No announcement yet.

Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got Nanny Stringfellow hog in February and RC - Trinity hog in April. The April hunt is the last in the string so I may pass on that one. I've never been to stringfellow and it's a 5.5 hour drive but I expect I'll make the trip for grins if nothing else. Think I'll take the gun this time and use the bow on a follow up if I'm successful. Any info on Stringfellow would be appreciated.

Comment

I ended up not paying for my permit for the Hag hog hunt in March. Had some other things come up and made the choice to let that one go to someone else. Here's to next years draws!

Comment

Has anyone hunted the RGV Schaleben location? I got drawn for the first week of Jan Archery Whitetail hunt and was hoping to get some insight on the vegetation that time of year. I know the grass can get tall but was wondering if it was still as bad in the winter time.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
          I've got Nanny Stringfellow hog in February and RC - Trinity hog in April. The April hunt is the last in the string so I may pass on that one. I've never been to stringfellow and it's a 5.5 hour drive but I expect I'll make the trip for grins if nothing else. Think I'll take the gun this time and use the bow on a follow up if I'm successful. Any info on Stringfellow would be appreciated.
          Went there last year for the exact same hunt. ATV is not necessary but highly recommended, even it will have a good chance of getting stuck. Bring good mud boots that won't pull off of you and clothes you don't mind getting completely ruined in mud. Have I mentioned the mud out there? It was cold when we went so the mosquitos were not bad but I know those areas can get brutal down there. Yeah, bring corn, a gun, be mud equipped. We stayed at a VRBO house near Sargent on a waterway and fished while we weren't hunting. Good luck!

Comment

One more thing, a lot of hunters bring their hogs up to they cleaning area and give them away to other hunters that were not successful. If you want to fill your coolers then you could do that and still hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
              Went there last year for the exact same hunt. ATV is not necessary but highly recommended, even it will have a good chance of getting stuck. Bring good mud boots that won't pull off of you and clothes you don't mind getting completely ruined in mud. Have I mentioned the mud out there? It was cold when we went so the mosquitos were not bad but I know those areas can get brutal down there. Yeah, bring corn, a gun, be mud equipped. We stayed at a VRBO house near Sargent on a waterway and fished while we weren't hunting. Good luck!
              Thanks C-dubyah. The rules say they will assign compartments based on whether you have an ATV or not. Is that your experience? I have rented one in the past when I hunted big lake bottoms. I'm thinking I won't bring one this time as the cost would be pretty high (in the past I could rent on Friday and return Monday morning and only be charged 1 day).

Comment

Yeah, they have compartments that you can walk to. They will take care of you if you dont have an ATV available. I would not worry about it.

Comment

When the heck are they drawing this bighorn tag?!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    When the heck are they drawing this bighorn tag?!
                    Post #1661

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                      Post #1661
                      Excellent. I overlooked it. Thank you

Comment

I'm so excited! I got pending second draw on desert bighorn. Now, if I can only figure who got that draw and take them out before they accept...

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                            I'm so excited! I got pending second draw on desert bighorn. Now, if I can only figure who got that draw and take them out before they accept...
                            Wasn’t me. I’m pending as usual

Comment

Originally posted by lonestartiger01 View Post
                              Such a waste of money
                              Whoa!

Comment

went 1/10 this year. Got Las Palomas for javelina on 2nd draw

Comment

Working...
                                X