No announcement yet.

Muzzleloader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of the inlines with 209 primers mentioned above will work well. Pellets are simpler for someone starting out.

Stay away from Powerbelts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Muzzleloader?

CVA optima magnum here. BDC Nikon scope. Uses 209 shotgun primers and has the removable breech plug for unloading and cleaning it with ease.

I shoot 150 gr charge., 250 gr. 45 cal Hornady SST Sabot and it’s really accurate at 100 yards.

Get the stainless barrel. Just clean it with hot water and a brush then run a coat of bore butter in it. Simple and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post

Stay away from Powerbelts.

This is stupid, find what your gun likes to eat, maybe yours doesn’t like belts but mine loves them, I’ve tried countless sabot and powder combos & 295 grain aero tips with two 777 pellets is the magic combo for my TC
        Last edited by SC-001; 11-26-2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I’d opt for a Thompson Center Impact - it should have a 1" adjustable butt pad so it can be shortened for a women’s LOP.

Use simple .50 cal sabot bullets - Barnes or something similar.

Look for Blackhorn 209 powder substitute - minimum smoke and doesn’t require cleaning between shots. Blackhorn used to provide a service where you send them your breech pug and they’d drill the flash hole out a tad to improve ignition - for free. Don’t know if they still do or not.

Try the Modern Muzzleloader forum for additional info and questions. Good luck.

Modern muzzleloading hunting forum & muzzle loading classifieds. Modern muzzle loading forums for inline muzzleloading, white muzzleloaders, bullet casting, smokeless, sidelock, traditional.
          Last edited by tpcollins; 11-26-2021, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I’ve got a cva as well and it shoots accurately and it’s easy to play with. Anything shooting sabots(plastic sleeves) will foul up because the friction inside the barrel will leave plastic residue which is expected. Because of this you don need to clean it every couple shots regardless of what others may say. You don’t want to get a fouled breech or you’ll temporarily be out of business. I got an inexpensive 9x vortex and it’s a shooter. Enjoy.

Comment

I just picked mine up. It seems currently the 209 primers are the hardest to find out of all the things needed. Is that gonna change anytime in the near future or will 209 primers become an endangered species?

Comment

Muzzleloader?

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                This is stupid, find what your gun likes to eat, maybe yours doesn’t like belts but mine loves them, I’ve tried countless sabot and powder combos & 295 grain aero tips with two 777 pellets is the magic combo for my TC

I’m not talking about what a particular gun likes to shoot, I’m talking about performance on deer.

I realize that they are popular for beginners (I shot them in my first muzzleloader), but lighter weight PowerBelt bullets are at the bottom of the list in that regard. I wish someone had told me that when I started out, could’ve saved me some lost deer.

Heavier PowerBelts are consistent deer killers, most people don’t shoot them. They still make a lead .405g and a .348g from what I understand.

Last edited by JonW; 12-07-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I have had very good luck with the CVA Wolfs. And, I have never lost a deer shot with the Powerbelts.

Comment

I bought a tradition vortex a few years ago. I was using some of the magnum powder charges which are 60 grains, and the thing is actually really fun to shoot. very light recoil. my boys killed a few javelinas with it. They all had complete pass throughs as well. I'm sure it would work on a deer at shorter ranges as well.

like mentioned, they require cleaning. I clean mine every few shots, otherwise it becomes almost unmanageable.

Comment

CVA Accura V2 is what I bought last year and have been a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                        I am not sure if a ‘stupid’ comment, but I have had zero issues shooting the 224gr PowerBelts. I shoot them in the neck though.

Comment

Another vote for the CVA Wolf

Shop the Worlds Largest Online Selection of Inline Black Powder Muzzleloaders! CVA, Traditions, Thompson/Center, Knight & More! Best Prices. Fast Shipping. Expert Advice!

Comment

So where is everyone buying there 209 primers currently?

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                              So where is everyone buying there 209 primers currently?
                              I've yet to find any. Buddy of mine reloads 16 ga and said the primers may be getting caught up.

Note: be careful when you search for them. Found several sites that are scamming people that they are in.

It seemed each site I plugged into Scam Detector came up with negative reports.

Comment

Is there a better time of the year to buy them?

Comment

Working...
                                X