Grapevine Hunting 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
    After 10-11 consecutive years of drawing, I finally got in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats buddy - you've got more places to hunt than time this year! if you need someone to hunt in your stead, i'm your guy

Comment

Went out to scout today. First time stepping foot on Grapevine COE property. Here's the synopsis:

Very thick!
      1 hour(ish) from the house
      9 miles traveled (both on foot & bike)
      (Side note - this was my first time using a bike when scouting...game changer!!!)
      2 doe
      0 pigs
      A few tracks, but not much
      7 buzzards
      47 spiders at or around my face
      0 mosquitos (thankfully!!)
      1 flat tire (luckily it was about half a mile from the truck on the way back)

Noticed that the further west I scouted, the more beer cans I found in the woods. PICK UP YOUR **** TRASH PEOPLE!

Also, as mentioned before...it was thick! Somebody forgot to mow. I covered a good amount of ground and didn't find any spots that I would consider setting up at.

Oh well, guess I'll have to get back out there another time and see what else there is!

Comment

How was the water levels out there

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Therooster240g View Post
          How was the water levels out there

It was my first time, so I'm not sure how it normally is. I would say it was not wet. I came a cross a few puddles and mud, but nothing serious. I meant to check out a few sloughs that I saw on satellite, but couldn't get to them because it was thick and haven't found a good way through everything yet.

Every creek that I came across seemed normal to dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy3-17 View Post
            Went out to scout today. First time stepping foot on Grapevine COE property. Here's the synopsis:

Very thick!
            1 hour(ish) from the house
            9 miles traveled (both on foot & bike)
            (Side note - this was my first time using a bike when scouting...game changer!!!)
            2 doe
            0 pigs
            A few tracks, but not much
            7 buzzards
            47 spiders at or around my face
            0 mosquitos (thankfully!!)
            1 flat tire (luckily it was about half a mile from the truck on the way back)

Noticed that the further west I scouted, the more beer cans I found in the woods. PICK UP YOUR **** TRASH PEOPLE!

Also, as mentioned before...it was thick! Somebody forgot to mow. I covered a good amount of ground and didn't find any spots that I would consider setting up at.

Oh well, guess I'll have to get back out there another time and see what else there is!
            Sounds about right! I would encourage you to keep scouting and find some spots because if you got the golden ticket, you'll want to take advantage of it. There are plenty of really good spots to setup, just keep after it. It gets easier to navigate through there once fall hits and stuff starts to die. I never liked walking through there around this time of year.

Comment

Other than the 2 main parking spots, is there any other places to park out there? I was out after all the rain and a lot was super wet and flooded. Saw 3 doe, 2 pigs ( shot 1), 2 unknown deer( just saw the back end through trees), 3 rabbits, 1 lone fawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy3-17 View Post
                It was my first time, so I'm not sure how it normally is. I would say it was not wet. I came a cross a few puddles and mud, but nothing serious. I meant to check out a few sloughs that I saw on satellite, but couldn't get to them because it was thick and haven't found a good way through everything yet.

Every creek that I came across seemed normal to dry.

First year I hunted out ther I didnt see a single deer.
                Second year I had deer running all around me...no shots fired
                Third year finally killed a deer.

Havent been drawn in 4 or 5 years.

It's a nasty place full of opportunity, hikers, bikers, poachers, dogs, pigs and coyotes with an occasional bruiser off in the distance.

Eventually you will find some spots and when you do, you will find some guys already there. Dont worry though, hunt smart and you might just shoot a deer 100 yards away from another hunters setup.

Comment

Got drawn on my first attempt at Grapevine Lake. Super excited. No idea where I’m going to set up shop though lol. Looking toward the western edge but I don’t know of any places to access it from. Any pointers for a newbie?

Comment

Went out today to look for some pigs. Put 12 miles on some shoes. Saw 2 deer in the pig only and fawn. There were a lot of people out. Oh and a lot of spiders. Found someones old climber still hanging. Its pretty thick in spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Therooster240g View Post
                      Went out today to look for some pigs. Put 12 miles on some shoes. Saw 2 deer in the pig only and fawn. There were a lot of people out. Oh and a lot of spiders. Found someones old climber still hanging. Its pretty thick in spots.

Nice! I'm heading back out there soon to scout some more. When you say people, did you see other hunters, or were they hikers and bicyclists?

Comment

Hiker and cyclist, and some screaming girls somewhere on the trails.

Comment

Has anyone ever put cameras here? Interested to see how it went if you did.

Comment

Godda have that spider stick for sure!

Comment

Only one deer today on the other side of the bridge. A lot of tracks in the creek beds. Oh and 1 tick trying to find its next meal on me.

Last edited by Therooster240g; 09-11-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Anyone gona youth hunt out there this weekend? I plan on sitting in a tree w my son. Be glad to meet up w a father and son and help em out.

Comment

Working...
                                X