Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Chew is on to something here.

Why not pursue more of a leadership role leveraging your military experience rather than being a wounded wrench turner?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      Best advice I can offer....quit living life through the past. Don't let veteran or disabled veteran be the lens through which you live your life. We have too many "professional Veterans" walking around looking in the rearview mirror and not looking through the windshield. If you need a job, do the job. Expect to be treated like everyone else. Not special because you served. Model yourself after the WW2 vets that came home, STFU, and went to work. Veteran is cool (I'm one), but it's not what I am. It's part of what I am. Leave all the vet gear and vet beard and vet talk at home and go to work and be a part of the future while reflecting on the lessons learned of the past. Not saying all this applies to you, but if it does, that's my 2 cents. Best of luck with your job.

This. Too many people think they’re owed something because they served. Take the uniform off. You’re a civilian now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Best advice I can offer....quit living life through the past. Don't let veteran or disabled veteran be the lens through which you live your life. We have too many "professional Veterans" walking around looking in the rearview mirror and not looking through the windshield. If you need a job, do the job. Expect to be treated like everyone else. Not special because you served. Model yourself after the WW2 vets that came home, STFU, and went to work. Veteran is cool (I'm one), but it's not what I am. It's part of what I am. Leave all the vet gear and vet beard and vet talk at home and go to work and be a part of the future while reflecting on the lessons learned of the past. Not saying all this applies to you, but if it does, that's my 2 cents. Best of luck with your job.
        Amen brother. I have the utmost respect for y’all that served.

But you hired to do a job now. If you are unable to do that job, then that is on you. Looking to sue is chicken ****. But I wish you the best of luck all around.

Comment

Glad this was from another veteran. Spot on

Comment

Only a veteran could say it, but it needed saying so badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
              So here is the deal. I was injured in the military, told them when I interviewed for the maintenance position of my condition. They still hired me and fast forward to a month ago I injured myself again and the doc I went to recommended I get away from maintenance. I'm worried they may let me go because of it. My question is, being a protected disabled veteran, can they legally do that or do I have a case?
              1. What is a "protected veteran"?

2.How did you injure yourself in the military?

3. Are you on full disability through the veterans?

4. How bad is your current injury and how did you do it?

5. Are you worried that they may fire you because you injured yourself on the job?

Comment

Ya they can fire you. They should have workers comp if it’s a big company but if they doc is saying you aren’t progressing enough to return to work you’re medically separated. You’re not a protected disability so you either tell that doc you’re good to go feel 100 percent hoorah let’s kick *** and work or you really medically can’t do the job and you find a job that fits your physical capabilities. Good luck

Comment

Sorry to hear of your injuries and hope you get better soon. In my working life I seen a hand full of folks that thought they could sue the company we worked for or the company should provide them a job. Most found out the hard way they are just a number in the big scheme of things. It never worked out for these individuals whether some were injured some were not. In some cases investigators were deployed by the company and had pictures of them doing activities against their per say restrictions. I don’t blame the company in these instances mentioned. I have always said it’s always better to work accident problems inside the gate rather than outside the gate. You can’t fight corporate lawyers in most cases from my experiences.
                  Last edited by tps7742; 11-19-2022, 04:44 AM.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback gentlemen, my intentions were not to sue them, I was only seeking advice because it was brought up to me by a fellow veteran I work with. I have never been the person to seek legal action. I was merely trying to see if that should be something I should consider. I never knew anything about protected veteran but my coworker showed me that it is a real thing. My plan is to show them that I am still worth the investment so that they possibly find something else for me to do. Thank you all for the words of wisdom and God Bless brothers.

Comment

Chase, we all certainly appreciate your military service and wish you well.

Sill, can you explain what your understanding is of a "protected disabled veteran?" I have not heard that term before. Were you wounded in combat?

How did you injure yourself at work? Is it a permanent injury? Is workmen's comp not paying?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

Sill, can you explain what your understanding is of a "protected disabled veteran?" I have not heard that term before. Were you wounded in combat?

How did you injure yourself at work? Is it a permanent injury? Is workmen's comp not paying?
                        I was injured down range and have ptsd. I get a pension from the VA. I was told that there is a protection for disabled veterans that were wounded during combat and collect a disability pension that they can't fire or let you go because of the injury increasing/getting worse, etc. Again this is what I was told which is why I was trying to clarify.

They did not file workman comp because it was a prior injury that was reaggravated. The injury was my back, I was working on a conveyor belt and it locked up on me. I have a hairline fracture in one vertebrae and a tear in one disk.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

I am a vet and have managed people for a large corporation for 25 years and I had to look it up. I had never heard of it but think it only applies if the company has federal contracts. It's not only for Vietnam vets

What Is VEVRAA?
                          The Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (VEVRAA) has two major functions. VEVRAA requires employers who do business with the federal government to “take steps to recruit, hire, and promote protected Veterans.” The law also makes it illegal for said companies to “discriminate against protected Veterans when making employment decisions on hiring, firing, pay, benefits, job assignments, promotions, layoffs, training, and other employment-related activities.”

Comment

Always file workers comp and let the carrier decide if they approve or deny it. Sorry they didn’t file it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                              I appreciate the feedback gentlemen, my intentions were not to sue them, I was only seeking advice because it was brought up to me by a fellow veteran I work with. I have never been the person to seek legal action. I was merely trying to see if that should be something I should consider. I never knew anything about protected veteran but my coworker showed me that it is a real thing. My plan is to show them that I am still worth the investment so that they possibly find something else for me to do. Thank you all for the words of wisdom and God Bless brothers.
                              I have a non veteran buddy from college that lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. Prior to accident, he was running several crews doing installs for the company. After accident, the company made a position for him to work up project bids and estimations. He is a smart and amiable fellow.

Sometimes it works out. Sometimes not.
                              God bless and good luck MrBlessed.

Comment

Just an FYI, with with OSHA and the Texas Workers Comp Commission an injury at work, even it was an aggravation of a previous injury is compensable. Note that I am not an attorney although over the years I have represented my employer in several contested workers compensation claims. The employee has won every time, even when I have had a professional private investigator testify in the benefit review hearings. Just saying......

Comment

Working...
                                X