No announcement yet.

Middle of North Texas Hunting Thread....Season 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cranes were roosting on one of my ponds in October. They left and haven't seen any since.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
      Big uns are out runnin round. Lots of the mid sized and smaller bucks are busted up now.
      Jimmy laid one down this afternoon, 155-160 guessing

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
        Jimmy laid one down this afternoon, 155-160 guessing
        He did! I saw the pics.

Comment

I went out this past weekend. Didn't see much to get worked up about. A couple of nice, but young, bucks. Not much else.

There was a cool happening on Saturday morning though. The cranes finally arrived. In all their glorious squawking by the thousands. They roost on the Red River, immediately below one of our setups. Well, someone was hunting them on the river on Saturday morning. Now I've noticed that when they take off in the mornings, it's a pretty organized process. They definitely have a plan. Well, the hunters fired off two shots, sounded like 10 gauge shotguns. Anyway, the birds on the river came unglued. No telling how many thousand birds took off at once. Looked like bats flying out from a cave. The sky was crazy with wings, squawking, and general chaos. I really wished I had my good camera with me. It was a sight I'll not soon forget.

Will try to chase deer again in a couple of weeks...

Oh yeah, my lease mate shot an about 150", 225#, mature 11 pt on one of our pastures. Great buck.
          Last edited by mikemorvan; 11-29-2021, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Son of a gun. December what ever.
            Sitting here on the big wheat field, which looks like the Sahara desert in shorts and t shirt? It's like 80-82
            WE NEED SOME RAIN!!!!! Bad Bad

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
              Son of a gun. December what ever.
              Sitting here on the big wheat field, which looks like the Sahara desert in shorts and t shirt? It's like 80-82
              WE NEED SOME RAIN!!!!! Bad Bad
              Good Luck!
              Yes we need rain Really Bad Bad!

Comment

This thread has little action this year? Still need rain like no other. We had another fire north of us Friday. They supposedly evacuated Electra for awhile.
                We have taken out 4-5 culls. No big uns yet.

Comment

Most of our bigger bucks have went into hiding. Still no real numbers of cranes & needing rain more every day.

Comment

Cooler weather next weekend may, hopefully, have the older animals moving. My son and myself are trying again. We’ll see…

Comment

Wind was nasty Friday afternoon but cooler temps Saturday and Sunday made for good hunts. Older bucks are locked up with does and run down from what seems to be a long rut but still a lot of activity. We can’t seem to keep the pigs out of the feeders but the deer are fighting for their turn too. Got the jump on a nice old ten that was locked up on a doe Friday and Saturday, finally slipped up late Saturday and gave me a shot. Not our biggest but a solid mature buck always feels good!

ac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post
                        Wind was nasty Friday afternoon but cooler temps Saturday and Sunday made for good hunts. Older bucks are locked up with does and run down from what seems to be a long rut but still a lot of activity. We can’t seem to keep the pigs out of the feeders but the deer are fighting for their turn too. Got the jump on a nice old ten that was locked up on a doe Friday and Saturday, finally slipped up late Saturday and gave me a shot. Not our biggest but a solid mature buck always feels good!

ac

Congrats on a Great Buck.

Comment

We've knocked out a couple more does but only one buck so far. Got decent ones hitting all the feeders but not quite with the age we are looking for. Big fire in Clay County came close to us maybe it pushed some big deer into our neck of the mesquite brush (fingers crossed)

Comment

Anybody know anything about the fire that was burning SE of Lueders on Friday? Wind was honking out of the SW so I was worried it was at risk. Never heard a peep.

ac

Comment

Very nice buck. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post

ac

Congratulations, that is an outstanding buck.

Comment

Working...
                                X