HOGSTOP Feral hog contraceptive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOGSTOP Feral hog contraceptive

What do you guys think about this? Will it work? It looks like this is the only thing that might work. https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...4-af6267ebb03c

I didn’t see anything in that article about who was gonna pay for this. The State of Texas is mostly responsible for the hog population getting out of control, so the state should pay for it IMO. If they would have ignored hunters and jumped on this many years ago hogs wouldn’t be in city limits rooting up yards right now, we wouldn’t have them rooting up food plots, and we wouldn’t have to pen feeders, or, in my case, fence your house and yard off from the rest of your property. I hate the sorry bastages and kill every one I can, but it’s a losing battle and has been for some time.

Comment

Won't work. There is no way you get every boar to eat the stuff and the sow will keep coming into heat until she is bred by a boar that is fertile.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
        Won't work. There is no way you get every boar to eat the stuff and the sow will keep coming into heat until she is bred by a boar that is fertile.
        We we could just slow them down somewhat, it has to help.

Comment

I'm sure it'll help reduce the population. I don't think it will eliminate them but surely it will help.

Comment

You need “hog specific feeders” to keep deer and other animals out of it or they can become sterile too. Good luck with that.

I see more unintended consequences than results from something like this.

Comment

I didn't like this paragraph.

Can other animals be affected by HogStop?
              Yes. Non-ruminant animals such as deer, raccoons, sheep and goats may be affected by a reduction in fertility, if eaten in large quantities. Bull fertility may be affected. To avoid non-target animal effects, HogStop recommends hog-specific feeders that work to keep out all other animal types.

Comment

Kinda like poison. Might work, probably have adverse effects to the rest of the animals, and cost a bunch of money that those who complain about hogs won't pay anyway.

Comment

The only chemical I would use is "lead"...

Comment

I wouldn’t allow its use on my property. They root I shoot. We get along just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      I wouldn’t allow its use on my property. They root I shoot. We get along just fine.
                      I would try it on our place, put a cell camera on it and see what eating it. If deer use it, remove it.

Comment

Just like Poison, there is no way to keep non-target animals out of it.

Comment

3 things....

1. How do we get rattlesnakes to eat it?
                          2. Why hasn't this been made for mosquitoes?
                          3. Can we put this out in communities for human consumption? I think it can help with future election cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                            I didn't like this paragraph.

Can other animals be affected by HogStop?
                            Yes. Non-ruminant animals such as deer, raccoons, sheep and goats may be affected by a reduction in fertility, if eaten in large quantities. Bull fertility may be affected. To avoid non-target animal effects, HogStop recommends hog-specific feeders that work to keep out all other animal types.
                            Makes you wonder how it ever got approved for use.

Stopping the fertility of boars is pointless because you could make 100 boars infertile but that one boar that isn't impacted will breed all of the sows those 100 didn't. We've always said killing sows is killing the factories.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                              I would try it on our place, put a cell camera on it and see what eating it. If deer use it, remove it.
                              I’d rather have the hogs. I can hunt them all year long.

Comment

Working...
                              X