Kids First Shoulder Mount Size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids First Shoulder Mount Size?

My five year old killed his first buck back on Halloween and we euro mounted it on an engraved plaque I found. This kid is eat up with hunting, and he is ready for his big buck now he says!

How big was the first deer you deemed worthy of a shoulder mount for your kiddos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I mounted both of my youngest kid’s first bucks, sure wish I’d have done the same for my oldest. It’s something they can keep with them the rest of their lives and have the stories to go along with them.
    Attached Files

Comment

My youngest son got the bigger deer last year, his brother wasn't happy lol. I think the bigger one was mid 140s and my oldest sons was around 130.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

My son shot a 140” deer last year we mounted.

I think mid 130’s on an 8 point on up for a kids shoulder mount.

I’m not in the camp of shoulder mounting any old small deer he won’t appreciate when he gets older

Comment

I had my daughters first deer/buck mounted. She shot it at 13yds with her crossbow. It’s not something that I would have mounted for me, but it was awesome watching her on her first hunt and getting to share it with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I mounted my kids first small 8’s. Now those mounts are in the attic
            Euro till you shoot a real trophy is my call

Comment

Euro my sons first buck (small 4) at age 6. Getting a shoulder mount on a ten he killed this year (biggest killed off our place)

Comment

Ya i am in the crowd that says wait to mount one that deserves the shoulder mount. Euros look just as good esp on smaller bucks. The score is relative, when its one for the wall you will know. Best of luck to your son

Comment

Depends on the circumstances but I figured 130ish goes on the wall

Comment

i know its not the topic at hand but i think we are going to go straight euro mounts from now on. someone else mentioned it here in a differnet thread that they like to hold the antlers and look at them up close from time to time and with a shoulder mount you just cant do that.

i like the idea of being able to take them down easily and handle them when i want to.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                      i know its not the topic at hand but i think we are going to go straight euro mounts from now on. someone else mentioned it here in a differnet thread that they like to hold the antlers and look at them up close from time to time and with a shoulder mount you just cant do that.

i like the idea of being able to take them down easily and handle them when i want to.
                      X2

I say it's what the kiddo wants. Show them all the different types. Let them decide.

Comment

I have yet to kill one worthy enough The kids have a job so they can mount whatever they want

Comment

130 min for shoulder mounts. Nothing worse than wasting money to mount the kids “first buck” and it ends up in the garage or attic. I understand every kill is special and needs to be remembered and nice euros can do just that, but shoulder mounts need to be for better deer

Comment

I’m prob going way different than most, but mounted all their first bucks. Even a lil basket 6. The way I see it is they only get one first. Even if someday they end up in their barn or attic at least for now every time they see it up on their wall it brings them joy. The oldest treats his like an overpriced hat rack but it’s just money I’ll make more.

Comment

I didn’t get a shoulder until I was old enough to pay for it. Of course it was 130” 9 point and every other deer before that was either spikes or junk deer

I have my first Skull mounted with the casing and tag. Pretty sure all the ones before that became dog chews

Comment

Working...
                              X