No announcement yet.

Reasons we Bailed and Moved to Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful place! I live 60 miles north of Dallas and the constant influx of Dallas residents, Californians, and yankees make me think that maybe I'm in Dallas. Every major road is under construction and people are getting less considerate daily. I'm itching to move, but I have so much tied up and invested here...

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
      Reasons I could never live in Iowa

1) They only have small farms up there. Texas has big places.
      2) My wife has family there. I don't want to be around my in-laws.
      3) They are so rural, we have to conversate with racoons. Also when the combines hit the FM roads, it blocks the path around them for 15-20 mins.
      4) It's **** cold in the winter, like **** cold.
      5) Don't matter where you live, someone will always steal something from you.
      6) They don't have HEBs or Whataburger.
      7) The deer have white horns, not Texas chocolate.

and lastly why I couldn't live in Iowa
      8) well it's...... Iowa for crying out loud. I can't remember the last time someone stood up proudly and declared they were from Iowa. Heck most Americans couldn't find it on a map

But seriously, glad you are enjoying it.

[emoji23]

#6 is the dealbreaker for me.

Comment

Nice looking place.

Comment

Congrats on living your dream! Married to a 5th generation Rockport girl, so I'm afraid I'm here for life.

Comment

Keep rubbing it in man, keep rubbing it in..........

Comment

Worked there several times! People up there are great. All the food tastes the same though!! Hope you brought seasoning!! The crappie are small and I don’t care about deer hunting much so I’m out!!

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                Reasons I could never live in Iowa

1) They only have small farms up there. Texas has big places.
                2) My wife has family there. I don't want to be around my in-laws.
                3) They are so rural, we have to conversate with racoons. Also when the combines hit the FM roads, it blocks the path around them for 15-20 mins.
                4) It's **** cold in the winter, like **** cold.
                5) Don't matter where you live, someone will always steal something from you.
                6) They don't have HEBs or Whataburger.
                7) The deer have white horns, not Texas chocolate.

and lastly why I couldn't live in Iowa
                8) well it's...... Iowa for crying out loud. I can't remember the last time someone stood up proudly and declared they were from Iowa. Heck most Americans couldn't find it on a map

But seriously, glad you are enjoying it.

I thought you were listing reasons NOT to go to Iowa???

I've been to Iowa once and it was enough to kick around the idea of moving there. I stayed in Dubuque and travelled down to Bellevue for the week I was there.

Comment

In response to Buck wild,

1. I have permission to hunt 3000 acres thanks to awesome neighbors.

2. We love our Iowa family. No drama.

3. We moved here to get away from people. I have never had trouble passing a combine.

4. We love having true 4 seasons. I will take 3 months of cold over 5 months of heat.

5. We may get burned eventually, but we never lock our doors. Neither do our neighbors.

6. I wouldn't step foot in a HEB after what they did to Mike Lindell. Besides we have Hy-Vee and tenderloins.

7. Some of the proudest, hardest working people I have ever met live here. They are known as farmers. ANF (America Needs Farmers). I am glad most Americans can't find it. Living here is like going back in time.

8. Not all Iowa bucks have white horns. This 209 gross/187 net from this past October should meet your criteria for horn color.

And Thank You.....we love it here.[emoji846][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-26-2021, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Looks peaceful. How is the night sky?

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                      Man you made the right decision. I’m third generation Texan and I never ever even thought I would give it a second thought about leaving but I’ll tell you now that if I can make it happen I’ll exit texas when I retire.
                      We have a very nice get away with acreage on richland chambers but all that metro mess is closing in even on the south side of the lake where we are is growing. 10 years ago I thought we had the perfect little hide away that would make it another 30 years before we saw growth, unfortunately that was wrong. I’m sick of the summer heat too. Iowa really hasn’t crossed my mind but I love Oklahoma and Arkansas.
                      I would commit to northern Oklahoma now if my wife was onboard.
                      Funny thing is my step father was from Iowa and we would go up every summer and I hated it, other than fishing the skunk river and everyone made fun of my him for being a yankee.

I say you got a real good thing going there and I hope one day to be able to say the only car I saw was the mail man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      The Skunk River is just northeast of us. The North Fabuis flows thru our place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a beautiful place.

Comment

Beautiful place and you have all the reasons for moving there down for sure.
                          And then there are the reasons that one guy. Well thought know there is one in every crowd.

Comment

I lived in Northern Iowa near Mason City selling for Asgrow seed corn in 1991-92. Yep, nothing wrong with Iowa at all. Ames was fantastic.....and my niece actually graduated from Iowa state a few years ago. Southern and Eastern definitely prettier but overall not bad at all. Enjoy the ride and politics be ****ed......LIFE is precious!!![emoji120]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wait a minute. We still have about 2,000,000 more illegals to transport throughout the country. Sooner or later they will be coming to a town or city near you/me. They’re already here in Katy. You can run but you just can’t hide folks. This was the last place on earth I wanted to end up in. 20 miles west of Houston. We were on 35 acres in the Wet mountains 40 miles west of Pueblo, outside of Florence. Then the wife’s job goes south and here we are, again. Came full circle in five years and it sux. Eventually if you want to be safe, secure, you will probably have to live somewhere so inhospitable or remote that no one would or possible could ever live there for any length of time. Additionally, as we age, we’ll have to be closer to medical care and family.
                              I wish y’all all the best man. I’m 14 years older than my wife and take care of our 26 year old special needs son. She’s still in her wage earning years and wants to make good money. I get that, but it still sucks

Comment

I ordered biscuits and gravy in Iowa one time and they came out with brown gravy! **** Iowa!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X