with doors open. Wind was bad, I wouldn't have hunted until the afternoon. I was able to break away and get a hamburger in Pottsboro.

Sunday, best day of the hunt. Again, up at 0330, gate open at 0430, a lot of no-shows, and/or late. Phone was busy mid-day, I'm moving, or I'm out. Best deer day, and I'm sorry I didn't get to check and/or measure all of them. I left out @1300, and saw Perows deer in my rearview mirror.

Through the weekend, I hope that I assisted, helped, and or made you hunt a pleasure- but I enjoyed every freckin minute. It's one thing to hunt Hagerman, it's another experience and interact with the hunters. I look forward to the next hunt.

Comment

You made things go very smooth Doug! Appreciate all the phone work Sunday. Sunday was such a great day all around. Great meeting you!

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                            My weekend- non hunting. I was working hunter check station.

Arrived @0700 on Thursday, assisted the Hagerman staff with getting hunters checked in. Day was uneventful until check out from 1100 to @1430. Afterwards I went for a walk thru Harris, I saw many deer in the fields, all I saw were does, I thought to myself then- afternoons/evenings would be the best. Supper was homemade pinto beans and cornbread.

Friday am, up at 0330, coffee, smoke and a little throne time. Gate open at 0430, some checked in between then an 0500. Some later, but in general slow day.

Friday PM, late night, guys trailing deer, to no avail. In bed @2100, I was beat. Another supper of homemade pinto beans and cornbread.

Saturday, up at 0330, gate open at 0430, cold day, I froze, and I was sitting in a shop with doors open. Wind was bad, I wouldn't have hunted until the afternoon. I was able to break away and get a hamburger in Pottsboro.

Sunday, best day of the hunt. Again, up at 0330, gate open at 0430, a lot of no-shows, and/or late. Phone was busy mid-day, I'm moving, or I'm out. Best deer day, and I'm sorry I didn't get to check and/or measure all of them. I left out @1300, and saw Perows deer in my rearview mirror.

Through the weekend, I hope that I assisted, helped, and or made you hunt a pleasure- but I enjoyed every freckin minute. It's one thing to hunt Hagerman, it's another experience and interact with the hunters. I look forward to the next hunt.
                            You did an awesome job, thank you for helping out!

Comment

Which dude perfect guy was it?

Comment

The one that looks shockingly similar to Antlers86 LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X