No announcement yet.

Anyone regret getting an electric car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend has a Mercedes full electric. Apparently they have some package where you can charge for free at some locations. They try to use that 99% of the time. Their plan is to trade before that expires or it needs batteries. They love it for around town and love swapping cars so it works for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think a lot of folks are in for a rude awakening, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Here’s my question. How does it work out when it comes time to change the battery out and it costs more than the vehicle is worth? I get that you don’t have to buy gas, but electricity isn’t free. I’m not for or against Evs either way, I just don’t think they are as cost effective as people want to believe.

Comment

in 10 years you will see ads. EV for sale 3500. Needs new battery!. I feel if its a commuter car and you get 10-15 years out of the battery you did well. If you try and use it for travel you will not like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            That’s pocket change and if that’s the only major repair on a almost 10 year old vehicle, that’s great. Wait until you need/must replace the battery on a electric vehicle. A friend who has a 2012 Tesla Model S had to replace his battery last year. $14,000 for the base battery and was offered the extended range battery for $20k.

Having said that, I can see them being a great option for those commuting less than 100 miles/day with the fundamental understanding that their not “Green” modes of transportation.
            That's what I was going to say. And infinity isn't exactly the cheapest car to maintain

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
              in 10 years you will see ads. EV for sale 3500. Needs new battery!. I feel if its a commuter car and you get 10-15 years out of the battery you did well. If you try and use it for travel you will not like it.
              They claim it saves money. Fuel. Oil changes. Etc.

You still have tires and those cars are heavy so they’ll wear out faster. Suspension. Etc. I can change a lot of oil and belts etc for what ONE battery change costs.

I’m biased. I run a natural gas plant

Comment

I’m not for or against them, I just know I don’t want one. There was just an article (I forget where I saw it) that said an ev has to on the road for 60k miles before the carbon foot print starts to be better than a gas vehicle because of the manufacturing and the fact that all the parts for said ev get shipped on planes, trains, and automobiles.

Comment

I don’t think most folks are going to admit their regrets.
                  There are 1 year old sxs and campers and boats in the classifieds all the time and even they would admit to regretting that purchase.

Comment

I’ve seen 60 or more Vehicle’s at Bucces at one time getting gas. If they go green, what’s the wait time gonna be at the charging stations with 60 or more there at one time? But you’ll see there over priced crap get even more expensive cause that’ll mean a ton more people will be inside spending their money while they wait….

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                      I’ve seen 60 or more Vehicle’s at Bucces at one time getting gas. If they go green, what’s the wait time gonna be at the charging stations with 60 or more there at one time? But you’ll see there over priced crap get even more expensive cause that’ll mean a ton more people will be inside spending their money while they wait….
                      Only communists don’t like Bucees!

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                        I have a hybrid electric with a 50ish mile range and plug in at work. With 35K miles on it now, only about 2000 are gas as I almost never run out. I charge only at home each night and with solar, I'm "free and clean" other than when the ICE kicks in and the ICE maintenance which is a VERY long interval...

That said, I had a new all-electric on order and cancelled. Contrary to everyone's belief, EVs are not ready for prime time. Until solar is on every roof and it's more than 20% efficient, EV is still very dirty and ridiculously expensive. You are only pushing the pollution upstream somewhere and the electric grid isn't even close to capable of providing everyone a charge.

From a cost perspective, the math won't work out in your favor if you are honest in your calculations especially if you pay to use charging stations. As others have mentioned the battery will eventually fail and when it does, $$$$ to replace unless there is some kind of miracle technology discovery.

I also believe that people are overlooking hydrogen fuel cell. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT going away.

Here is the list of companies releasing a HYDROGEN FUEL CELL SEMI within a year:

Toyota
                        Volvo
                        International
                        Hyundai
                        Kenworth
                        Hyzon
                        Nikloa
                        ... And others

Refueling will take just moments. Just like diesel. Refueling stations will end up at every truck stop in America along all the major freeway interchanges. That means a rapidly growing network of places to refuel your car for any trip. Look at how the technology works and you'll find that the systems will provide a much more realistic alternative to petrol from both a performance and green perspective.
                        Thank you for a clear and well stated opinion.
                        Mine was going to be rant !

BP

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                          Oh Lordy. This is like bringing up high fence deer hunting

Oooh don’t get me started daggumit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                            Hopefully I won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            I don't see how.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                              Questions I have.
                              What's the truth on the supply of lithium and cobalt and other minerals?
                              How green is mining for those?
                              Electric generation capacity to support the mandates?
                              Truth about the Electric grid and infrastructure handling the mandates?
                              The people pushing green energy and EV’s are not stupid, they are evil indeed. They know full well you can’t have the major of civilizations power produced by wind and solar and then have mandates for EV’s for most people. It won’t work, it will never work and they know it. So why do it and like evil people have been doing for ever…..they want to control us.
                              There is absolutely no other plausible reason for all this stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                                If I got one, I’d charge it with my generator so I don’t have to pay those steep electric prices.
                                Haha, probably would be cheaper to get a whole home generator that runs on NG and do just that.

J

Comment

Working...
                                X