No announcement yet.

Gun Appraisals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a beautiful Colt and one of the cleanest ones that I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by roberts View Post
      That is a beautiful Colt and one of the cleanest ones that I have ever seen.

Thank you sir, it has very little wear and was taken care of, blessed to have it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If that hasn’t been refinished that’s one of the cleanest I have seen. Call colt and get a letter for it. $150. That greatly increases the value of its all original. If it hasn’t been refinished you’re looking at $5-7k in my opinion. I don’t much case color. Trigger looks a little different. But the rest looks amazing. I would not shoot it. You can’t even see a turn line on the cylinder which is why I’m wondering about a refinish. Awesome gun either way!!

Comment

The stampings on the printing looks fairly sharp, but the prancing pony is however light...I would compare pics to those online.

If that gun was indeed refinished, it would be new carry gun at the ranch!!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            If that hasn’t been refinished that’s one of the cleanest I have seen. Call colt and get a letter for it. $150. That greatly increases the value of its all original. If it hasn’t been refinished you’re looking at $5-7k in my opinion. I don’t much case color. Trigger looks a little different. But the rest looks amazing. I would not shoot it. You can’t even see a turn line on the cylinder which is why I’m wondering about a refinish. Awesome gun either way!!

I’m not exactly sure if it has been refinished or not, but it’s very possible, function wise though it is super tight, I will have to ask my Dad if he knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              The stampings on the printing looks fairly sharp, but the prancing pony is however light...I would compare pics to those online.

That’s what caught my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

Definitely not an expert but the handful of old SAAs I’ve seen all had light prancing ponies. I can make out some rotation marks on the cylinder, I’d bet they’re more visible in person. Beautiful gun either way.

Would be a bonus to have a newspaper clipping to go along with your story and the X on the gun. that is definitely something worth looking into.

Comment

I’m going to contact Colt and get the letter from them

Comment

Nice gun and thanks for sharing. Made me pull out a copy of my old reference books for comparison!

Trigger looks right to me for an early, non-Bisley post-blackpowder SAA, but maybe I’m missing something.

It’s hard to tell from those pics if it’s been refinished, and although a faint, encircled rampant colt isn’t uncommon for this period, it’s usually the circle that’s faint and not the actual figure of the Colt. To me, some of the corners also seem a little rounded (indicative of buffing before a refinish), particularly in front of the cylinder below the top strap and the trigger guard. But that could be the result of the angle of the picture.

Also, it’s seems a relatively nice uniform blue for a gun that should’ve been vibrantly case colored. Of course, case colors can fade and easily wash out in pictures.

Nonetheless, great colt. I agree on at least 7k for a nonrefinish, if not even higher for insurance purposes. If refinished, it’s still worth several thousand!

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
                      Nice gun and thanks for sharing. Made me pull out a copy of my old reference books for comparison!

Trigger looks right to me for an early, non-Bisley post-blackpowder SAA, but maybe I’m missing something.

It’s hard to tell from those pics if it’s been refinished, and although a faint, encircled rampant colt isn’t uncommon for this period, it’s usually the circle that’s faint and not the actual figure of the Colt. To me, some of the corners also seem a little rounded (indicative of buffing before a refinish), particularly in front of the cylinder below the top strap and the trigger guard. But that could be the result of the angle of the picture.

Also, it’s seems a relatively nice uniform blue for a gun that should’ve been vibrantly case colored. Of course, case colors can fade and easily wash out in pictures.

Nonetheless, great colt. I agree on at least 7k for a nonrefinish, if not even higher for insurance purposes. If refinished, it’s still worth several thousand!

Thank you, I have looked up the serial number before and mfg date is 1902

Comment

Working...
                      X