Christmas rib roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas rib roast?

Yep, it’s time to order the Christmas roast so I called my butcher and a 8lbs prime rib = $150 +
    He said he would order any grade of beef I want/ can afford
    Is select grade going to be to dry ? It’s $100
    Or maybe a choice grade $125

Leaning towards choice grade as select might need to be cooked different like slow and low
    What say ye on the GS anyone ever cook select?

I’ve done a few select rib roasts and choice. I would definitely go with choice over select. Maybe just me or the roasts but I find a bigger difference between select and choice than between choice and prime.

Comment

for $25 go with the choice

Comment

Get the choice. But for the difference I’d get prime.

Comment

I bought full prime rib last week at the butcher. $20/lb for choice, bone in. 30 for prime. Even the butcher recommended choice. We will eat well at new years eve party.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Comment

For prime rib, I would go with the prime grade. Choice if you must, but for that cut I definitely would not go with select.

Comment

I would go with a 15lb boneless back loin.. KC strip, NY strip.. locally about $5.90 per lb.. remove all back fat.
              Melt 1/4lb of butter.. mix in 2 heaping tablespoons of Herb de Provence.. coat on all sides, add fresh ground black pepper, wrap in saranwrap overnight... set it out about 4hrs before cooking.. pellet grill.. set on smoke, 175,.. cook till it hits 140.. wrap in foil, pkace in a small cooler for about 1hr... carve , enjoy. Med/medium rare

Serve with sweet corn, cheesy taters, dinner rolls, and Sandhill plum jelly.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 12-06-2021, 09:59 PM.

Comment

spend the extra and do the choice

Comment

I’d get the choice bologna.

Comment

I usually do prime but have done choice and it comes out great. Select will be good but I would spend the extra for choice, gotta treat youself on occasion.
                    Last edited by rjet; 12-06-2021, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Choice and select are not prime but just a rib roast. I have done choice in the past and it’s come out good but prime is the best. Cut down on portions and do a 3 rib. Prices are nuts and being in the food business I can’t find a deal anywhere.

Comment

Tell your butcher you want a good choice roast with lots of marbling , only 2-3% of beef makes the prime grade

Comment

For a once a year celebration just spend the $150 on the prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                            For a once a year celebration just spend the $150 on the prime.

Hey have you been talking to my wife ?

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                              Hey have you been talking to my wife ?

The difference is 6 bags of corn.

I don’t say this to be ugly at all but if $40-$50 difference for a standing rib roast is going to make or break someone then they might need to change their meal choice.

We don’t do turkey or ham. We do a roast every year and it’s just the cost of doing business.

Comment

Working...
                              X